Didn't send in secondaries...am I considered a reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mkitties

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I sent in the primary AAMCAS app last june before I took the Aug MCAT. When I got my score back I didn't do too well so I didn't send out any secondaries. I am still getting letters from school saying that they are closing my file because my app wasn't complete. Now I'm going to apply again this June and I remember the apps asking if we've applied before. Since my app was never really complete am I still going to be considered a reapplicant? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Once you send AMCAS, you have applied to the school regardless of whether you completed the secondary or not. So you are reapplicant.

Yes you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they got anything from you - especially $$ - you are now a reapplicant.

Just curious, but if one were to not turn in their secondaries on one application cycle, then does this look bad to the admission board when you reapply the following year? Would they even be aware of this fact? Also has anyone been asked why they didn't complete their secondaries during an interview the following year? Thanks.

Mkitties said:
Hi everyone,
I sent in the primary AAMCAS app last june before I took the Aug MCAT. When I got my score back I didn't do too well so I didn't send out any secondaries. I am still getting letters from school saying that they are closing my file because my app wasn't complete. Now I'm going to apply again this June and I remember the apps asking if we've applied before. Since my app was never really complete am I still going to be considered a reapplicant? Thanks in advance.
i would say you are not a reapplicant. although being a reapplicant can certainly be a good thing too :)

in my eyes, a "reapplicant" is someone who applies after being rejected at an institution. if you chose to end the application cycle by not sending in applications, then you were never rejected. they closed your file due to it not being complete...not because you did not make it.

in the past i think i might have filled out extra schools on the amcas/aacomas. and then apply the following year as a "first" time applicant. its not like they are going to reject you if they find out you previously applied through amcas and then currently didn't state you were a reapplicant on the following year's secondary. that would be silly. they're not that hardcore...especially when it could be an oversight when filling it out.

like i said, reapplying can be favorable. you might want to claim you are a reapplicant even if you were not rejected before but because you filled out the amcas with that particular schools info. you might want to find out if schools look very favorably on reapplicants or maybe some not as much and fill out the apps accordingly. for instance i knew one of my schools took a certain high percentage of reapps...so i made it known i was reapp!

like i said...these schools have thousands of apps to look through. they are not going to be like, "wait a minute, johnny's application here says he is a first time applicant and last year he filled out his amcas...REJECT! :smuggrin: " (or vice versa)

mx_599 said:
i would say you are not a reapplicant. although being a reapplicant can certainly be a good thing too :)

in my eyes, a "reapplicant" is someone who applies after being rejected at an institution. if you chose to end the application cycle by not sending in applications, then you were never rejected. they closed your file due to it not being complete...not because you did not make it.

in the past i think i might have filled out extra schools on the amcas/aacomas. and then apply the following year as a "first" time applicant. its not like they are going to reject you if they find out you previously applied through amcas and then currently didn't state you were a reapplicant on the following year's secondary. that would be silly. they're not that hardcore...especially when it could be an oversight when filling it out.

like i said, reapplying can be favorable. you might want to claim you are a reapplicant even if you were not rejected before but because you filled out the amcas with that particular schools info. you might want to find out if schools look very favorably on reapplicants or maybe some not as much and fill out the apps accordingly. for instance i knew one of my schools took a certain high percentage of reapps...so i made it known i was reapp!

like i said...these schools have thousands of apps to look through. they are not going to be like, "wait a minute, johnny's application here says he is a first time applicant and last year he filled out his amcas...REJECT! :smuggrin: " (or vice versa)

Thanks for your input. That's interesting. It never crossed my mind that some schools would look favorably towards reapplicants (not that I'm saying its a negative thing either). Only problem is that I applied to I think 33 schools so I'm not sure if I should call each and every one. I'll probably just call a few of my top choices and see what they say. I doubt they're gonna reject me solely based on the fact that I didn't mark that I'm a reapplicant. All they have to look at is my lovely MCAT score... :wow: REJECT!!

You started the process, you applied. While you did not complete the process, that doesn't mean you can erase the application. Many schools do keep your file from year to year AND compare them.

Closing your file for lack of completion is a rejection. Period. You can still explain the situation in the PS if you deem it appropriate.

I didn't complete at one school, but still got the eventual rejection letter.

Here's a similar question for this thread:

Suppose you start to fill out AMCAS in early June. You wait for your MCAT scores to come in mid-June, and decide to apply next year instead. As such, you do not submit your AMCAS application.

Would you be a re-applicant the next year?

crazy_cavalier said:

Suppose you start to fill out AMCAS in early June. You wait for your MCAT scores to come in mid-June, and decide to apply next year instead. As such, you do not submit your AMCAS application.

that i can answer with confidence. you are definitely not a reapplicant :)

crazy_cavalier said:

I'll second that NO.

This is the way to do it if your contemplating application, particularly if you're waiting on MCAT results. Doesn't cost a dime either (from AMCAS).