Difficult to find a job in Southern California..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Palos verdes right by the cliff would be amazing....especially if those mpa's didnt get implemented. Prime diving right there and relatively semi free of people cause nobody wants to climb a big ass cliff trail just to go fish.

That’s why God invented skiffs.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a high school classmate who's family lived in Palos Verdes right by the ocean... the dad was an anesthesiologist and the mom stayed at home. It seemed rather fancy... "rich doctor" and such. I suspect their house is now worth on the order of 3-4 million and I wonder who on earth can afford that.

Those were the good ol' days...

These days us doctors live comfortably enough - but that level of quasi-luxury (house by the water in socal) is nearly unattainable when compared to 20 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. Everything keeps gettin’ more expensive but we make same. (Or less).

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a ER doc buddy who has a nice (albeit smallish) house that’s a 5-10 minute walk to the ocean in Manhattan beach. Area is safe, beautiful, and weather perfect.

Yes there are trade offs. He would make more money with less taxes and have a bigger house almost anywhere else. But he’s happy, and to act like trading some money and material goods for weather and quality of life is insane just shows how many people are missing the point.

You're not wrong.

The trouble with California, is that it's full of Californians!

2014-09-10-92dafde2.gif

And they're all on the freeway, all the time. I don't understand how they have time to enjoy the weather, with all that time they spend enjoying the license plate of the car in front of them.

It's not insane, there are just better choices. :) Depends on what you love. Flyover states have enough to keep me occupied.

parksmap.gif

It's been a while since I've been to Volcano National Park. I hear Pele has expanded it since my last visit.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. Everything keeps gettin’ more expensive but we make same. (Or less).

fortunately or unfortunately,depending on how you look at it, it is due to the increasing division of wealth in this country. we are still in the top 5-10% of incomes in the country and make nearly as much as a lower level professional athlete.

I had a high school classmate who's family lived in Palos Verdes right by the ocean... the dad was an anesthesiologist and the mom stayed at home. It seemed rather fancy... "rich doctor" and such. I suspect their house is now worth on the order of 3-4 million and I wonder who on earth can afford that.

These days us doctors live comfortably enough - but that level of quasi-luxury (house by the water in socal) is nearly unattainable when compared to 20 years ago.

Doesn’t matter what it’s worth. It matters when they purchase the house. If they got the home before the run up in housing prices than it probably cost them 1 million-1.5 million. Which is “affordable” for someone making 500k. Well in line which what many anesthesiologist make in private practice. That’s what my brother makes in proper so cal downtown LA.

My brother has a close to 2 million dollar home. Purchased for 1.75 million near seal beach. He’s anesthesiologist. His mortgage is less than 500k cause he put a lot of money down.

Doesn’t matter what it’s worth. It matters when they purchase the house. If they got the home before the run up in housing prices than it probably cost them 1 million-1.5 million. Which is “affordable” for someone making 500k. Well in line which what many anesthesiologist make in private practice. That’s what my brother makes in proper so cal downtown LA.

My brother has a close to 2 million dollar home. Purchased for 1.75 million near seal beach. He’s anesthesiologist. His mortgage is less than 500k cause he put a lot of money down.

Insane! Can't imagine buying a 2m house w only 500k salary in California. That 500k is less than 300k after tax...

Insane! Can't imagine buying a 2m house w only 500k salary in California. That 500k is less than 300k after tax...

Eh, I wouldn’t want to, but a mortgage of 10k with a take home of 25k still leaves you with plenty of F around money.

His mortgage is only like $2500-3000 a month. He put a lot of money down.

U are talking about 2.75% interest rate also.

I do think it’s crazy to have 10-15k a month mortgage. That will get u in trouble very quickly even if u are making 40-50k a month.

Already remember no one fresh out buys a 2 million dollar house. He made 400k on his first house. Made another 200k on second home. Got a little lucky and rented from 2006-2011. So sold out at peak. Brought current home in 2011. So he’s been in practice 15 plus years.

And use a big down payment.

No one buyers a starter home for 2 million. That’s more a 2nd or 3rd home for most physicians.

So he got lucky with housing. But he also lost a ton during dot com bubble. (Like 500k in losses). That’s just how life is. Take the good with the bad.

A lot of people here still being a bit in a bubble. If you want to live in a 2M dollar house in California, that’s 140k a year (20k property tax min). You still have ~160k left. Is that enough? Well, that’s up to you. You won’t be financially independent at 40. You won’t be driving Ferrari’s. You won’t own 100 acres. But for some a model 3, some sunshine and a beach are enough. For others, after so much sacrifice, to not be “rich” at the end of it is frustrating. But it’s not like any anesthesiologist in California is destitute.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice.....a California thread

1. What would bother me the most about a 2 million dollar home is the 20k per year property tax.

2. Speaking of taxes, they suck.

TBH those are the only negatives I can pin on California. When the East coast and Midwest has arctic freezes, Nor’easters, and 100% humidity heat waves, we’re enjoying nice weather. Sure we may get an atmospheric river here and there and depending on where you live wildfires, but for the most part we all pay to live here because of the weather.

California isn’t for everyone. New grads who live her may need to adopt a more “European lifestyle” (like the NYT article that said “the condo should be the new Americans Dream) or prepare to work their butt off. If you want a big home for an anesthesiologist salary then don’t have CA on you list (at least not “CA” CA....you can probably do that in Stockton or Fresno)

And to add to what Salty mentioned, it is the decision most of us who are rational have to deal with, that is, is the sunshine and activities worth a few more years of work? I say, if the job is good then yes. If your eyes are hard focused on retirement then I would argue you don’t like your job. I know people who work in Cali, make high salaries, and don’t spend the night in hospitals. That’s not the type of group that advertises on Gaswork or uses recruiters. When they need someone, which is rare, they know where to go

SoCal seems pretty cheap compared to the Bay lol. Bought my first home for 2mil. Gotta understand the market out here. There's no risk if you know where to buy. Do your research. Buy in the best school districts and most desirable areas. Even in the recent downturn of the housing market, homes in these areas do nothing but appreciate. Value never ever goes down. I know several anesthesiologists with homes worth over 5-10mil. They are not building new homes here but the tech industry here has created an unprecedented boom in jobs, wealth, and in the economy. Something's gotta give

SoCal seems pretty cheap compared to the Bay lol. Bought my first home for 2mil. Gotta understand the market out here. There's no risk if you know where to buy. Do your research. Buy in the best school districts and most desirable areas. Even in the recent downturn of the housing market, homes in these areas do nothing but appreciate. Value never ever goes down. I know several anesthesiologists with homes worth over 5-10mil. They are not building new homes here but the tech industry here has created an unprecedented boom in jobs, wealth, and in the economy. Something's gotta give
This is true. A house with a kitchen fire that nearly burned it down sold for well over 2 million. Unless ALL tech decides to move to Austin a home in this area is a sound investment

California isn’t for everyone. New grads who live her may need to adopt a more “European lifestyle” (like the NYT article that said “the condo should be the new Americans Dream) or prepare to work their butt off. If you want a big home for an anesthesiologist salary then don’t have CA on you list (at least not “CA” CA....you can probably do that in Stockton or Fresno)

Honestly it’s not that bad unless you’re in the Bay Area proper or LA city limits or SB. I’ve got a big new construction home with a view on 1/3 acre 11 minutes from the beach in a very desirable area and I didn’t pay even close to 2 mil.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly it’s not that bad unless you’re in the Bay Area proper or LA city limits or SB. I’ve got a big new construction home with a view on 1/3 acre 11 minutes from the beach in a very desirable area and I didn’t pay even close to 2 mil.
True. There’s even value around here. The problem is if your hospital is in an expensive area and you need to be within reach for being on-call it limits options.

True. There’s even value around here. The problem is if your hospital is in an expensive area and you need to be within reach for being on-call it limits options.

Just AirBnB when you’re on call and buy the house where you want.

Yes, but compared to Texas or Washington you’ll lose 45-50k a year in income taxes so if you’re going to be in California might as well be in the nicest parts (imo). 30 years of giving up 10% of your income is going to be about 4M dollars +. So 1M vs 2M is kind of whatever at that point.

Inland California might as well be Nevada at some point. It’s only on the coast you get the truly great weather (and with it the crazy cost of living).

Yes, but compared to Texas or Washington you’ll lose 45-50k a year in income taxes so if you’re going to be in California might as well be in the nicest parts (imo). 30 years of giving up 10% of your income is going to be about 4M dollars +. So 1M vs 2M is kind of whatever at that point.

Inland California might as well be Nevada at some point. It’s only on the coast you get the truly great weather (and with it the crazy cost of living).

I agree with this 110%. No point in living in BFE CA. Worst of both worlds. It’s either coastal SoCal or it’s outta state.

I’m not sure any of us is actually saying living in California makes financial sense, it’s just a choice, a bit like a Porsche vs a Toyota. The latter makes way more sense than the former but you shell out the money to enjoy the former because you can.

I agree with this 110%. No point in living in BFE CA. Worst of both worlds. It’s either coastal SoCal or it’s outta state.
I agree with this too. NorCal is overrated and the girls down south are much hotter. (Better beaches too)

Agree with above, if you're not coastal, might as well be in Nevada or Arizona.

This is my first year out of residency, I live 1 mile from the beach, renting a house in SB. After riding my bicycle home, I run through a nature preserve at the end of my street and in a few minutes, I have to choose if I want to continue along the top of 200-foot cliffs that look out over the Pacific or descend the steps to run along the beach. Typically I run into more rabbits and storks than people. The air here is clean and the traffic is minimal, although I don't really care either way about the traffic since I commute by bicycle. That's not my problem.

Honestly, I love it here and I could care less what anyone else thinks about it. If anything, I am grateful that the high taxes and other downsides scare so many people off. SoCal is crowded enough without more people. There are plenty of fantastic places to live and we all value different things, so to each their own.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not sure any of us is actually saying living in California makes financial sense, it’s just a choice, a bit like a Porsche vs a Toyota. The latter makes way more sense than the former but you shell out the money to enjoy the former because you can.

Sure, but living in rural non-coastal California strikes me as buying that Porsche but never going faster than 25 mph. You’re paying a lot to be in California by virtue of being a California resident for tax purposes, way more than you’re paying for your house. The income tax is the largest expense. If you aren’t on the coasts you aren’t getting the benefit people are willing to give up 10% of their income for.

Outside of family I can’t imagine why someone would want to practice in like, Ramona California vs about the same weather for either 1/3 the taxes (Arizona) or 0 taxes (Nevada).

Agree with above, if you're not coastal, might as well be in Nevada or Arizona.

This is my first year out of residency, I live 1 mile from the beach, renting a house in SB. After riding my bicycle home, I run through a nature preserve at the end of my street and in a few minutes, I have to choose if I want to continue along the top of 200-foot cliffs that look out over the Pacific or descend the steps to run along the beach. Typically I run into more rabbits and storks than people. The air here is clean and the traffic is minimal, although I don't really care either way about the traffic since I commute by bicycle. That's not my problem.

Honestly, I love it here and I could care less what anyone else thinks about it. If anything, I am grateful that the high taxes and other downsides scare so many people off. SoCal is crowded enough without more people. There are plenty of fantastic places to live and we all value different things, so to each their own.

Yep! Coastal California isn’t scrounging for anesthesiologists anyway. I’m considering California for one of the reasons I considered anesthesiology: lifestyle. It shouldn’t be a dirty word, and man that ocean breeze is heavenly. But the taxes are actually crazy. Hey, at least we got a high speed train from Merced to Bakersfield out of it!

Last edited:
Sure, but living in rural non-coastal California strikes me as buying that Porsche but never going faster than 25 mph. You’re paying a lot to be in California by virtue of being a California resident for tax purposes, way more than you’re paying for your house. The income tax is the largest expense. If you aren’t on the coasts you aren’t getting the benefit people are willing to give up 10% of their income for.

Outside of family I can’t imagine why someone would want to practice in like, Ramona California vs about the same weather for either 1/3 the taxes (Arizona) or 0 taxes (Nevada).
1000%. Anyone who wants to move to CA and Modesto or Fresno is at the top of the list, I’m sorry, for tax purposes live somewhere else.

(Better beaches too)

I just find it odd with the water being so cold. I'm used to the beaches in the southeast where the water is warm and you can actually get in.

The surrounding scenery is just so much prettier on the CA coast than 90% of the East Coast. And we don’t have 100% humidity with insects that will carry off your small children if you’re not careful.

I agree with this too. NorCal is overrated and the girls down south are much hotter. (Better beaches too)
Yes, the SF Bay Area is incredibly overrated. Spread the word dude, the traffic here is insane. Enjoy them beaches buddy cuz there are no nice beaches up here lol.

Yes, the SF Bay Area is incredibly overrated. Spread the word dude, the traffic here is insane. Enjoy them beaches buddy cuz there are no nice beaches up here lol.

Don’t listen to him. SF Bay Area is where it’s at! SoCal sucks.

Peeps talking about the cold water need to nut up...I used to spearfish/freedive without a wetsuit when I lived in Redondo. You get used to the cold water after a couple minutes and you can come back with dinner (granted I WOULD have a wetsuit in the winter time).

Peeps talking about the cold water need to nut up...I used to spearfish/freedive without a wetsuit when I lived in Redondo. You get used to the cold water after a couple minutes and you can come back with dinner (granted I WOULD have a wetsuit in the winter time).

That kills your breath hold though. Or maybe I’m just a puss.

nut up? Is that what happens when your balls hit that cold water? I've done some polar bear plunges in literal icy water so it isn't a question of manhood. I just find it odd to see a big beach on a sunny day that isn't filled with kids splashing and playing in the water.

Reactions: 1 users
nut up? Is that what happens when your balls hit that cold water? I've done some polar bear plunges in literal icy water so it isn't a question of manhood. I just find it odd to see a big beach on a sunny day that isn't filled with kids splashing and playing in the water.
I'm in the military...it's ALWAYS a question of manhood. ;)

I'm aware of WHY it happens, I just find it an odd scene with big beautiful beaches and nobody in the water.
I was so sure I would get this response, which is why I posted that image. :p

I love living in california but getting much harder to with the ridiculous taxes and the complete one sided political ideology running this whole state from top to bottom. Seeing what SF has turned in to is depressing. Not saying a completely red state is better but at least some balance in areas of the state would be nice.

I love living in california but getting much harder to with the ridiculous taxes and the complete one sided political ideology running this whole state from top to bottom. Seeing what SF has turned in to is depressing. Not saying a completely red state is better but at least some balance in areas of the state would be nice.
I buy this....

i'm honestly considering going from one extreme (location, weather, city size, PP) to another but don't know if I have it in me

I'm aware of WHY it happens, I just find it an odd scene with big beautiful beaches and nobody in the water.
i mean it is crazy. it just doesn't get hot enough. i took a surf lesson in SD in June a few years back with a wet suit and was still like "Damn this is cold". The fools up here in NoCal that surf, all I can say is that's love and dedication.

I thought you took a job in GA??

i mean it is crazy. it just doesn't get hot enough. i took a surf lesson in SD in June a few years back with a wet suit and was still like "Damn this is cold". The fools up here in NoCal that surf, all I can say is that's love and dedication.

Found this video of @Twiggidy explaing why he didn’t like his surfing lesson.

Reactions: 5 users

I wonder if this is the same friend I have. They live a great life and some days I continue to wonder where their money is actually from

1000%. Anyone who wants to move to CA and Modesto or Fresno is at the top of the list, I’m sorry, for tax purposes live somewhere else.

My friends mom had license plates that said "fresnoo" and "yfresno"

Funny how normally some of later generation Californians left and never looked back. I like where I am without the taxes.

San Francisco area is the worst. At the ASA meeting, it was sad to see what the city has become. I hope they never have the ASA meeting there again.

San Francisco area is the worst. At the ASA meeting, it was sad to see what the city has become. I hope they never have the ASA meeting there again.

might be my favorite location for ASA. Plenty of nice hotels within walking distance of Moscone center and lots of other stuff to do when not at the meeting (hello day trip to Napa or Sonoma).