Did you bring your parents to orientation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mom is dead bent on going to orientation with me. I guess she's still going through the empty nest syndrome... did anyone else bring their parents to orientation? :oops: I can imagine the embarrassment already. I remember doing it for undergrad, but this is different. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

If you are going to UF, they may not have room for guests at the meeting we all have to attend in Gainesville. Students from all 4 campuses will all be there. This may be a way to tell your mom no without really telling her no. Good luck :luck: !

I actually think the degree to which parents are involved is really, really lame. As soon as you walk out of high school, your education is none of their business. If there was a way to keep my parents from all of the lame ceremonies I have to go to, I would. Sadly, they auto-mail invites to parents without my consent. Hell, I wouldn't even go to graduation if I didn't have to. I want to just go get the stupid little piece of paper saying I'm a PharmD and let that be that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ethyl said:
My mom is dead bent on going to orientation with me. I guess she's still going through the empty nest syndrome... did anyone else bring their parents to orientation? :oops: I can imagine the embarrassment already. I remember doing it for undergrad, but this is different. :oops:

There were a couple of parents at one of the interviews I went to, and I thought it was completely bizarre. It would have never occurred to me to bring my parents to anything involving my graduate school education. Unless your school specifically mentioned having events that family was welcome to attend, then you need to find a way to tell her that she will be out of place.

My orientation at Touro just ended and I don't think anyone's parents attended. Although the activities and talks we had were very informative and useful for the students I don't think parents would have wanted to sit through everything. Plus I don't think there would have been enough room anyway.

My mom and my aunt came along during my pre-orientation. They wont be there for the comprehensive orientation though.

For my orientation I got a reservation form that had a spot for # of guests that will attend. There was also a seperate agenda for them to follow. They were to go on tours and that type of thing. My feeling is that parents should be supportive, but stay at home unless you ask them to come. It is professional school, not the first day of kindergarten.

Exactly my thoughts.

farmskool said:
It is professional school, not the first day of kindergarten.

Reactions: 1 users
I would never invite my parents to anything relating to school. Heck, I didn't even tell them about open house and parent teacher days when I was in elementary school.

I also feel the same for graduation days. I really don't care to attend my own graduations, if they could, I would prefer they mail me my diploma. I'm just not into sitting in an auditorium full of people for hours just to get my diploma. Whether I cross that stage or not, I'm still gonna be a graduate.

WVUPharm2007 said:
As soon as you walk out of high school, your education is none of their business.

Unless you are paying for all your college, then it is their damn business. :rolleyes: Besides, even if you were paying for your own college, would it kill you to spend an extra day with the people who busted their asses of for 18 years to raise you?

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, and yes, I did bring my parents with me to orientation.

If I get into my mom's alma mater, I might bring her along so she can do her own thing while I'm in orientation. She graduated in '91 and I'm sure there have been lots of changes she can check out.

My mom loves to go with me when I go to conferences and meetings because it's an excuse to go *shopping* later on.

If I end up not going to her alma mater, then I'll go it alone.

Edit: Shoot. I thought I was posting in the Allo forum. Sorry guys.

I remember at my brother's orientation, there were a lot of parents there. But to bring your parents to your interview is unprofessional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I brought my mommy.

Unfortunately, my school immediately kicked me out and called up the next person on the waitlist, who gladly accepted. Turns out this school had a "Mature Adult Students Only" clause in their professional program guidelines, which allowed them to delete me from their student body without question.

Okay, this didn't really happen.. but you get the drift.

No one brings their parents to UF orientation. You will be publicly humiliated. Tell her that parents aren't allowed.

dgroulx said:
No one brings their parents to UF orientation. You will be publicly humiliated. Tell her that parents aren't allowed.

:thumbup: She might follow my car though. I'd have to drive pretty fast to lose her.

ethyl said:
:thumbup: She might follow my car though. I'd have to drive pretty fast to lose her.

Tell her that they rescheduled the orientation date, and give her a fake date after your orientation is over. On the day of your orientation, just tell her you're going out with some friends if she asks you where you're going.

ethyl said:
Ummm... if this is really what your parents are like, maybe it's time to move out.

ethyl said:

Is your mother Glenn Close or something? "I'm GOING to your orientation DAN!" :smuggrin:

Just say no, tell her why and that you'll be sure to invite her to the white coat and graduation ceremonies. If she breaks down then get her a tissue. :laugh:

josh6718 said:
Unless you are paying for all your college, then it is their damn business.

I am. And, no, it isn't any of their damn business.

Besides, even if you were paying for your own college, would it kill you to spend an extra day with the people who busted their asses of for 18 years to raise you?

Yes.

Uggh...this thread reminds me how much older than everyone else I'm going to be.

ethyl said:
UF tells you not to bring any guests, which is a good thing. Its business, no need for someone who doesn't really factor into the equation to be taking up space.

kkelloww said:
Uggh...this thread reminds me how much older than everyone else I'm going to be.

It makes me feel old too. Some of the people I'll be starting with are 19 and have never lived away from home. I've actually had parents call me about having their children become my roommates. I know there are really responsible young students out there, but I determined to live with someone 22+.

I've seen some really wacked-out parents, so I didn't find it hard to believe your post.. :scared:

If your parents are paying for your school, you should pull your head out of your ass and not complain about it, you should feel lucky.

rxlynn said:
There were a couple of parents at one of the interviews I went to, and I thought it was completely bizarre. It would have never occurred to me to bring my parents to anything involving my graduate school education. Unless your school specifically mentioned having events that family was welcome to attend, then you need to find a way to tell her that she will be out of place.
I'm 32 and my Mom and my wife came to my interview with me. My Mom wasn't the only parent there there. The dean of the school took all of the parents and loved ones on a tour of the school while we were being interviewed. I thought it was pretty cool and so did my Mom and wife! :) The older you get, the more you appreciate your parents! Enjoy them while they're here! :)

mana20 said:
If your parents are paying for your school, you should pull your head out of your ass and not complain about it, you should feel lucky.

They're not.
ugh.gif

kkelloww said:

LMAO I was thinking the same thing!

Just tell her that you would love for her to come but the school has requested, due to space issues, that guests of any kind are not to be allowed at orientation.

Your doing her a favor really. You will have a lot of boring administrative junk told to you, and you will likely be distracted filling out forms and whatnot the whole time. I was pretty bored at my husbands nursing school orientation. I also felt like a tool even going with him, but turns out everyone that had a spouse brought them.

What do you guys think about parents at your White Coat Ceramony or at your Pharm School graduation?

DownonthePharm said:
What do you guys think about parents at your White Coat Ceramony or at your Pharm School graduation?
To me, this is totally different than orientation or an interview situation. For one thing, you get a specific invitation for guests to these two events!

DownonthePharm said:
Just tell her that you would love for her to come but the school has requested, due to space issues, that guests of any kind are not to be allowed at orientation.

Your doing her a favor really. You will have a lot of boring administrative junk told to you, and you will likely be distracted filling out forms and whatnot the whole time. I was pretty bored at my husbands nursing school orientation. I also felt like a tool even going with him, but turns out everyone that had a spouse brought them.

Wow.. I don't think even I want to go to orientation now. Sounds :sleep:.
I don't know about the white coat ceremony, but they and my grandparents will definitely be going to my graduation. Gotta make em proud since I'll have the first doctorate in my family since 5+ generations ago. ;)

haha My mom came along for an orientation dinner but most of us were still in high school at the time so I didn't find it unusual. Those dinners are so boring, it's good to have company

ethyl said:

hah i don't know what to tell you. if you were going to orientation for undergrad i would be like it is good for transition...but alas you aren't haha.

i think it is funny that people take their parents to pharmacy interviews.

At my pre-professional day (early one day orientation) parents and spouses were specifically invited. They had special workshops just for them. My husband had a good laugh at some of the questions asked by parents...

At our full orientation, there will be no guests.

At white coat, I'm bringing my husband, my mother, her partner and my sister. Maybe some other people too.

WVUPharm2007 said:
I actually think the degree to which parents are involved is really, really lame. As soon as you walk out of high school, your education is none of their business. If there was a way to keep my parents from all of the lame ceremonies I have to go to, I would. Sadly, they auto-mail invites to parents without my consent. Hell, I wouldn't even go to graduation if I didn't have to. I want to just go get the stupid little piece of paper saying I'm a PharmD and let that be that.

I have to say I totally agree. I think they make a big deal about the White Coat ceremony and that's fine, but then inviting parents to attend orientation and the curriculum overview is a little too much. I have parents who think my education is the most important thing but they couldn't care less what I am taking this semester and whatnot. I doubt they even understand that the didactic portion is 3 years and the last year is rotations.

No one brought their parents to my school's orientation. It'd probably be one of the most awkward moments, and you'd be labelled as the one who 'brought their parents'.

Even if you do bring your parents, everyone will forget about it in a few months because you are barraged with 80+ random people and you don't remember anything about them at all. By year three, you are glad to be going on rotations because you don't have to see the same damned group of people every day.

Requiem said:
No one brought their parents to my school's orientation. It'd probably be one of the most awkward moments, and you'd be labelled as the one who 'brought their parents'.

oh god can you imagine being labeled as the one who "brought their parents" through your 4 years.

if she wants to make the trip with you then thats fine...
but she needs to realize she will not be welcome to the actual orientation and will have to find something else to do during the day.

pharmacy school orientation is TOTALLY different tha undergrad orientation.

i dont think my parents even went to high school orientation....

According to the UF orientaion letter,
http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/orient06/file1.pdf , guests are not allowed at orientation.

"The College of Pharmacy will provide an Orientation for you that is exclusively for our college and is mandatory for you to attend. This Orientation is for entering COP students only, therefore guests are prohibited."

RachGator said:
According to the UF orientaion letter,
http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/orient06/file1.pdf , guests are not allowed at orientation.

"The College of Pharmacy will provide an Orientation for you that is exclusively for our college and is mandatory for you to attend. This Orientation is for entering COP students only, therefore guests are prohibited."

I got that email too. :thumbup:

ethyl said:
I got that email too. :thumbup:
See you at the all campus orientation in Gainesville : ). Are you Orlando campus?

I wouldn't have any problems with my parents coming. It's a free country and I'm not ashamed of them. I think they're great people and if it wasn't for them I wouldn't even be going to graduate school. Ha...what a laugh...graduate school....now we're all grown up. I'm gonna call BS on this one. Graduate school is exactly like undergrad except we can all legally drink. :p

If you are supporting your self through school, than that should be your choice, and your parents should understand if you want to do it by your self, I wasnt trying to be mean earlier Im just sick of all the kids that breeze through college without working for anything themselfs and on top of that expect it like its there god given right.

If you are supporting your self through school, than that should be your choice, and your parents should understand if you want to do it by your self, I wasnt trying to be mean earlier Im just sick of all the kids that breeze through college without working for anything themselfs and on top of that expect it like its there god given right.

Is somebody bitter?????

wait... I've been looking for those schools that dont make you do your own work!!! oh wait - turns out someone's just got a stick up their rear-end. Feel free to ignore the rantings of forum members - while good natured - everyone likes to vent. I'm pretty sure if you are accepted to Pharm school - you've done something related to hard work... geesh...

~above~

Unless you are paying for all your college, then it is their damn business. :rolleyes: Besides, even if you were paying for your own college, would it kill you to spend an extra day with the people who busted their asses of for 18 years to raise you?
yes

I'll bring my parents and sibling to the White Coat Ceremony and graduation, but that's it. Orientation is a whole other story. No thanks, my parents can stay far, far away from that.