Disabled looking for a way to achieve the impossible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So basically, it's wrong for everyone else to make assumptions about you based on your exact words, but it's ok for you to make assumptions about people and say "You have no idea what it's like to have a disability"?

Yeah. Ok. So... about those assumptions, again?

Okay do you have a disability?
 
You actually quoted what I said and yet ignore the whole sentence this is what I said. "my main problem is finding a way to get around or through Algebra requirements."
When I said get around I mean this:
1. Course substitution's(I was offered this by my school) and then getting tutoring for the Algebra concepts necessary to take a test for Physics, Chem, etc.
2. Offer Algebra courses close to my area that are a year long( they have it 2 hours away I can't afford to go).
3. Form a new curriculum for all learning disabled students that works(highly unlikely but its a thought).

Great! So you have three options! So what do you want from us?
 
Right, well I think its the wrong approach to make so many assumptions about a person they personally don't know. But I'm trying to remain objective its just been frustrating without anyone who actually takes an interest in seeing me succeed.
That's the thing, though--I don't think anyone here made assumptions. We gave advice and commented on what information you provided.

The way you worded some of your earlier posts gave the impression that you were looking to get around taking algebra. That may not have been what you meant to convey, but that is what you said. That's why we told you that, yes, you do need to learn algebra to become a vet. We made no assumptions: we literally went off of what you wrote in your posts. You can't blame people for reading your posts in that light when one of them talks about "getting around" algebra in order to get to chemistry and physics. Maybe it was an interpretation mistake; it happens. But if multiple people read it that way... more than likely, there was an issue in how you said it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Pre-Vetstudent1 I'm curious as to what you're trying to gain from arguing with us.

You want to be a martyr and for all of us to pity you? Yeah, sure. Your life sucks. I'd hate to take algebra 3 times and to only retain 7% of what you hear.

But you have 3+ doctors, a few vet students, a med student, and a couple of pre-vet students (who have already taken algebra and most of us have our own disabilities) who are ALL telling you to figure it out and figure out how to learn. So get off the internet, stop feeling sorry for yourself and telling yourself that it's impossible for you to learn. NC State got over 1200 applicants this year, do you think that they're going to be understanding that some people just won't have a required pre-requisite? No. They'll discard the application and move on to the next one.

I'm not even sure anymore it feels like a moot point maybe I should just kill myself now then?
 
I'm 50% deaf and as a consequence I'm a hugely visual learner. I need to see things written out to remember them. I constantly mishear things (with or without realizing it) and then learn and remember my incorrect hearing, have trouble hearing and understanding anyone with an accent, lectures in large halls, background noise, when I can't see the speaker's mouth when they talk, etc. It's not the same struggle that you have but it sounds maybe somewhat similar.

Hey supershorty, I have tried to work with the DSPS but they aren't really responding in a way that means I will finish my transfer program.
I'm not sure how to get the result that I'm looking to reach for.

Have you asked about captioning services? I waited a really long time to go to my school's disability offices because I kept telling myself that I didn't really have a disability, that other people have it worse and the school wouldn't work with me, whatever. I just struggled by myself. When I had a professor with a really strong German accent last year (coupled by a terrible lecture hall with awful acoustics), I finally asked for help, and I was set up with a lecture captioning program. Two students came to my class and typed everything my instructor said, and then I could read their captioning on my own computer screen. There was a short delay (of course, because they could only type so fast) but it was so unbelievably helpful. Something like that might help you if listening to instructors is difficult - that way you'd have visual learning to help supplement the auditory.


I'm also curious about what area of vet med you're interested in. If you have trouble retaining auditory information, how will you do in an exam as the owner relays their pet's history to you? Or talking to client on the phone, etc? Have you spent much time shadowing a veterinarian to see what the challenges of the job are like?
 
This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and the concerns expressed, the moderation staff of SDN will close this thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.