Difficult to find a job in Southern California..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s a great area once you get out of the city and away from the human excrement on the sidewalks.

New Orleans was my favorite though — the food, the live music, and the characters (who kindly refrained from defecating in the street, as far as I could tell) made it the most memorable ASA conference I’ve been to.

Members don't see this ad.

San Francisco area is the worst. At the ASA meeting, it was sad to see what the city has become. I hope they never have the ASA meeting there again.
If they want a year with west coast locations it should be either Austin, Las Vegas, or San Diego (usable beaches and warmer)

I wonder how many people came to the ASA and were in utter shock with how dirty it is. This is a hot take but I sometimes feel like New York is cleaner

Members don't see this ad :)
Anywell....i think people catch my drift. There are cleaner, nicer, and frankly more affordable places the ASA could be held that would be just as if not more fun in the free time.

Stubbs >>> *fill in the blank SF venue/bar/etc*

And Stubbs is probably not even the best of Austin

Anywell....i think people catch my drift. There are cleaner, nicer, and frankly more affordable places the ASA could be held that would be just as if not more fun in the free time.

Agree and October is the best time of year in many parts of the country.

Lmao only on SDN would people spurn the most world-class cities on earth and the most sought after tourist attractions/venues for Stubbs in Austin lol. Dude goes to NYC, Paris, London, Rome, Florence, etc.. and complains about their "substandard" conditions lol. Have a blast and go wild at the Hyatt Regency Austin bro. If you go with a group, maybe you can snag a sweet 2 for 1 deal at the buffet. Actually, you're probably right. A place like Stubbs in Austin seems just about right for ASA's level. World class would just be wasted on that little outfit. Peasantry mindset.

Lmao only on SDN would people spurn the most world-class cities on earth and the most sought after tourist attractions/venues for Stubbs in Austin lol. Dude goes to NYC, Paris, London, Rome, Florence, etc.. and complains about their "substandard" conditions lol. Have a blast and go wild at the Hyatt Regency Austin bro. If you go with a group, maybe you can snag a sweet 2 for 1 deal at the buffet. Actually, you're probably right. A place like Stubbs in Austin seems just about right for ASA's level. World class would just be wasted on that little outfit. Peasantry mindset.
San Francisco being a “world class city” is arguable and don’t let that pretty bridge fool you it’s an expensive dump. But this response is probably from someone that visit once, went to a Giants game and took a picture at Alcatraz and thought it was the best place in the world. Ok bud.

This place is just weather and water and the weather isn’t even all that great

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
San Francisco being a “world class city” is arguable and don’t let that pretty bridge fool you it’s an expensive dump. But this response is probably from someone that visit once, went to a Giants game and took a picture at Alcatraz and thought it was the best place in the world. Ok bud.

San Francisco is dirty, but it still has world class things to do in the area.

San Francisco is dirty, but it still has world class things to do in the area.
I want to hear the things that people did here when they came to the ASA that I would hold up and say “Yeah. This is In the conversation with NYC, Paris, and London” I’ll wait

Reactions: 1 user
I like how the thread about Southern California is now about San Francisco.

Reactions: 4 users
I want to hear the things that people did here when they came to the ASA that I would hold up and say “Yeah. This is In the conversation with NYC, Paris, and London” I’ll wait

Napa day trip for me

You can add San Diego to the list of overhyped places.

P.S. This post will definitely make Salty happy. :wacky:

LOL. I don’t necessarily disagree with you. It’s definitely not in the same league with NYC, Chicago, etc. I don’t live there anymore but there’s lots I miss about SD. Just depends on what you want in a city. What I look for is probably different than what most others look for.

Best beer this side of Belgium though.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I can tell Cedars seems very selective and they have some non teaching faculty as opposed to UCLA/USC which are fully academic.

How is San Diego overhyped? Less traffic than OC and LA, weather is unbeatable, easier access to beaches (arguably), cost of living not as bad as good parts of LA, OC and much less of a 'real housewives of OC' feel. Last but not least the BEER. This is coming from someone who lives in LA.

How is San Diego overhyped? Less traffic than OC and LA, weather is unbeatable, easier access to beaches (arguably), cost of living not as bad as good parts of LA, OC and much less of a 'real housewives of OC' feel. Last but not least the BEER. This is coming from someone who lives in LA.

Also predominantly MD only anesthesia. No supervision. No AMCs. No long partner tracks or pyramid schemes.

I meant it generally, at a national level, not relative to the other Californian big cities (which I haven't seen). It was overhyped to me repeatedly, then I went there for the ASA meeting and I came back unimpressed (except for the weather, and some of the surrounding nature).

Now, I admit, it takes stuff like old Europe to really impress me, hence my favorite North American city is... Quebec City. I can't stand places like New York City, which so many Americans think is the best thing since sliced bread.

(My wife disagrees about both NYC and SD. :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand places like New York City, which so many Americans think is the best thing since sliced bread.

Ah, it's spring in New York.

Douglas Adam's said:
Spring is over-rated. A lot of the inhabitants of New York will honk on mightily about the pleasures of spring, but if they actually knew the first thing about the pleasures of spring they would know of at least five thousand nine hundred and eighty three better places to spend it than New York, and that's just on the same latitude.

I meant it generally, at a national level, not relative to the other Californian big cities (which I haven't seen). It was overhyped to me repeatedly, then I went there for the ASA meeting and I came back unimpressed (except for the weather, and some of the surrounding nature).

Now, I admit, it takes stuff like old Europe to really impress me, hence my favorite North American city is... Quebec City. I can't stand places like New York City, which so many Americans think is the best thing since sliced bread.

(My wife disagrees about both NYC and SD. :) )
I mean if you're comparing US cities to European US cites it's really an apples to oranges comparison. I think also general lifestyle comes into play ie pub culture in the UK, cafe culture in France, etc. I know I myself when I'm there experiencing general culture I find myself saying "why can't the US be more like this?" then you add the historic charm of the cites, hell even the ones that were destroyed and rebuilt like in Germany. For the most part US cities are fine, it's just they don't have the "culture" of a European city.

I will say that at least in California you're getting somewhat a salary that somewhat keeps up with cost of living. I mean this is all 1%er problems but as an anesthesiologist in California, you're doing pretty darn well. It may not be Hollywood actor or Venture capitalist money but I'd make an argument that pound for pound we do better than those being robbed by AMCs in the northeast. I feel like even the academic jobs have better salaries but that may be N=1 knowledge.

What? I have heard the complete opposite. Especially the big group that has SD on lockdown.

I don’t work for ASMG, but they are a fair/equitable group. No significant buy-in, 1 year to partner. Blended unit eat what you kill. There are some quirks but those are the result of trying to keep everyone happy in a group of nearly 200. Downsides are unit value isn’t stellar and overhead is highish (due to sheer size).

I don’t work for ASMG, but they are a fair/equitable group. No significant buy-in, 1 year to partner. Blended unit eat what you kill. There are some quirks but those are the result of trying to keep everyone happy in a group of nearly 200. Downsides are unit value isn’t stellar and overhead is highish (due to sheer size).

overhead per doc should go down as a group gets bigger due to economies of scale

San Diego aint THAT nice
ASMG has the Sharp and Scripps. Both systems should have decent insurance mix. CA gov website has insurance info (third party, mediCal, Medicare) for discharged pts for all the hospitals. Besides, it is so dominant in SD area and should have good negotiating power. I will be very surprised if the RVU is below 35.

ASMG has the Sharp and Scripps. Both systems should have decent insurance mix. CA gov website has insurance info (third party, mediCal, Medicare) for discharged pts for all the hospitals. Besides, it is so dominant in SD area and should have good negotiating power. I will be very surprised if the RVU is below 35.
I guess my response is more philosophical in that for the work we do and the risk we take everyday no unit value should be below $50

Can’t say I really disagree with anything he said - although I don’t think anyone ever made the argument that CA was a good place to make a lot of money as a Dr.
I think I’ve been very outspoken that California is financially a terrible place to live, unless you’re a VC, A list actor, or pro athlete.

I think I’ve been very outspoken that California is financially a terrible place to live, unless you’re a VC, A list actor, or pro athlete.

Yup. Anytime someone asks me about moving here I tell them not too.

When we interview people from out of state I always ask them if they’re moving because they got sick of affordable housing and low state taxes.

Yup. Anytime someone asks me about moving here I tell them not too.

When we interview people from out of state I always ask them if they’re moving because they got sick of affordable housing and low state taxes.
I made all my in-laws mad at a holiday gathering when I told them the only reason we're still here is because of weather, essentially saying, family is not worth the housing cost and taxes. At this point I'm just too lazy to move across country and I haven't sold myself on driving in snowstorms.

I made all my in-laws mad at a holiday gathering when I told them the only reason we're still here is because of weather, essentially saying, family is not worth the housing cost and taxes. At this point I'm just too lazy to move across country and I haven't sold myself on driving in snowstorms.

Don’t kid yourself. You wouldn’t be happy living in the snow. You wouldn’t like being that visible.

Don’t kid yourself. You wouldn’t be happy living in the snow. You wouldn’t like being that visible.
I’d just be Major Grant from Die Hard 2
7F608646-00DE-4ED0-8CA5-EA1876FE06AB.jpeg

I like WCI, but whenever he puts up an anti-California post it’s never really specific to physicians, except the Medicare reimbursement. Everything else applies to many other professions. Never mind those that have significantly lower income. He’s basically arguing no one should live in CA from a financial perspective. If that’s what you believe, that’s fine. But calling it a physician wasteland, as he often does, is sensationalist and disingenuous.

Reactions: 1 users
I like WCI, but whenever he puts up an anti-California post it’s never really specific to physicians, except the Medicare reimbursement. Everything else applies to many other professions. Never mind those that have significantly lower income. He’s basically arguing no one should live in CA from a financial perspective. If that’s what you believe, that’s fine. But calling it a physician wasteland, as he often does, is sensationalist and disingenuous.

there is very little economic argument for anyone to ever want to live in California.

I mean it's OK, there are plenty of other reasons to want to live there.

there is very little economic argument for anyone to ever want to live in California.

I mean it's OK, there are plenty of other reasons to want to live there.
And to be honest, when you say “California” you really need to be specific about the area. The ridiculous expensive areas are the big 3 (SF area, LA, SD). Other parts of California are somewhat affordable on average physician salaries but I argue those areas aren’t what you dream about when you desire to move to CA, unless you LOVE the desert or LOVE farmland

I mean I guess Fresno or Santa Clarita could be cool but I better have a hobby