Disciplinary Charge for Sexual Assault

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In general I think people have done a good job of keeping this thread on topic and civil and we don't see a reason to close it at this time, but as we have received some reports from this thread this is a reminder to keep the thread on topic to the OP and their context and keep broader discussions to PMs or other boards.
 
Alright everyone strap in.

I believe the last I left off is when I was initially found guilty of the charge and I was currently ready to appeal. After talking to many attorneys and explaining the case (and after their initial reaction of "really? this entire thing sounds dumb as ****") it came down to are they really going to reverse such a "light" punishment. I ended up with two choices, spending over 10k on a huge attorney or sticking with my initial attorney. Due to the fact many attorneys said it wasn't going to be worth the effort, and the financial situation of my family, we decided to stick with my OG attorney. They put together a letter pointing out the many inconsistencies such as; timestamped photographs indicating I was on the other side of the room, emphasizing three separate witnesses testimonies, including one of the complainant's witnesses, testifying I was on the other side of the room, contradictory evidence provided by the only witness who saw me near the complainant, with over 13 witnesses not a single person can confirm they saw me commit the alleged act and finally the fact after the police were notified and investigated the case, they immediately closed the investigation.

Of course given this University, my appeal was denied and I was stuck with telling my medical school. At this point I was devastated. My brain kept telling me that the appeal would come through and something like this really couldn't happen. I was in disbelief.

During this time I was actually notified I was given a scholarship that I didn't even celebrate. If anything it made everything so much more sour.

While I was starting to get my letter to my medical school organized, I still needed to make sure I graduated on time. According to the charge letter I had to attend a private counselor that addresses sexual assault which I scheduled 3-4 times a week while finals were underway so I had no delays in my graduation. This ended up really helping me because as I explained the entire situation to the counselor she actually wrote me a letter with her confidence in my character at the end of the ten sessions, I also scheduled meetings with my boss of many years, the physician I shadowed under, a peer leader I worked very close with for my college career and my attorney. I gathered a letter from each one, with their support and confidence in my character. I had the attorney explain the entire case in addition.

After graduating, all of my attention was on crafting a letter that could convince my medical school. At this point some more good news, I was accepted from another medical school in which I had 2 weeks to accept. So now I had 2 chances to plead my case, assuming they would meet before the 2 week expiration date. I organized my letters of confidence, 6 in total, and my initial statement. I sent it to both medical schools. My original medical school ( I will designate this with MED1) replied immediately saying they will present this new information to the committee and they will decide their action. The medical school that accepted me rather late ( I will designate this with MED2) sent me a automatic response saying they will respond within 48 hours.

**Please note I regularly checked with my attorney to approve what I was sending.**
Day 1: MED1 requested a copy of my appeal denial. I send copy ASAP
Day 2: MED1 requests permission to speak to my University regarding the manner. I give permission
Day 3-7 Silence from both MED1 and MED2.
Day 8: MED1 calls me explaining they called/met with the University. University said I wasn't going to graduate on time. I laugh and explain that they literally put in writing I will graduate on time and provide proof. (Hell yeah they see how ridiculous and negligent University is). They say the committee will meet day 14, they will contact me with the decision before the end of day 15. Keep in mind this is the deadline for me to respond to MED2
Day 13: I get about 2-4 minutes of sleep
Day 14: Still no response from MED2. MED1 meets, I know from previous meetings they meet around 12. 5 o'clock hits and I haven't heard anything. Anxiety through the roof. Thinking no news is good news. I receive 2 emails that day about white coat fitting and immunizations (surely they wouldn't send me these if they are kicking me out, and keep in mind I haven't received an email from then in about a month). I have confidence in MED1 and my offer from MED2 expires.
Day 15: Slightly more sleep, but still no word from MED1. I shoot an email at 4 asking if I should assume no news is good news. I get an email at 4:30. My heart jumps. I just want the answer already. I'm like 4 months in after the start of this and I don't know if I can deal with waiting on my entire future any longer. It's an email about my award letter. 6 o'clock rolls around I know I am not hearing anything until the end of the HOLIDAY weekend.
Day 18: I receive an email from MED2 explaining my offer has expired. I never received a response to my update letter. Complete silence from MED1. *sweaty palms* no news is good news right?
Day 19: MED1 still silence. at this point whatever confidence I had is down the drain. I'm convinced they are consulting an attorney to craft a letter of my denial. My moral through the entire 4 months is at an all time low.
Day 19: 4:24 PM. A call from MED1. The committee has met and concluded no further action is needed. My scholarship stands. For the first time in 4 months, I can say I am going to medical school and actually believe myself. I call everyone I have explained the situation to. I'm on top of the world.

Present day. As I write this, I realize how insane this entire thing really was and how grateful I am. My support system has been amazing, especially my girlfriend, family and those individuals I asked to write letters for me. I am extremely excited to start in the fall. I am going in with more drive and determination then I ever would have had previously. I never realized how much I wanted to be a doctor until I recieved that call. I am currently monitoring a federal case that is already present against the University that claims biased, lack of due processes and a guilty until proven innocent stand in addition to corruption and possible kickbacks. If that case goes through, I have a very similar case that I plan on taking to court. In regards to suing the girl, the attorney said we don't have much grounds unless we can prove she did it on purpose and it wasn't a case of mistaken identity which is near impossible.

I'll do my best responding to any questions. If you have any questions that are more personal I ask for a PM instead.

PS: To anyone claiming I am lying, making things up, leaving things out. This is the only time I am going to waste my figurative breath. I didn't come here for you to believe me, I came here for advice on my situation. I don't mind the discussions about today's culture but my intentions were not to start a political uproar. You can say all you want that this couldn't happen, there had to be something else etc etc etc. And to be honest, I would have had a hard time believing something like this could happen, until it did.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright everyone strap in.

Day 19: 4:24 PM. A call from MED1. The committee has met and concluded no further action is needed. My scholarship stands. For the first time in 4 months, I can say I am going to medical school and actually believe myself. I call everyone I have explained the situation to. I'm on top of the world.
👍👍👍😍😍😍:luck::luck::luck::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive::highfive::highfive::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::bow::bow::bow::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::woot::woot::woot::claps::claps::claps::biglove::biglove::biglove::banana::banana::banana::hello:
 
Hell yeah OP, very glad and very proud of you sticking it out, doing the right thing even with so much against you. You could have left tail between your legs and try to avoid embarrassment etc. But you kept fighting. Id be proud to have you as my doc some day, or glad to have you in the foxhole next to me.




Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
i wonder if the OP has grounds for slander against her at this point.
No. Until there are proven damages for provable loss of $$$, there is no lawsuit because and only because, no lawyer will take the case.

Even IF there are provable, financial damages, they have to be substantial enough for a lawyer to pursue under personal injury laws which typically mean the lawyer gets 1/3. The simple math for the lawyer says that if his/her time at $$$ rate * ### hours to get result = $$$$$, then maybe but typically, the first is hard to prove.

Also, for a slander/defamation suit to go forward:

1. intent, not simply a mistake or slip up
2. period of time that slander/defamation remained in the public eye damaging victim
3. financial implications

Many lawsuits for slander get hung up on #1 because the perpetrator can just say, "Oops, I never meant to..." stated several times, it makes it a he/she said.

Slander, defamation lawsuits are beyond difficult to sue for, especially, with no provable loss of $$$$.

That individual may not get into med school, is not a financial loss. Nor is the potential future income from being a physician considered a loss.

Facebook was sued for a defamatory, slanderous post that went over 125+ pages long WITH the full account number (routing and account) disclosed and those posts were entirely lies. The damages included financial, emotional, and many other things (loss of reputation, threats from people claiming to be FBI, cars keyed, windows busted, etc) and yet, in the courts, they see these things as inconveniences.
 
Wow, what a ride. Thank God it ended up working out for you, OP. Your university sucks. If I were you, I would warn people away from going there just for that reason. If you just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, and someone spitefully accuses you of something you didn't do, they will just throw you under the bus despite all the evidence.

Congrats on your victory, and good luck in med school!
 
Alright everyone strap in.

I believe the last I left off is when I was initially found guilty of the charge and I was currently ready to appeal. After talking to many attorneys and explaining the case (and after their initial reaction of "really? this entire thing sounds dumb as ****") it came down to are they really going to reverse such a "light" punishment. I ended up with two choices, spending over 10k on a huge attorney or sticking with my initial attorney. Due to the fact many attorneys said it wasn't going to be worth the effort, and the financial situation of my family, we decided to stick with my OG attorney. They put together a letter pointing out the many inconsistencies such as; timestamped photographs indicating I was on the other side of the room, emphasizing three separate witnesses testimonies, including one of the complainant's witnesses, testifying I was on the other side of the room, contradictory evidence provided by the only witness who saw me near the complainant, with over 13 witnesses not a single person can confirm they saw me commit the alleged act and finally the fact after the police were notified and investigated the case, they immediately closed the investigation.

Of course given this University, my appeal was denied and I was stuck with telling my medical school. At this point I was devastated. My brain kept telling me that the appeal would come through and something like this really couldn't happen. I was in disbelief.

During this time I was actually notified I was given a scholarship that I didn't even celebrate. If anything it made everything so much more sour.

While I was starting to get my letter to my medical school organized, I still needed to make sure I graduated on time. According to the charge letter I had to attend a private counselor that addresses sexual assault which I scheduled 3-4 times a week while finals were underway so I had no delays in my graduation. This ended up really helping me because as I explained the entire situation to the counselor she actually wrote me a letter with her confidence in my character at the end of the ten sessions, I also scheduled meetings with my boss of many years, the physician I shadowed under, a peer leader I worked very close with for my college career and my attorney. I gathered a letter from each one, with their support and confidence in my character. I had the attorney explain the entire case in addition.

After graduating, all of my attention was on crafting a letter that could convince my medical school. At this point some more good news, I was accepted from another medical school in which I had 2 weeks to accept. So now I had 2 chances to plead my case, assuming they would meet before the 2 week expiration date. I organized my letters of confidence, 6 in total, and my initial statement. I sent it to both medical schools. My original medical school ( I will designate this with MED1) replied immediately saying they will present this new information to the committee and they will decide their action. The medical school that accepted me rather late ( I will designate this with MED2) sent me a automatic response saying they will respond within 48 hours.

**Please note I regularly checked with my attorney to approve what I was sending.**
Day 1: MED1 requested a copy of my appeal denial. I send copy ASAP
Day 2: MED1 requests permission to speak to my University regarding the manner. I give permission
Day 3-7 Silence from both MED1 and MED2.
Day 8: MED1 calls me explaining they called/met with the University. University said I wasn't going to graduate on time. I laugh and explain that they literally put in writing I will graduate on time and provide proof. (Hell yeah they see how ridiculous and negligent University is). They say the committee will meet day 14, they will contact me with the decision before the end of day 15. Keep in mind this is the deadline for me to respond to MED2
Day 13: I get about 2-4 minutes of sleep
Day 14: Still no response from MED2. MED1 meets, I know from previous meetings they meet around 12. 5 o'clock hits and I haven't heard anything. Anxiety through the roof. Thinking no news is good news. I receive 2 emails that day about white coat fitting and immunizations (surely they wouldn't send me these if they are kicking me out, and keep in mind I haven't received an email from then in about a month). I have confidence in MED1 and my offer from MED2 expires.
Day 15: Slightly more sleep, but still no word from MED1. I shoot an email at 4 asking if I should assume no news is good news. I get an email at 4:30. My heart jumps. I just want the answer already. I'm like 4 months in after the start of this and I don't know if I can deal with waiting on my entire future any longer. It's an email about my award letter. 6 o'clock rolls around I know I am not hearing anything until the end of the HOLIDAY weekend.
Day 18: I receive an email from MED2 explaining my offer has expired. I never received a response to my update letter. Complete silence from MED1. *sweaty palms* no news is good news right?
Day 19: MED1 still silence. at this point whatever confidence I had is down the drain. I'm convinced they are consulting an attorney to craft a letter of my denial. My moral through the entire 4 months is at an all time low.
Day 19: 4:24 PM. A call from MED1. The committee has met and concluded no further action is needed. My scholarship stands. For the first time in 4 months, I can say I am going to medical school and actually believe myself. I call everyone I have explained the situation to. I'm on top of the world.

Present day. As I write this, I realize how insane this entire thing really was and how grateful I am. My support system has been amazing, especially my girlfriend, family and those individuals I asked to write letters for me. I am extremely excited to start in the fall. I am going in with more drive and determination then I ever would have had previously. I never realized how much I wanted to be a doctor until I recieved that call. I am currently monitoring a federal case that is already present against the University that claims biased, lack of due processes and a guilty until proven innocent stand in addition to corruption and possible kickbacks. If that case goes through, I have a very similar case that I plan on taking to court. In regards to suing the girl, the attorney said we don't have much grounds unless we can prove she did it on purpose and it wasn't a case of mistaken identity which is near impossible.

I'll do my best responding to any questions. If you have any questions that are more personal I ask for a PM instead.

PS: To anyone claiming I am lying, making things up, leaving things out. This is the only time I am going to waste my figurative breath. I didn't come here for you to believe me, I came here for advice on my situation. I don't mind the discussions about today's culture but my intentions were not to start a political uproar. You can say all you want that this couldn't happen, there had to be something else etc etc etc. And to be honest, I would have had a hard time believing something like this could happen, until it did.
You are my hero, to have the strength come out of what I know is a extremely emotional battle takes real guts. I wish you the absolute best of luck, and I have ZERO doubts that you will successful in medical school and beyond. Congrats again.
 
I appreciate everyone's kind words. SDN has proved to be really helpful in more than one way. There are also certain people who helped me through PM that I cannot thank enough(you know who you are) It is this kind of community that makes SDN so invaulable. And a major reason I want to give back through my experiences.

Unfortunately I don't feel 100% comfortable continuing on this account as I would like to proceed asking and giving advice anonymously. And I don't want to slowly leak details that could give away anonymity(in addition this isn't what I want my account to be known for). I will continue to respond to this topic and PM but not as frequently as possible on this account.

Best of luck to everyone and thank you again.

-GonnabeMD20
 
I'm happy things worked out for you @WannaBeMD20 - truly. Sounds like the medical school did more due diligence than your undergrad and concluded there really wasn't much in the way of evidence.

Your choice to 'start fresh' on SND is a wise and pragmatic one. I wish you the best --
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh lord....Just as an FYI to everyone who keeps quoting a false statistic… The 25 to 30% of college students being sexually assaulted has been proven false, many times. 25 to 30% sexual assault is literally a higher rate than in Third World countries, where rape is used as a weapon of war. I hope people seriously reconsider sending their daughters to college if that were the case. That 30% statistic was based on a single survey study of 100 college students (lacking statistical power, lacking proper sample size, lacking any attempt to address selection bias), where sexual assault was defined as anything from an “unwanted verbal come-on” to rape. Real college sexual assault statistics place the number at 3% or less. The “1/3 of women” is emotionally charged and does not match the actual studies. On the other hand, the title IX kangaroo courts are quite real and can absolutely destroy lives without any kind of recourse for the accused because they are convicted in the court of public opinion. Look at the young man who killed himself after an accusation, or the ridiculous case of “mattress girl” from Columbia, who is still seen as a victim despite being shown to be a liar, or a myriad other stories. Sexual assault is a serious matter, and a matter for the police, not college administrators looking to punish someone to cover their ass in this society. I say this as a survivor of longstanding sexual abuse. What is happening on college campuses is absolutely ridiculous, and needs to stop.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Would you be so kind as to link this study? If you remember the title, I could find it too I suppose. Thanks
 
People that make false claims like that should have lose *everything they have* in a libel suit against them. Glad to hear this worked out OP
 
Universities should not have this type of power to supersede justice and the law of the land.

I'm glad things worked out for you OP.