Did Poorly AGAIN switching to another career. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Carbon_Martian

Why would you say to quit if over 100 credits with less than a 3.3?? Couldn’t I just pursue a post bacc at that point

Members don't see this ad.

You know your academic standing and interests better then others. I'd say that the "practical" point to call it quits is anything over 100 credits with <3.3. Anything below that is salvageable in a reasonable timeline

That suggestion was made under the assumption that you weren't willing to do a post-bacc (since you sounded on the fence as it was). A post-bacc is a completely reasonable route. The 100 credit suggestion was made for people who are expected to graduate with ~140 credits.

That suggestion was made under the assumption that you weren't willing to do a post-bacc (since you sounded on the fence as it was). A post-bacc is a completely reasonable route. The 100 credit suggestion was made for people who are expected to graduate with ~140 credits.

140 is a lot man haha

You mean 120?

Oh yeah. 120 I’d be fuc*ed

But. I’m still gonna keep trying. I did well in my other upper divisions this semester and don’t see myself dropping later on. (Good professors, easy classes)

I’ve done well but then not so well. So I’m gonna keep going hopefully man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Respectfully, I disagree with this sentiment. Assuming you're referring to the academic years, the reality of it is that in medical school you've got one job and it's simply to study and pass step 1. As a biology and chemistry double major I'm currently 22 credits in upper division coursework and I have zero issue keeping up with the workload. Why? Because I recently took my MCAT and have all the volunteering I need to apply. The only things on my plate are coursework and research. Last semester when I was preparing for the MCAT, volunteering at both a hospital and in a hospice care center, and doing research I had trouble keeping up with 12 credits - and they were easy courses compared to the ones I'm taking now. In short, I don't think one semester of coursework is a good reflection of a students academic capacity.

To clarify: on your rotations (particularly Surgery) in the clinical years, you will be asked
- to get out of bed and be at the hospital by 4-5AM every day (do NOT be late) 5-7 days a week for pre-rounds
- to round, assist in the OR, and get "pimped" (i.e. grilled) on anything your attending feels like asking, until you are dismissed (anywhere from 5PM to 3AM, depending on your resident - yes, I left after midnight several times on my surgery rotation)
- while you simultaneously spend any 'free'-time studying (more accurately, cramming)...
(1) pertinent anatomy/phys/path/pharm for all cases you might be in the next day to impress your attending (50% of your grade) and
(2) board-review questions for your end-of-rotation shelf exam (50% of your grade), which is a nationally-administered exam that is graded on a percentile basis and which I guarantee is nothing like what you will have taken thus far in undergrad/the MCAT.

Multi-tasking under academic pressure is a huge part of med school and even more so during residency (i.e. working 80+ hours/week while needing to impress your seniors/attendings with clinical knowledge and competence while also passing your annual in-house exam + your end of residency boards).

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah but I have two bad semesters counting against me now -_-

I messed up. No excuses. I own it. My fault. I did try my best tho. Lol.

Nah Bro you didn't do your best. I mean to say that in a generally positive way. I do believe that you may feel like you gave it your best. But I doubt that your current performance is the best of your potential. Some likely issues not related to pure effort can be...
1. Study methods- Some schools have learning centers or maybe you can research different study methods online like Anki etc. I can tell you from first hand experience that some of my friends put in INSANE hours in the library and think racking up study hours = better exam grades. I study efficiently (when well rested/ learning whats high yield/ Anki etc)
2. Test anxiety- You mentioned that you felt you knew the material, sometimes this may be that you are familiar when someone is speaking or working problems but maybe you really DID'NT know the material cold, otherwise you may have anxiety and test taking issues. This can also be addressed.
3. Maturity- This is also a very likely issue and I do NOT mean to call you immature. Going to be early, waking up focused, eating healthy etc. and getting in your study before you go out and do fun things is important. Also its fine and cool if you study for 6 hours that day but when you go out to the football game and pound beers for 4 hours you aren't going to perform well the next day or whatever. You will find that non-trad's especially those coming from military or para-military backgrounds tend to perform well in UG. Trust me they are not walking around with higher IQs from the military water or MRE's. They have discipline and structure their days well and with their education as a priority.

You are not a BAD student, and you tend to perform decently well. It seems apparent that you trip and fall when things get tough and its not because you are stupid or cannot handle it.
Get yourself together. Do not SHOW reinvention... BECOME REINVENTED.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the mean for DO acceptances is 3.4 so no I wouldn't say to quit with a 3.3. But you do not want an acceptance to med school with a track record of bombing that one hard class each semester or its going to be a long road for you...

Respectfully, I disagree with this sentiment. Assuming you're referring to the academic years, the reality of it is that in medical school you've got one job and it's simply to study and pass step 1. As a biology and chemistry double major I'm currently 22 credits in upper division coursework and I have zero issue keeping up with the workload. Why? Because I recently took my MCAT and have all the volunteering I need to apply. The only things on my plate are coursework and research. Last semester when I was preparing for the MCAT, volunteering at both a hospital and in a hospice care center, and doing research I had trouble keeping up with 12 credits - and they were easy courses compared to the ones I'm taking now. In short, I don't think one semester of coursework is a good reflection of a students academic capacity.
I had forgotten that the o p was still in undergraduate. I agree that a single bad semester is not ruinous. However the further you go into your academic career as an undergrad the more we expect you to do well.

But more concerning for the o p is that we do not like to see uneven GPA trends

If the o p had been somebody doing a post bac or an SMP, then it would have been curtains.

I had forgotten that the o p was still in undergraduate. I agree that a single bad semester is not ruinous. However the further you go into your academic career as an undergrad the more we expect you to do well.

But more concerning for the o p is that we do not like to see uneven GPA trends

If the o p had been somebody doing a post bac or an SMP, then it would have been curtains.

I agree. The further you go, the better you must do. Yeah I don’t think my gpa would be “uneven” as it’d still show a steady upwards trend.

And even if this were a post bacc/SMP, I feel like there are people that have messed up “reinvention” and still done better in further courses and gotten in. I know of many people that went against “SDN wisdom” and made it to med school. Not even URMs, athletes, etc.

I agree. The further you go, the better you must do. Yeah I don’t think my gpa would be “uneven” as it’d still show a steady upwards trend.

And even if this were a post bacc/SMP, I feel like there are people that have messed up “reinvention” and still done better in further courses and gotten in. I know of many people that went against “SDN wisdom” and made it to med school. Not even URMs, athletes, etc.

Hard to argue with cases in point. All I can give you is my own experience as an Adcom. And it's possible that those people might have made it into med school, but might not made it through med school.

A "W-shaped trend is not good, even if the right hand slope is steeper. The risk of underperforming badly in med school is real.

Hard to argue with cases in point. All I can give you is my own experience as an Adcom. And it's possible that those people might have made it into med school, but might not made it through med school.

A "W-shaped trend is not good, even if the right hand slope is steeper. The risk of underperforming badly in med school is real.

I understand. And I do agree. I’m just saying that things aren’t as concrete and absolute as SDN wisdom. If I graduate with a weird trend, I’m just gonna pursue a post bacc and try to get in that way. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try an SMP. I know this grade isn’t good obviously. But I also don’t think one or two classes determine much.

I’ve done well in other hard sciences but I do see what you’re saying

I understand. And I do agree. I’m just saying that things aren’t as concrete and absolute as SDN wisdom. If I graduate with a weird trend, I’m just gonna pursue a post bacc and try to get in that way. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try an SMP. I know this grade isn’t good obviously. But I also don’t think one or two classes determine much.

I’ve done well in other hard sciences but I do see what you’re saying
You know what you need to do.

CS
Finance
Public Health
Regulatory
Administrative work

The careers are endless , just need to figure out what you like.