Disabled looking for a way to achieve the impossible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre-Vetstudent1

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm Katherine
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to find a way to become a DVM with my deficit in math. My disability is called an Auditory Processing Disorder and this deficit makes it hard for me to learn new languages, retain information people have said to me(7% retention rate), and its extremely difficult to learn math concepts in college in 5 months. More specifically Algebra, I know I'm capable of learning the math types that I need for med school but is there any way I can do it in a non-conventional way? What I mean is, only learning what I must have for statistics, chemistry, and physics instead of being forced to learn more than I need. I'm so frustrated I have a 3.4 gpa with my failure in Algebra included and I just can't seem to get the help I need in the one subject I can't manage on my own. I haven't gotten a single grant for my disability, I've never been on disability ever, and I feel like I'm at my wits end with my situation. I don't want to be sitting in community college for the rest of my life wondering if anyone is going to give me a hand up. I'm a course away from my AA degree in math/science but that still leaves my transfer courses to work on. What can I do to change my situation to get a bachelor's in Animal Science and be ready for Veterinary School?
 
Hello, I'm Katherine
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to find a way to become a DVM with my deficit in math. My disability is called an Auditory Processing Disorder and this deficit makes it hard for me to learn new languages, retain information people have said to me(7% retention rate), and its extremely difficult to learn math concepts in college in 5 months. More specifically Algebra, I know I'm capable of learning the math types that I need for med school but is there any way I can do it in a non-conventional way? What I mean is, only learning what I must have for statistics, chemistry, and physics instead of being forced to learn more than I need. I'm so frustrated I have a 3.4 gpa with my failure in Algebra included and I just can't seem to get the help I need in the one subject I can't manage on my own. I haven't gotten a single grant for my disability, I've never been on disability ever, and I feel like I'm at my wits end with my situation. I don't want to be sitting in community college for the rest of my life wondering if anyone is going to give me a hand up. I'm a course away from my AA degree in math/science but that still leaves my transfer courses to work on. What can I do to change my situation to get a bachelor's in Animal Science and be ready for Veterinary School?
Katherine,

I have a disability which causes me to have some symptoms analogous to yours, I have post concussion syndrome. Having a disability definitely makes everything more difficult, but not impossible. I have a few suggestions: First, contact your school disabilities service office if you have not already. Once you have done that, request a meeting with your professors to discuss your issues, they may have suggestions.
Second: You know that you have difficulty learning from what you hear, find another way to take in and assimilate information. For instance, I have difficulty understanding concepts that I see, but I retain what I hear, so I record lectures and take notes after class. I struggle with spatial concepts, so in physics, I focused on the equations, and not on the graphical analysis. Basically, a disability requires creativity, we can't do things the way everyone else does, but by finding a way around the obstacles, we can be successful. Good Luck, don't give up
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could also always try taking math classes online! I took calculus online and it was all text-based which might be helpful in your situation! Good luck
 
Does your school have a disability services office? Talking to them should be your first step.
Hey supershorty, I have tried to work with the DSPS but they aren't really responding in a way that means I will finish my transfer program.
I'm not sure how to get the result that I'm looking to reach for.
 
Katherine,

I have a disability which causes me to have some symptoms analogous to yours, I have post concussion syndrome. Having a disability definitely makes everything more difficult, but not impossible. I have a few suggestions: First, contact your school disabilities service office if you have not already. Once you have done that, request a meeting with your professors to discuss your issues, they may have suggestions.
Second: You know that you have difficulty learning from what you hear, find another way to take in and assimilate information. For instance, I have difficulty understanding concepts that I see, but I retain what I hear, so I record lectures and take notes after class. I struggle with spatial concepts, so in physics, I focused on the equations, and not on the graphical analysis. Basically, a disability requires creativity, we can't do things the way everyone else does, but by finding a way around the obstacles, we can be successful. Good Luck, don't give up

I'm glad I'm not the only one attempting to get to medical school as a disabled student and I have indeed attempted to get help from my school's disability office.
However, nothing is happening but me being pushed through the system for my AA and then I will be stuck because I can't afford tutors for Algebra or go up to school and get tutoring because I'm jobless. I also can't go forward because I need the disability office to consider allowing me to test into Physics, Statistics, and Chemistry(and substitute Algebra with other classes) with the help of tutors. I'm going to try again and I have scheduled an appointment and tell them what I need to transfer. That's interesting, I have trouble retaining information that I hear but I am very much a textbook reader versus listening to auditory lectures alone.
 
You could also always try taking math classes online! I took calculus online and it was all text-based which might be helpful in your situation! Good luck

I actually have been doing Intro to Physics and an online College Algebra course but I don't have any money to purchase anything outside of my college.
 
Hey supershorty, I have tried to work with the DSPS but they aren't really responding in a way that means I will finish my transfer program.
I'm not sure how to get the result that I'm looking to reach for.

Have you been evaluated by a professional to get your diagnosis? If you do this, that person can send paperwork to your school's disability services and they will accommodate you per the professional's recommendation. I've gone through this at my school - once you have an "official" diagnosis and proper paperwork, it's generally pretty easy to get accommodations put into place.
 
Have you been evaluated by a professional to get your diagnosis? If you do this, that person can send paperwork to your school's disability services and they will accommodate you per the professional's recommendation. I've gone through this at my school - once you have an "official" diagnosis and proper paperwork, it's generally pretty easy to get accommodations put into place.

I was diagnosed at 6 years old, and then re-evaluated in high school with the same diagnosis and my disability office knows about my disability.
My main problem is finding a way to get around or through Algebra requirements to start Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, and Microbiology.
I have some solutions but I don't know if my disability office is willing to do the work it requires but I finally have the money to drive up to my disability office.
Its been exceedingly difficult to stay in touch because my disability office is too far away for me to go and visit regularly. I tried email and phone calls but usually they go unanswered for weeks at a time. Sometimes they call back(never email) but when I re-dial the number they just never seem to get back to me. My current accommodation's are minor because my overall intelligence is very good but I'm sorely tested in Algebra and time and a half on the tests do nothing for me when I can't get the concepts in 5 months.
 
I was diagnosed at 6 years old, and then re-evaluated in high school with the same diagnosis and my disability office knows about my disability.
My main problem is finding a way to get around or through Algebra requirements to start Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, and Microbiology.
I have some solutions but I don't know if my disability office is willing to do the work it requires but I finally have the money to drive up to my disability office.
Its been exceedingly difficult to stay in touch because my disability office is too far away for me to go and visit regularly. I tried email and phone calls but usually they go unanswered for weeks at a time. Sometimes they call back(never email) but when I re-dial the number they just never seem to get back to me. My current accommodation's are minor because my overall intelligence is very good but I'm sorely tested in Algebra and time and a half on the tests do nothing for me when I can't get the concepts in 5 months.
You will need algebra for chemistry and physics at the very least. I definitely wouldn't try to get around the algebra requirement, because you'll have just as hard of a time in chem and especially physics, which is largely algebra.

They are legally required to accommodate you within reason. If you have a documented disability and they just don't want to do the work to help you, that's unacceptable and illegal. There must be someone you can consult with about that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile
 
You will need algebra for chemistry and physics at the very least. I definitely wouldn't try to get around the algebra requirement, because you'll have just as hard of a time in chem and especially physics, which is largely algebra.

They are legally required to accommodate you within reason. If you have a documented disability and they just don't want to do the work to help you, that's unacceptable and illegal. There must be someone you can consult with about that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I don't believe that I need every single concept in Algebra to become good at Physics, Chemistry, and Statistics and I'm also strained for time and money. My three solutions are either form an Algebra curriculum for students like me, help me to test into courses that I need like Chemistry(after extensive tutoring), or continue with what they are trying to do which is give me course substitutions with no solution to moving onto Chemistry and other courses. They had told me about a year Algebra course but it was much too far away for me to pursue due to lack of funds to drive hours away every day. Personally, I think the best thing would be to train me in the Algebra concepts I must have because compressing the amount of concepts I need to learn will not only save me time and money but will help me to learn these select concepts thoroughly. That kind of accommodation could really help me become good at those necessary concepts and eventually Physics. A big reason I've been struggling though is lack of funds to hire tutors to help me keep up with my classmates.
I'm not sure I hope that I can straighten it out with the disability office but there is no guarantee that they will. I really hope so though because I really don't want to have to drop out of college or be stuck forever.
 
I guess my question is how would you get through vet school without auditory learning?
 
I understand where you're coming from, OP, but at the same time, in vet school, you have to learn concepts that you won't actually use in your practice - because you will be tested on them. I don't think that making a selective curriculum for yourself is the answer because you won't be able to do that in vet school to prepare for NAVLE. Algebra is really important for a lot of subjects.

ETA: Actually, I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from, because it does seem like you want something that's beyond the scope of "reasonable accommodation" and more like "totally changing the game in a way that's advantageous." My understanding of disability services is that they are to level the playing field, whether that's through extended test time, or taking a test in a quieter location, etc. Not for things like completely overhauling the curriculum for a single student.
 
Last edited:
I agree with sheltermed, Algebra was rough, but without it, I wouldn't have been able to make it through physics or chem.
 
I don't believe that I need every single concept in Algebra to become good at Physics, Chemistry, and Statistics and I'm also strained for time and money.

No offense intended, but these are crappy reasons. We all thought some pre-reqs weren't as useful as others - they are still pre-reqs and having a disability might mean you need some assistance completing them, but it in NO WAY should mean you get to skip them, which seems to be what you're implying when you use the phrase "get around".

And as far as time and money .... You are no different than any of the rest of us in that regard either. We ALL would like things to move faster sometimes, and we ALL have financial concerns. I don't see what either of those have to do with your disability either.

You really sound less interested in appropriate accommodations for your disability and more interested in a free pass. That isn't how it works. Or how it should work, for that matter.

P.S. Algebra is essential.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't believe that I need every single concept in Algebra to become good at Physics, Chemistry, and Statistics and I'm also strained for time and money. My three solutions are either form an Algebra curriculum for students like me, help me to test into courses that I need like Chemistry(after extensive tutoring), or continue with what they are trying to do which is give me course substitutions with no solution to moving onto Chemistry and other courses. They had told me about a year Algebra course but it was much too far away for me to pursue due to lack of funds to drive hours away every day. Personally, I think the best thing would be to train me in the Algebra concepts I must have because compressing the amount of concepts I need to learn will not only save me time and money but will help me to learn these select concepts thoroughly. That kind of accommodation could really help me become good at those necessary concepts and eventually Physics. A big reason I've been struggling though is lack of funds to hire tutors to help me keep up with my classmates.
I'm not sure I hope that I can straighten it out with the disability office but there is no guarantee that they will. I really hope so though because I really don't want to have to drop out of college or be stuck forever.
Your problem is, you're not exhausting every resource. You say you can't afford a tutor for algebra, have you been on the academic side of YouTube or KhanAcademy? There are a plethora of videos for every topic you struggle with. There are textbooks you can read, and phone apps to download. Don't just dismiss Algebra because you struggle with it. You will never get through Physics or Chemistry without it, and you DEFINITELY won't get through organic chemistry with that attitude. Besides, the GRE has a LOT of algebra on it. If you can't do algebra, how are you expected to be able to calculate drug dosages as DVM?

Despite all this, your biggest issue is this line: " I don't want to be sitting in community college for the rest of my life wondering if anyone is going to give me a hand up". We are all given different disabilities, I have hearing loss, you have APD and have difficulty retaining information because of it. You need to understand how to work with it and still learn from it. The honest truth is no one is going to give you a hand up. So you can either live the rest of your life wondering why your dreams aren't coming true, or you can work and fight like hell and make them come true.
 
I was diagnosed at 6 years old, and then re-evaluated in high school with the same diagnosis and my disability office knows about my disability.
My main problem is finding a way to get around or through Algebra requirements to start Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, and Microbiology.
I have some solutions but I don't know if my disability office is willing to do the work it requires but I finally have the money to drive up to my disability office.
Its been exceedingly difficult to stay in touch because my disability office is too far away for me to go and visit regularly. I tried email and phone calls but usually they go unanswered for weeks at a time. Sometimes they call back(never email) but when I re-dial the number they just never seem to get back to me. My current accommodation's are minor because my overall intelligence is very good but I'm sorely tested in Algebra and time and a half on the tests do nothing for me when I can't get the concepts in 5 months.
Unfortunately, I really must agree with LIS and cdoconn. If you want to be a vet, there is no "getting around" algebra... you have to get through it. You have full legal right to consult with your disability office and figure out what reasonable accommodations need to happen to make it work, but you do need to be comfortable with the concepts at the very least. If you are not, you will probably struggle severely with chemistry and physics. I know you say that you won't, but trust me--you almost certainly will. Especially in gen chem 2. Aside from that, most (all?) vet schools have a nutrition course that is pretty math-heavy, too (or ours is, anyway); not to mention that, as a vet, you will need to be able to calculate fluid rates and drug dosages, among other things. There is also a LOT of algebra in statistics, since you mentioned that, too. Like LIS said upthread, it is essential.

Does your school not offer free tutoring? I worked my last couple of years of undergrad as a tutor--it was a service offered at no charge to students and I know a lot of them benefited greatly from it, especially for math. Maybe look into that as a supplemental option if you can.

ETA: I guess I just take issue with the wording of "getting around". Feel free to clarify if I am reading you incorrectly, but it makes it sound like you're wanting to either be able to skip the class entirely or have it completely redesigned/condensed for you. I highly, highly doubt that those options fall into the realm of reasonable accommodation--extended time for tests and/or taking them in a quieter room to avoid distractions probably would, though. Seriously discuss it with your disability office, but as I understand it the whole point of accommodation is to level the playing field so that you're on equal footing with everyone else, not to give you a complete leg up over the rest of the class or let you skirt around requirements like you seem to be suggesting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Free tutoring is pretty common. If the university doesn't just offer it, normally the disability services office will get you in touch with free services that do.

Plus many clubs and some departments just offer tutoring. I know I could have gotten hooked up with a tutor via any of my professors, each department has a tutoring program, plus the Native American Student programs, plus the Grad students of color, plus the mom's support group, plus the non traditional student group... and on and on.

The departments and student councils also said if there was a class someone needed a tutor in that they didn't currently offer, they would find someone to tutor it.

Ask around. Ask your professors. Nobody can help unless they are shown you need it. (And I have seen cases where the disability services really only helped out if you talked to the professor too because their hands were tied without knowing what was possible within the class.)
 
Algebra is pretty important. Fluid calculations, drug dosages, concentrations, etc use it.

Don't use your disability as an excuse to not do the work. If this is what you want, there are steps you must go through, like everybody else. Do get accommodations if needed.

Easy to say when you don't live with it every day. You don't have any idea how hard I've worked and what it took to get out of high school alone. I've done most of my college work myself I just need help with Algebra(every other course is As and Bs). They aren't giving me many options to choose from and you know what there is nothing wrong with doing things unconventionally. If I can find a way to do things better for myself and still meet the requirements without every single Algebra concept and simply narrow it down to the ones I must have I will. I've already talked to my professor who is a doctor and he didn't need every single Algebra concept to be a great Pathologist. I already know what I would prefer specializing in reproductive care or simply doing general practice both are great in my opinion.
 
I guess my question is how would you get through vet school without auditory learning?

Muscle memory, textbooks, and written commands. I remember 7% of what I hear, I'm not deaf it just takes extra work to gain concepts. Many non-disabled students aren't as good at learning non-visually.
 
Easy to say when you don't live with it every day. You don't have any idea how hard I've worked and what it took to get out of high school alone. I've done most of my college work myself I just need help with Algebra(every other course is As and Bs). They aren't giving me many options to choose from and you know what there is nothing wrong with doing things unconventionally. If I can find a way to do things better for myself and still meet the requirements without every single Algebra concept and simply narrow it down to the ones I must have I will. I've already talked to my professor who is a doctor and he didn't need every single Algebra concept to be a great Pathologist. I already know what I would prefer specializing in reproductive care or simply doing general practice both are great in my opinion.


Other people have other problems, too. Other people don't use that as an excuse to get out of something.

you need algebra for GP. You don't get to choose the important concepts (nor should you). You never know what concepts you will need to build upon to understand something else.

You don't like a subject? Too bad. You don't get to choose classes in vet school, either. Think of this as a good way to prove you want it and are willing to work for it.

You seem to think everyone should be doing for you. You should be doing the best you can and using accommodations as necessary. Your goal shouldn't be to avoid taking a class.
 
I understand where you're coming from, OP, but at the same time, in vet school, you have to learn concepts that you won't actually use in your practice - because you will be tested on them. I don't think that making a selective curriculum for yourself is the answer because you won't be able to do that in vet school to prepare for NAVLE. Algebra is really important for a lot of subjects.

ETA: Actually, I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from, because it does seem like you want something that's beyond the scope of "reasonable accommodation" and more like "totally changing the game in a way that's advantageous." My understanding of disability services is that they are to level the playing field, whether that's through extended test time, or taking a test in a quieter location, etc. Not for things like completely overhauling the curriculum for a single student.

So you think time and a half is all I should get seriously? I'm trying to figure out a way that teaches people like me that is less time consuming, less financially burdensome, and can actually teach me what I need to know within a reasonable timeframe. They aren't doing anything because I'm so much better in everything else that the one thing that is severe I get virtually no help with. When they calculate your accommodation's they take into account your IQ, your overall performance, and your deficiencies. Well the easiest way I can think of is to get a tutor who can teach me the Algebra concepts I need and just have the disability office work with the math department(which they have offered to other students in the past) to vouch for me when I go to ask to be tested into Intro to Physics, Intro to Chem and so on. I'm literally stonewalled I can't go any further for General Biology I & II, Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, Statistics, and my AA degree just because of something that is correctable. I really don't see how that is fair after how much work I put into this by myself and if it helps me to be on par with my peers how is that giving me something extra? I would literally be spending more time, more course credits, and money to bring myself up-to a normal person's level.
 
Other people have other problems, too. Other people don't use that as an excuse to get out of something.

you need algebra for GP. You don't get to choose the important concepts (nor should you). You never know what concepts you will need to build upon to understand something else.

You don't like a subject? Too bad. You don't get to choose classes in vet school, either. Think of this as a good way to prove you want it and are willing to work for it.

You seem to think everyone should be doing for you. You should be doing the best you can and using accommodations as necessary. Your goal shouldn't be to avoid taking a class.

I failed Algebra three times, yes I'm totally trying to get out of it that's funny really. Its not that I don't like Algebra I'm not getting the help I need to become proficient and I need to do it differently. If I consistently bang my head against a wall is that going to get me anywhere? No, of course not because doing the same thing over and over again when you fail changes nothing.

Its a step by step process, I never asked to get out of anything I asked to compress Algebra concepts and if I need to revisit other concepts I'm lacking to meet later requirements I will. That is not getting out of anything that is actually having to work harder than someone without a disability which I already do.
 
I failed Algebra three times, yes I'm totally trying to get out of it that's funny really. Its not that I don't like Algebra I'm not getting the help I need to become proficient and I need to do it differently. If I consistently bang my head against a wall is that going to get me anywhere? No, of course not because doing the same thing over and over again when you fail changes nothing.

Its a step by step process, I never asked to get out of anything I asked to compress Algebra concepts and if I need to revisit others to meet later requirements I will. That is not getting out of anything that is actually having to work harder than someone without a disability which I already do.
then the problem is that you need a different way to learn. Not that you need a way to not learn some of it. Do you see the difference?

The class is important and a pre-req for a reason. You have a disability. It sucks. You need to find what works for you.
 
Muscle memory, textbooks, and written commands. I remember 7% of what I hear, I'm not deaf it just takes extra work to gain concepts. Many non-disabled students aren't as good at learning non-visually.

If you think it will work for vet school, it will work for algebra too. Different subjects will take different study methods, that goes for disabled or non disabled. Like others have said, basic algebra will come back to haunt you over and over again in medicine.

Everyone on this board has had their individual challenges when it comes to learning. I am not at all an auditory learner. Between hearing loss and tinnitus, I never did well in lectures. Instead, I made my way through with a combination of recorded lectures that I could play back at a slower speed and pause as needed, written outlines, flashcards and white boards.

No one on here is saying that your issues aren't an issue. But skipping the concepts you don't like isn't doing yourself any favors. Take the time now to figure out a workaround that helps you, translate the algebra into a language you understand. You'll need it later when you are trying to learn 10x the information in half the amount of time.
 
I never asked to get out of anything

When you say something like this:

My main problem is finding a way to get around or through Algebra requirements

People are going to very reasonably interpret that as you looking to get out of it. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but you can hardly criticize people for interpreting it as you wanting to bypass the requirements, because that's exactly what "to get around" should be interpreted as.

You need to come to grips with a few realities:

1) You need to learn algebra. Period.
2) You have no idea what pre-reqs are going to be useful in vet school and practice because you haven't been there! Once you are out in practice, you can look backwards and decide which ones were useful. But right now - you simply don't know. Don't kid yourself and insist you do, because you don't.
3) It is 100% fair to require you to learn algebra, because that's what all the rest of us had to do. Giving you a free pass would be unfair to the rest of us who had to pay the money, expend the time, and invest the effort. You don't deserve anything more than reasonable accommodations to help you master the material based on whatever disability you have. That's it. Emphasis on "to help you master the material" - not skip it.

You would help yourself more if you would find a way to complete the algebra pre-req, rather than expending energy looking for, in your own words, a way to "get around" it.

P.S. "You don't know how hard I've worked" is a really pointless thing to say. Don't forget - you don't know how hard anyone else has worked. I'd take your disability over some of the disabilities of other board members ANY DAY. I'd take your disability over Dyachei's pain management issues ANY DAY. I'd take your disability over going back to school in my late 30s and trying to balance pre-reqs, gaining experience, working full time, and raising a family ANY DAY. So I'd lose the attitude, and quit playing the "my problems are worse than your problems" game. There is always someone who can one-up you. Always.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
then the problem is that you need a different way to learn. Not that you need a way to not learn some of it. Do you see the difference?

The class is important and a pre-req for a reason. You have a disability. It sucks. You need to find what works for you.

Tell me something I don't know, I'm looking for solution's not people trying to shame me into trying to learn exactly like they did.
To me that is closed-minded to assume that someone has to conform to a specific method of teaching to learn important concepts. The problem is the more concepts I have to learn the harder it is for me to hold onto the information. It could take me 5 years just to finish the Algebra requirements and I don't have the funds now because I don't have the experience to get a job. And even if I had a job it would be very difficult for me to complete pre-reqs at the same time do you see how that works? I absolutely would love nothing better than to wake up one tomorrow and not have this permanent brain injury but I can't. Knowing my limitation's is beneficial because I can still become proficient by doing things differently. I'm not trying to become a lesser DVM just trying to find different ways to learn the same things. The chances of me getting a curriculum designed for all disabled students is extremely slim. So that leaves two options that I mentioned earlier: Allow my disability office to substitute Algebra and possibly continue to get stonewalled for pre-req after I get my AA or get tutored specifically for the classes I need and request permission to test into later courses. This is not a new concept its just hard to get usually does that make sense?
 
Tell me something I don't know, I'm looking for solution's not people trying to shame me into trying to learn exactly like they did.
To me that is closed-minded to assume that someone has to conform to a specific method of teaching to learn important concepts. The problem is the more concepts I have to learn the harder it is for me to hold onto the information. It could take me 5 years just to finish the Algebra requirements and I don't have the funds now because I don't have the experience to get a job. And even if I had a job it would be very difficult for me to complete pre-reqs at the same time do you see how that works? I absolutely would love nothing better than to wake up one tomorrow and not have this permanent brain injury but I can't. Knowing my limitation's is beneficial because I can still become proficient by doing things differently. I'm not trying to become a lesser DVM just trying to find different ways to learn the same things. The chances of me getting a curriculum designed for all disabled students is extremely slim. So that leaves two options that I mentioned earlier: Allow my disability office to substitute Algebra and possibly continue to get stonewalled for pre-req after I get my AA or get tutored specifically for the classes I need and request permission to test into later courses. This is not a new concept its just hard to get usually does that make sense?
nobody is forcing you to learn in a specific way.

and I'm sorry you have challenges, but other people do, too.

You want people here to tell you it's ok, you don't need algebra. But that's not the case.

You're not trying to find different ways to learn the same thing. you're trying to find ways to skip some of the material
 
When you say something like this:



People are going to very reasonably interpret that as you looking to get out of it. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but you can hardly criticize people for interpreting it as you wanting to bypass the requirements.

You need to come to grips with a few realities:

1) You need to learn algebra. Period.
2) You have no idea what pre-reqs are going to be useful in vet school and practice because you haven't been there! Once you are out in practice, you can look backwards and decide which ones were useful. But right now - you simply don't know. Don't kid yourself and insist you do, because you don't.
3) It is 100% fair to require you to learn algebra, because that's what all the rest of us had to do. Giving you a free pass would be unfair to the rest of us who had to pay the money, expend the time, and invest the effort. You don't deserve anything more than reasonable accommodations to help you master the material based on whatever disability you have. That's it. Emphasis on "to help you master the material" - not skip it.

You would help yourself more if you would find a way to complete the algebra pre-req, rather than expending energy looking for, in your own words, a way to "get around" it.

I think your post comes off as negative I said,"my main problem is finding a way to get around or through Algebra requirements" and I'm doing the best I can. They offered me course substitution's so it was sanctioned by my college. Its not unfair when I have to work twice as hard as you to get the same learning in math. I already repeated Algebra three times I didn't get a "free" pass at all I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with something I've had my get in my way my entire life. But you can't shame me into using a specific method that you had to use that didn't work for me. I have put in way more time than most of my peers, more money, and a lot of effort attempting to get through on my own merit. Guess what it doesn't work to try things that don't work for you. Instead of focusing on negative stuff I would prefer solution's that would help me. You have no idea what its like to have a disability but maybe you would have more sympathy if you understand the hoops I have to jump through every semester just to stay enrolled in college.
 
Tell me something I don't know, I'm looking for solution's not people trying to shame me into trying to learn exactly like they did.

Where - EXACTLY - did someone say you should "learn exactly like they did"?

Everyone has said you should learn the same material. Not that you should learn it in any particular way.

You have a lot of growing up to do. Good luck.
 
Last edited:
nobody is forcing you to learn in a specific way.

and I'm sorry you have challenges, but other people do, too.

You want people here to tell you it's ok, you don't need algebra. But that's not the case.

You're not trying to find different ways to learn the same thing. you're trying to find ways to skip some of the material

I didn't say never do Algebra, I said I need a way for me to learn better but its not going to be that easy. Heck if you want to teach me to be proficient in College Algebra teach me and I will be eternally grateful. I have never had anyone offer to help me for free so until you do I don't really see how this is going to help me solve this problem. Look for the solution not the problem is my motto.
 
well. what if another student just couldn't do organic chem. Should they just get to skip that?

Its a bit different when that is a core part of your bachelor's and irreplaceable. Some topics in Algebra(throughout Math 90-105) you actually don't need but they feel the need to add them as an overview so your more well rounded this is coming from my professor who is a fantastic doctor.
 
I didn't say never do Algebra, I said I need a way for me to learn better but its not going to be that easy. Heck if you want to teach me to be proficient in College Algebra teach me and I will be eternally grateful. I have never had anyone offer to help me for free so until you do I don't really see how this is going to help me solve this problem. Look for the solution not the problem is my motto.

Why should it be free?

This is what tutors are for. Finding solutions for your personal learning styles.
Its a bit different when that is a core part of your bachelor's and irreplaceable. Many topics in Algebra you actually don't need but they feel the need to add them as an overview so your more well rounded this is coming from my professor who is a fantastic doctor.
Organic chem was core to my BS. It was irreplaceable if I wanted that degree.

Understand this: you do not know what concepts you need and which you don't.

I'm glad he's a fantastic doctor, but he is incorrect in this instance. algebra is a necessary evil
 
Where - EXACTLY - did someone say you should "learn exactly like did"?

Everyone has said you should learn the same material. Not that you should learn it in any particular way.

You have a lot of growing up to do. Good luck.

You literally assumed that I meant I absolutely was trying to just not do Algebra at all. I was talking about the only solution's that have been offered I would be happy to take College Algebra if I was taught and it wouldn't take me 5 years to learn it. If you want to teach me I'd be eternally grateful for that help.
 
I think your post comes off as negative I said,"my main problem is finding a way to get around or through Algebra requirements" and I'm doing the best I can. They offered me course substitution's so it was sanctioned by my college. Its not unfair when I have to work twice as hard as you to get the same learning in math. I already repeated Algebra three times I didn't get a "free" pass at all I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with something I've had my get in my way my entire life. But you can't shame me into using a specific method that you had to use that didn't work for me. I have put in way more time than most of my peers, more money, and a lot of effort attempting to get through on my own merit. Guess what it doesn't work to try things that don't work for you. Instead of focusing on negative stuff I would prefer solution's that would help me. You have no idea what its like to have a disability but maybe you would have more sympathy if you understand the hoops I have to jump through every semester just to stay enrolled in college.
That's a pretty dangerous assumption considering that you probably don't know the histories of the people who've posted in this thread... just saying.

Dy and cowgirla have already covered what I was going to say, so I won't be a broken record. I will say... OP, I am ordinarily super sympathetic in situations like this, but the attitude you've demonstrated in a couple of your posts is making it difficult for me to feel that way.
 
You came here looking for advice. You got advice. It doesn't match what you personally wanted to hear, and you're trying to scold people for not being helpful enough.

Instead of telling everyone they don't understand what you're going through, maybe you should take a step back and reconsider what you're hearing.
 
Its a bit different when that is a core part of your bachelor's and irreplaceable. Some topics in Algebra(throughout Math 90-105) you actually don't need but they feel the need to add them as an overview so your more well rounded this is coming from my professor who is a fantastic doctor.

There are at least two or three or more doctors in this thread who have told you that you need algebra, so.........
 
Why should it be free?

This is what tutors are for. Finding solutions for your personal learning styles.

Organic chem was core to my BS. It was irreplaceable if I wanted that degree.

Understand this: you do not know what concepts you need and which you don't.

I'm glad he's a fantastic doctor, but he is incorrect in this instance. algebra is a necessary evil

I can't afford a tutor right now I'm trying to find a job at a Vet clinic currently. Yes, but that is why I talk to people who are DVMs and MDs already so they can tell me what they needed for their particular practice. My professor told me that arithmetic was the key for him personally but I never said ignore Algebra altogether. I'm absolutely willing to do the work I just don't have the money so I'm trying to figure it out. What else can I do?
 
I don't believe that I need every single concept in Algebra to become good at Physics, Chemistry, and Statistics and I'm also strained for time and money. My three solutions are either form an Algebra curriculum for students like me, help me to test into courses that I need like Chemistry(after extensive tutoring), or continue with what they are trying to do which is give me course substitutions with no solution to moving onto Chemistry and other courses. They had told me about a year Algebra course but it was much too far away for me to pursue due to lack of funds to drive hours away every day. Personally, I think the best thing would be to train me in the Algebra concepts I must have because compressing the amount of concepts I need to learn will not only save me time and money but will help me to learn these select concepts thoroughly. That kind of accommodation could really help me become good at those necessary concepts and eventually Physics. A big reason I've been struggling though is lack of funds to hire tutors to help me keep up with my classmates.
I'm not sure I hope that I can straighten it out with the disability office but there is no guarantee that they will. I really hope so though because I really don't want to have to drop out of college or be stuck forever.
this is the post where you keep talking about skipping things, fwiw
 
You literally assumed that I meant I absolutely was trying to just not do Algebra at all. I was talking about the only solution's that have been offered I would be happy to take College Algebra if I was taught and it wouldn't take me 5 years to learn it. If you want to teach me I'd be eternally grateful for that help.

I didn't make that assumption at all. You used the words "getting around" the requirement. How ELSE should I interpret it?

Just get over yourself - you need to learn algebra. How you learn it is up to you. Hopefully your school can help you find a method that works for you. But you have to learn it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You came here looking for advice. You got advice. It doesn't match what you personally wanted to hear, and you're trying to scold people for not being helpful enough.

Instead of telling everyone they don't understand what you're going through, maybe you should take a step back and reconsider what you're hearing.

Right, well I think its the wrong approach to make so many assumptions about a person they personally don't know. But I'm trying to remain objective its just been frustrating without anyone who actually takes an interest in seeing me succeed.
 
I can't afford a tutor right now I'm trying to find a job at a Vet clinic currently. Yes, but that is why I talk to people who are DVMs and MDs already so they can tell me what they needed for their particular practice. My professor told me that arithmetic was the key for him personally but I never said ignore Algebra altogether. I'm absolutely willing to do the work I just don't have the money so I'm trying to figure it out. What else can I do?

Save up money and take the course when you can.

Nobody said you had to take it in a short period of time. Several people have had to work on something and come back to it later.
 
Right, well I think its the wrong approach to make so many assumptions about a person they personally don't know. But I'm trying to remain objective its just been frustrating without anyone who actually takes an interest in seeing me succeed.

So basically, it's wrong for everyone else to make assumptions about you based on your exact words, but it's ok for you to make assumptions about people and say "You have no idea what it's like to have a disability"?

Yeah. Ok. So... about those assumptions, again?
 
@Pre-Vetstudent1 I'm curious as to what you're trying to gain from arguing with us.

You want to be a martyr and for all of us to pity you? Yeah, sure. Your life sucks. I'd hate to take algebra 3 times and to only retain 7% of what you hear.

But you have 3+ doctors, a few vet students, a med student, and a couple of pre-vet students (who have already taken algebra and most of us have our own disabilities) who are ALL telling you to figure it out and figure out how to learn. So get off the internet, stop feeling sorry for yourself and telling yourself that it's impossible for you to learn. NC State got over 1200 applicants this year, do you think that they're going to be understanding that some people just won't have a required pre-requisite? No. They'll discard the application and move on to the next one.
 
There are at least two or three or more doctors in this thread who have told you that you need algebra, so.........

You actually quoted what I said and yet ignore the whole sentence this is what I said. "my main problem is finding a way to get around or through Algebra requirements."
When I said get around I mean this:
1. Course substitution's(I was offered this by my school) and then getting tutoring for the Algebra concepts necessary to take a test for Physics, Chem, etc.
2. Offer Algebra courses close to my area that are a year long( they have it 2 hours away I can't afford to go).
3. Form a new curriculum for all learning disabled students that works(highly unlikely but its a thought).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.