Different options for accepted pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMH

Hospitalist/Nocturnist Hologram
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time since I've been on the SDN. Glad to see there's still some familiar people on this forum.

I have a PA that I work with who has been accepted to a Caribbean med school. He is interested in serving and wants to know what his options are. He is more interested in reserves or NG but doesn't really have a preference of branch. I believe he would consider active duty. I think living in the Caribbean would make NG very difficult unless he found a state willing to work with him.

There used to be sticky threads on here that would summarize all the different options of coming into military medicine but I can't seem to find anything like that now. It looks like a lot of things have changed since I used to keep up with it as well. Does anyone have a resource, either on SDN or otherwise, that would show all the different programs to compare the options?

Members don't see this ad.

Long time since I've been on the SDN. Glad to see there's still some familiar people on this forum.

I have a PA that I work with who has been accepted to a Caribbean med school. He is interested in serving and wants to know what his options are. He is more interested in reserves or NG but doesn't really have a preference of branch. I believe he would consider active duty. I think living in the Caribbean would make NG very difficult unless he found a state willing to work with him.

There used to be sticky threads on here that would summarize all the different options of coming into military medicine but I can't seem to find anything like that now. It looks like a lot of things have changed since I used to keep up with it as well. Does anyone have a resource, either on SDN or otherwise, that would show all the different programs to compare the options?
Pretty sure Caribbean grads aren't eligible to come in until they have finished residency and are BE/BS. HPSP is not an option. Not sure about the NG option but if I had to guess I would also say not likely.

There is no way I would go from employed PA with lots of career flexibility to the debt and not so greatness of a Carribiean medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd STRONGLY recommend your friend consider DO schools first. Medical school seats domestically keep rising, especially on the DO side. But residency seats have not been increasing proportionally. We're already seeing the pinch and the pinch is being seen by non-USMDs trying to find residency slots. Bad juju.

There is no way I would go from employed PA with lots of career flexibility to the debt and not so greatness of a Carribiean medical school.

I know. Tried to talk him out of it but he's sold.

I'd STRONGLY recommend your friend consider DO schools first. Medical school seats domestically keep rising, especially on the DO side. But residency seats have not been increasing proportionally. We're already seeing the pinch and the pinch is being seen by non-USMDs trying to find residency slots. Bad juju.
I will share that concern with him.

I know. Tried to talk him out of it but he's sold.

Your friend will likely fail...and it’s the exact reason why the military won’t invest in him.

Reactions: 1 user
Has he attempted and failed to obtain admission at a US MD or DO school?

Oddly enough he didn't apply. Only applied to one Caribbean school, got accepted.

Thanks for the help here.