Did you have a horrible pre-med advisor? Post a stupid thing they said

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our advisors are decent, but they were strangely clueless about what classes count toward sGPA. During a presentation, they told a whole classroom full of premeds that classes only count as "science" if their course numbers start with bio, chem, phys, or math. Some kid was like "what about classes like biochem, microbiology, and stats," and the advisors were like "nope, the course name has to be bio, chem, phys, or math to count toward sGPA."

Looking around the room, you could see panic on the faces of a few kids who were trying to mentally recalculate their sGPAs minus a few As in stats courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Spoke to my advisor twice in four years. Both meetings were for my LORs.

Thankfully SDN was my advisor. I learned to sift through the bull**** very early.

Reactions: 2 users
I was told I wouldn't get in anywhere and that I should consider taking a couple gap years to strengthen my application. Boy, am I glad I didn't listen to that advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Spoke to my advisor twice in four years. Both meetings were for my LORs.

Thankfully SDN was my advisor. I learned to sift through the bull**** very early.

I heard SDN mentioned in an almost pejorative way a couple times on the interview trail, but in all reality it's been a great resource for me. You really do just have to learn how to identify the good advice out of the bad and compile a foundational knowledge about the application process based on the good advice you're able to find.

Reactions: 4 users
I heard SDN mentioned in an almost pejorative way a couple times on the interview trail, but in all reality it's been a great resource for me.

You know those people totally browse SDN regularly. I hate when people pretend not to know what SDN is or downplay its effectiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
You know those people totally browse SDN regularly. I hate when people pretend not to know what SDN is or downplay its effectiveness.

Agreed. A lot of people pretend to be the aloof ones that occasionally "browse" and mostly laugh at bad advice all day. And yet.. people continue to come here, and continue to get into medical school by taking advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my personal statement to my pre-med advisor for her review (talked about having my son at 16 and pursuing medicine to help the underserved) - She told me not to mention my son because the Adcoms would "look down upon me" and would not consider inviting me to interview at their schools.....

I wrote about it anyway ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I was told that I should mention specific schools in my personal statement.

Hahaha, that is some excellent advice. It's almost as if some of these advisors are trying to minimize their student's chances of gaining an acceptance.

Reactions: 6 users
Hahaha, that is some excellent advice. It's almost as if some of these advisors are trying to minimize their student's chances of gaining an acceptance.

I seriously wondered how they didn't realize that the personal statement goes to every school you apply to. How would you feel as an employer if you got a resume from an applicant that mentioned how much they liked a competing company?

Advisor: "So what patient contact/clinical volunteer experience do you have?
Me: "I do free health screenings once a week in underserved areas. Blood pressure, BMI, blood sugar, eye screenings, etc." (also talked about hospital volunteering, though less patient contact there)
Advisor: "I'm a little worried. I don't see any patient contact in any of your ECs"
lol wut

Another from the previous pre-health advisor at our school.

At the opening pre-health meeting of the year she blatantly says:
"Anyone here who doesn't have a 3.7+ or who is looking in to RN/PA/DPT/DMD should just leave. I only want to talk to serious pre-health students."

My jaw literally dropped

Members don't see this ad :)
"why would you ever serve in the military? doctors are supposed to help people not shoot them!"

Pretty much just gave up after that one.

Reactions: 9 users
I actually had a pretty decent premed advisor. Didn't go to them that often but the ~3 times I spoke with them throughout my college career, the only bad piece of advice they gave me was to not go on sdn.

Whoopsies

Reactions: 7 users
This skill is important to have.

I heard SDN mentioned in an almost pejorative way a couple times on the interview trail, but in all reality it's been a great resource for me. You really do just have to learn how to identify the good advice out of the bad and compile a foundational knowledge about the application process based on the good advice you're able to find.

More from the old premed advisors at my school (#blessed that I didn't get stuck with them):

1. Told people to not apply to OOS publics at all.
2. Told us not to go on SDN.

I am a skeptic and maybe have a rebellious streak, so I eventually said, "screw it," made an account, and have been incredibly grateful ever since.

Also they apparently only did drop in appointments, so people would literally wait for hours and miss classes just to meet with them. I've never been so happy to have to make appointments.

More from the old premed advisors at my school (#blessed that I didn't get stuck with them):

1. Told people to not apply to OOS publics at all.
2. Told us not to go on SDN.

I am a skeptic and maybe have a rebellious streak, so I eventually said, "screw it," made an account, and have been incredibly grateful ever since.

Also they apparently only did drop in appointments, so people would literally wait for hours and miss classes just to meet with them. I've never been so happy to have to make appointments.

I took my personal statement to my pre-med advisor for her review (talked about having my son at 16 and pursuing medicine to help the underserved) - She told me not to mention my son because the Adcoms would "look down upon me" and would not consider inviting me to interview at their schools.....

I wrote about it anyway ;)

You're really brave. It's difficult writing about things that might have a "stigma" associated with them, especially after that advice. I don't know you but I am so fiercely proud of you right now!

Our school advertises 90 percent medical school admission rate.
Not even counting atrition rates for premed classes (Biology went from a class of 36 to 16), they only count the people "approved" by the pre med advisor in these bull**** statistics. People have gotten into schools while being denied this approval. It's shady as ****.

Our school advertises 90 percent medical school admission rate.
Not even counting atrition rates for premed classes (Biology went from a class of 36 to 16), they only count the people "approved" by the pre med advisor in these bull**** statistics. People have gotten into schools while being denied this approval. It's shady as ****.

That's actually really messed up. I know a girl who went to Princeton, got a 3.5 GPA and the pre med advisors actively tried to stop her from applying. She's at a great DO school right now. At my school, the pre med advisors are pretty jaded, having to deal with so many neurotic premeds on a daily basis. I hear they really only support you if you are a great candidate, and try to take credit for it as well. I know a lot of people joke about SDN, but I can't imagine where else to learn about any of this. It seems like the vast majority of my premed peers have no clue of the med school admissions process. But I agree that attrition rates underscore how hard this process is. Entering my undergrad there are 2,000 students per year, out of which nearly a quarter start off as premeds. Only 200 end up applying per year (including alumni), and even then, admissions success is below the national average.

Another one: my buddy has a 3.94 cumulative and 3.97 science gpa, and got a 35 MCAT with all the volunteering/clinical boxes checked. He applied to like 30 schools and got 1 II and no acceptances last year. The (biggest) reason: his premed advisor told him that applications are due at most schools in January and open on October 15th, so he should make sure to get his applications in around Thanksgiving/early December. He sent in all his stuff mid-November thinking he was applying super early.

Reactions: 3 users
You're really brave. It's difficult writing about things that might have a "stigma" associated with them, especially after that advice. I don't know you but I am so fiercely proud of you right now!
Thank you!!! That experience helped make me who I am and it's part of my motivation to do medicine! If I have to write something artificial to get into medical school then I probably shouldn't be there.... :rolleyes:

Another one: my buddy has a 3.94 cumulative and 3.97 science gpa, and got a 35 MCAT with all the volunteering/clinical boxes checked. He applied to like 30 schools and got 1 II and no acceptances last year. The (biggest) reason: his premed advisor told him that applications are due at most schools in January and open on October 15th, so he should make sure to get his applications in around Thanksgiving/early December. He sent in all his stuff mid-November thinking he was applying super early.

While I think that some of that is on the student for not doing his homework, that's despicable. How do they get away with not knowing basic stuff that can really **** someone over like that?

While I think that some of that is on the student for not doing his homework, that's despicable. How do they get away with not knowing basic stuff that can really **** someone over like that?
It is ultimately his fault for not fact checking something as important as med school admissions. But still, how someone can still have the job of "premed advisor" when they don't know anything about the process is beyond me.

"pick a non science major to distinguish yourself from the applicant pool. Admissions committees like unique majors."
:wtf:

"pick a non science major to distinguish yourself from the applicant pool. Admissions committees like unique majors."
:wtf:
What's wrong with that? I think it's a great idea. How many applicants do med schools get who majored in something interesting and relevant like Spanish?

Reactions: 10 users
Never had a premed advisor but when my best friend was an undergrad his "advisor" told him he had a "better chance of being struck by lightening then getting into medical school" after a cheating incident in Orgo 2 that forced him to have to repeat the course. He's an M3 now.

Never had a premed advisor but when my best friend was an undergrad his "advisor" told him he had a "better chance of being struck by lightening then getting into medical school" after a cheating incident in Orgo 2 that forced him to have to repeat the course. He's an M3 now.
That's kind of the advice he would get on SDN too though, to be fair

Reactions: 8 users
What's wrong with that? I think it's a great idea. How many applicants do med schools get who majored in something interesting and relevant like Spanish?
Maybe I am just all around misinformed.. but years after hearing that I've recently learned that your major doesn't matter. I've shared this because she made it a point to do something non science because it's "unique" and "will give you and advantage" = bad advice I think lol

It's not a bad idea, but people shouldn't do it simply thinking it's an advantage as that would likely negate any advantage it gives you. People in non-science majors, in my mind, do well in med school admissions when they are passionate about that subject and can talk about it articulately in their interviews. The major itself being non-science isn't seen as a plus by itself if all else is the same between a science major app and a non-science, it can just be a great talking point in the application and interviews if used well.

To follow up my wise colleague's comment, music majors in particular get on my Adcom's radar.

Thus, every three weeks, when our Adcom emeds to discuss candidates, "that music major from Iowa State" is remembered. Other candidates tend to be "that guy on the far left".

I would express it a little differently: An atypical premed major can standout a bit easier than a typical premed major at adcom committee meetings. When you have 15 or 20 Bio majors, each with 3.7 or 3.8, each from ivy or similar, having a anthropology major in the the discussion is easier to see thru all the clutter

In one of my interviews, one of the interviewees played trumpet, and so did the Admissions Dean. She was thrilled. As far as pre med goes, I never had any kind of pre med advisor or committee.

I would express it a little differently: An atypical premed major can standout a bit easier than a typical premed major at adcom committee meetings. When you have 15 or 20 Bio majors, each with 3.7 or 3.8, each from ivy or similar, having a anthropology major in the the discussion is easier to see thru all the clutter
To follow up my wise colleague's comment, music majors in particular get on my Adcom's radar.

Thus, every three weeks, when our Adcom emeds to discuss candidates, "that music major from Iowa State" is remembered. Other candidates tend to be "that guy on the far left".

Thank you both for the insight!

That's actually really messed up. I know a girl who went to Princeton, got a 3.5 GPA and the pre med advisors actively tried to stop her from applying. She's at a great DO school right now. At my school, the pre med advisors are pretty jaded, having to deal with so many neurotic premeds on a daily basis. I hear they really only support you if you are a great candidate, and try to take credit for it as well. I know a lot of people joke about SDN, but I can't imagine where else to learn about any of this. It seems like the vast majority of my premed peers have no clue of the med school admissions process. But I agree that attrition rates underscore how hard this process is. Entering my undergrad there are 2,000 students per year, out of which nearly a quarter start off as premeds. Only 200 end up applying per year (including alumni), and even then, admissions success is below the national average.
It honestly reminded me of ****ty statistics Carrib schools use.

"Hehe yeah 80 percent of our students get into residencies except most of them are in family medicine, and thats after we kick out 50 percent of them :)))))"

I saw the signature under your username and laughed very loudly in my car. That was too funny not to mention! I'll be checking in periodically to see if you're keeping up with the countdown lol.

My school doesn't have premed advisors. I did have one advisor who for some reason was convinced I already took the MCAT before my sophomore year. It was really awkward when this person would tell people about my "fantastic MCAT score" when I hadn't even had half of the prerequisites. I had a decent ACT score and somehow this confused them.

In one of my interviews, one of the interviewees played trumpet, and so did the Admissions Dean. She was thrilled. As far as pre med goes, I never had any kind of pre med advisor or committee.
Well yeah, it's the best instrument.

Nice avi!

It's not a bad idea, but people shouldn't do it simply thinking it's an advantage as that would likely negate any advantage it gives you. People in non-science majors, in my mind, do well in med school admissions when they are passionate about that subject and can talk about it articulately in their interviews. The major itself being non-science isn't seen as a plus by itself if all else is the same between a science major app and a non-science, it can just be a great talking point in the application and interviews if used well.
I actually think there are 3 main benefits to having a non-science major that are a lot more important than it being a good talking point during interviews (which I actually haven't felt is the case, personally)

1) Students who major in certain non-science fields (e.g. humanities) do better than science majors on the MCAT on average, presumably because those majors help students develop their reading comprehension skills at a very high level.

2) It's typically easier to get a good GPA in non-science majors than science majors.

(Those two reasons alone should be sufficient to suggest majoring in a non-science, as GPA and MCAT make up the foundation of every application)

3) With the extra free time you have due to an easier courseload in a non-science major (and I can confirm from experience that there is a ton more free time), you can strengthen every other part of your app by devoting more time to ECs than the average applicant.

So you're right that non-science majors don't necessarily have advantages over science majors because of their majors alone (except for truly unique ones), but the indirect benefits are enormous.

The only real argument I could see in favor of majoring in a science is that you might have a better backup plan if medicine doesn't work out, but as I've always said, backup plans are for the weak ;)

I actually think there are 3 main benefits to having a non-science major that are a lot more important than it being a good talking point during interviews (which I actually haven't felt is the case, personally)

1) Students who major in certain non-science fields (e.g. humanities) do better than science majors on the MCAT on average, presumably because those majors help students develop their reading comprehension skills at a very high level.

2) It's typically easier to get a good GPA in non-science majors than science majors.

(Those two reasons alone should be sufficient to suggest majoring in a non-science, as GPA and MCAT make up the foundation of every application)

3) With the extra free time you have due to an easier courseload in a non-science major (and I can confirm from experience that there is a ton more free time), you can strengthen every other part of your app by devoting more time to ECs than the average applicant.

So you're right that non-science majors don't necessarily have advantages over science majors because of their majors alone (except for truly unique ones), but the indirect benefits are enormous.

The only real argument I could see in favor of majoring in a science is that you might have a better backup plan if medicine doesn't work out, but as I've always said, backup plans are for the weak ;)

Yeah, those make sense as far as having indirect benefits. I guess my point is just that adcoms might not necessarily say "he majored in history, therefore better!" like some advisors say.

I think the concept becomes a lot more complicated once you introduce the actual strategic aspects of it, so I usually just say it's best to major in what really interests you. Having majored in physiology, which comes with an almost hobby-level of enjoyment for me, I experienced some of the benefits you mentioned here, so I suppose much of this will be an individual decision.

Last edited:
"If you apply late August early September you'll be right on time"

"You'll definitely get in"