Difficult to find a job in Southern California..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And to be honest, when you say “California” you really need to be specific about the area. The ridiculous expensive areas are the big 3 (SF area, LA, SD). Other parts of California are somewhat affordable on average physician salaries but I argue those areas aren’t what you dream about when you desire to move to CA, unless you LOVE the desert or LOVE farmland

I mean I guess Fresno or Santa Clarita could be cool but I better have a hobby

$500/month rent for 1 bedroom in Visalia, CA haha. Did my intern year in central California. Nurse from Ann Arbor, MI moved to Central California thinking it was going to be palm trees and sunshine.......surprise is an understatement

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Being that I’m in NY, I would pay a premium tax for the sun and warm weather. My wife and I have discussed being snow birds (winter in Vegas) after our kids are done with HS. I can tell you, you gotta pay to play to live on either coast.

$500/month rent for 1 bedroom in Visalia, CA haha. Did my intern year in central California. Nurse from Ann Arbor, MI moved to Central California thinking it was going to be palm trees and sunshine.......surprise is an understatement
There are palm trees and sunshine in Central CA. There just isn't any water.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can add San Diego to the list of overhyped places.

P.S. This post will definitely make Salty happy. :wacky:

View from my bedroom porch in horrible San Diego.

Attachments

• 76E2569B-CDF6-4AB0-B6FC-1F202FCE36FD.jpeg
    76E2569B-CDF6-4AB0-B6FC-1F202FCE36FD.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Ironically one of the biggest downsides of living in CA for most physicians (home costs) has turned into their biggest upside. Any doctor in the last 60 years who bought and held a house in a desirable part of CA has made a killing in appreciation. Of course past performance doesn’t guarantee future results.

I love living in NorCal. Weather is great, beautiful scenery, love the multicultural nature, and most importantly family was near by. Of course it’s a poor financial decision (mostly due to state taxes, real estate is a (usually) appreciating asset), but it’s the right call for me and many others.
Like WCI says, all decisions have consequences. If I had a 400k house in Midwestern city, I could easily afford a Ferrari whilst still saving all I need. I’ll take my expensive (smaller) house and stay where I’m at.

Reactions: 4 users