Didn't fill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TubeJockeyStile

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of the programs that didn't fill?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to see this info as well. Considering there were 97 unfilled spots (70 categorical, 27 advanced), there's bound to be some solid programs represented.

I'd love to see this info as well. Considering there were 97 unfilled spots (70 categorical, 27 advanced), there's bound to be some solid programs represented.
How do you even know this number?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you even know this number?

Under 'my reports' you can see match stats by region.

I wonder how much is loss of interest in anesthesia vs. programs not ranking to fill by design. The latter doesn't seem very likely though.

Reactions: 2 users
Under 'my reports' you can see match stats by region.

I wonder how much is loss of interest in anesthesia vs. programs not ranking to fill by design. The latter doesn't seem very likely though.
Gracias.

There are always a good amount of unmatched spots around, but I am surprised to see that many categorical spots around. We filled at our shop, and actually had a very competitive year with a 15-20% increase in overall applications and the stats of interviewees were higher as well, I guess I interpreted this as interest was way up. Maybe not the case around the country?

I wonder if some programs would rather take people who fall out of subspecialty matches?

Also I'm seeing a lot of this AOA/ACGME merger around the forums and have no clue what that means whatsoever, has that impacted the match at all (mostly by adding a whole lot more residency slots via main match?). Mostly just free styling thoughts here.

Reactions: 1 user
There are always a good amount of unmatched spots around, but I am surprised to see that many categorical spots around. We filled at our shop, and actually had a very competitive year with a 15-20% increase in overall applications and the stats of interviewees were higher as well, I guess I interpreted this as interest was way up. Maybe not the case around the country?

I wonder if some programs would rather take people who fall out of subspecialty matches?

Also I'm seeing a lot of this AOA/ACGME merger around the forums and have no clue what that means whatsoever, has that impacted the match at all (mostly by adding a whole lot more residency slots via main match?). Mostly just free styling thoughts here.
There were a total of like 30 something AOA Anesthesia spots so I don't think that has contributed in any significant way.

Unfilled spots info is only available to those in SOAP at the moment. As noted above, it would seem that # of unfilled spots increased from last year (85 to 97). Although I believe the total # of spots offered also increased marginally. Be interesting to see the real numbers in the coming week!

Long term....this just isnt the field and Im not only talking about nurse encroachment. I think when you add up many factors to the way this fields is going to "progress" (regress?) the unfilled spots will slowly increase. now very much so those spots will likely get filled by people who thought they wanted to do something else and realize they hated it

Long term....this just isnt the field and Im not only talking about nurse encroachment. I think when you add up many factors to the way this fields is going to "progress" (regress?) the unfilled spots will slowly increase. now very much so those spots will likely get filled by people who thought they wanted to do something else and realize they hated it
Probably not. As any specialty becomes less competitive, the number of apps from IMG's soars and many programs are happy to take them. In addition, the number of med school grads keeps increasing while the number of GME spots stays the same (or with very modest increases).

NY- SUNY Downstate (from a friend in the SOAP)

Really liked the PD and most of the residents when I visited. Having said that, not surprised.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did all unfilled programs from last year eventually fill completely via SOAP?

Any talks by the leadership to cut down on spots to improve the job market/demand?

Did all unfilled programs from last year eventually fill completely via SOAP?

Any talks by the leadership to cut down on spots to improve the job market/demand?

LOL! You said leadership....as if that exists in our field.

There are plenty of anesthesia jobs. Most anesthesia job are just terrible. A med student now is looking at a career making 300-350k (or less) with 4-6 weeks vacation and 50+ hour work weeks with more and more places requiring in-house call. That's why anesthesia is not filling. There are better lifestyle and/or money options out there.

Reactions: 5 users
There are plenty of anesthesia jobs. Most anesthesia job are just terrible. A med student now is looking at a career making 300-350k (or less) with 4-6 weeks vacation and 50+ hour work weeks with more and more places requiring in-house call. That's why anesthesia is not filling. There are better lifestyle and/or money options out there.

still waiting to hear what they are. (no sarcasm)

You're killin me. That's just starting out though right? And there's still good jobs in the sticks. From what I heard, the gas market can turn sour locally on a moment's notice. It's not what you'd call a stable field, which isn't all bad if you don't have deep roots and can just pack up and head for greener pastures. But if you have kids in school and a spouse working locally you just take it on the chin.

Last year, there were 1127 categorical and 481 advanced, which is 1608 positions offered in 2016.
This year, there were 1302 categorical and 441 advanced, which is 1743 positions offered in 2017. That is an increase of 135 spots in a year, which probably explains all those unfilled spots.

On a side note, for the sake of the specialty, I also think that we shouldn't expand the # of spots so rapidly, if ever. This year alone was 8.4% increase...

Reactions: 2 users
Last year, there were 1127 categorical and 481 advanced, which is 1608 positions offered in 2016.
This year, there were 1302 categorical and 441 advanced, which is 1743 positions offered in 2017. That is an increase of 135 spots in a year, which probably explains all those unfilled spots.

On a side note, for the sake of the specialty, I also think that we shouldn't expand the # of spots so rapidly, if ever. This year alone was 8.4% increase...

Nice detective work. I heard there are several new programs (at least in the southeast), but 135 more spots does seem like a lot (even if ~ 40 may have been converted from advanced spots).

There is a reason the good specialties limit their numbers: cough cough ENT etc

There is a reason the good specialties limit their numbers: cough cough ENT etc

I was under the impression that acgme (in turn, government funding) determines the number of residency spots for each specialty. This coupled with our constant battle of the notion that "there aren't enough anesthesiologists so we have to expand roles of our nursing counterparts" probably has something to do with increasing the number of residency spots.

BS there is an abundance of anesthesiologists don't kid yourself. You have much to learn young grasshopper :0

Reactions: 1 users
Nice detective work. I heard there are several new programs (at least in the southeast), but 135 more spots does seem like a lot (even if ~ 40 may have been converted from advanced spots).
That's on top of the 30% increase over the previous 5 years, if I remember well. Keep going like this, ACGME, and we'll call them anesthesiologist mills.

Urology, ENT, Derm, etc. are all nice until you realize these specialties all involve spending time in CLINIC. I would rather be an AMC cog for 250K (if it comes down to that) and use my income to invest in real estate, tech, etc. Medicine alone won't make you wealthy anymore, especially as it becomes more and more socialized.

Urology, ENT, Derm, etc. are all nice until you realize these specialties all involve spending time in CLINIC. I would rather be an AMC cog for 250K (if it comes down to that) and use my income to invest in real estate, tech, etc. Medicine alone won't make you wealthy anymore, especially as it becomes more and more socialized.

Ever heard of IMRT? Any idea how much passive income urologists were generating from that? And these guys generate more income doing minor office procedures than doing big cases in the OR. There are many more low hanging opportunities to be entrepreneurial in those specialties. And a lot of cash procedures too.

Last edited:
Ever heard of IMRT? Any idea how much passive income urologists were generating from that? And these guys generate more income doing minor office procedures than doing big cases in the OR. There are many more low hanging opportunities to be entrepreneurial in those specialties. And a lot of cash procedures too.

Wouldn't that be the RadOnc boys??

Those dudes make a killing if they own their facilities.

It's been heavily scrutinized, only a matter of time until that's slashed.

Wouldn't that be the RadOnc boys??

Those dudes make a killing if they own their facilities.

My cousin is part of a consortium of urologists. They own the centers, control the referrals and employ the rad onc docs. The income from that side gig exceeds the income from the rest of his practice.

Low hanging... Good one. I get it :D

Reactions: 6 users

My bet is a lot of that increase was from the 30ish AOA programs entering the match- It's not a true increase in positions, but a shifting of programs into the NRMP match.

My cousin is part of a consortium of urologists. They own the centers, control the referrals and employ the rad onc docs. The income from that side gig exceeds the income from the rest of his practice.

The point is they need to start limiting anesthesia spots not adding them :/

The point is they need to start limiting anesthesia spots not adding them :/
Agreed. The bottleneck imposed by the relatively fixed number of residencies over the years is the reason why medicine is the only remaining high powered profession not suffering from oversaturation. Pharmacy, dentistry, law, veterinarians, optometrists, etc. all have piss poor job prospects at this point. That, along with high debt from school make these professions a sucker's bet at this point.

Adding more residency spots to address some flimsy pretense of a physician shortage only hurts the profession. The issue of the physician shortage has been thoroughly addressed on these forums so there's no point beating that old horse. There's plenty of doctors, it turns out just nobody wants to work in the sticks or in a specialty that pays poorly.

So anyone got the unfilled position list now that match day is done and it's legal to share it?

Agreed. The bottleneck imposed by the relatively fixed number of residencies over the years is the reason why medicine is the only remaining high powered profession not suffering from oversaturation. Pharmacy, dentistry, law, veterinarians, optometrists, etc. all have piss poor job prospects at this point. That, along with high debt from school make these professions a sucker's bet at this point.

Adding more residency spots to address some flimsy pretense of a physician shortage only hurts the profession. The issue of the physician shortage has been thoroughly addressed on these forums so there's no point beating that old horse. There's plenty of doctors, it turns out just nobody wants to work in the sticks or in a specialty that pays poorly.

You clearly are underestimating the amount of programs that use residents as a work force and who just so happen to also to be in the position to increase/decrease positions