Dismissed from DO school..what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inquiry101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

maybe someone could be kind enough to help me out with my situation. I was just dismissed from a DO school due to poor grades. I was diagnosed with having a severe depression earlier this month and brought it to the attention of the school, however, it was not enough for them to keep me enrolled to repeat the year.

I have a inclination that my depression may been with me for a long time in the past however, it was not as severe as it was in medical school. My concentration declined drastically and was the major wake up call for me to get help. No matter how much I studied, I could not pass my exams.

I don't know what to do right now. If I want to do medicine, ill have to take the mcat again and reapply again. To be honest, i want to give up and change professions right now. I was thinking of doing something in business or maybe a masters in healthcare administration/public health. Any help would be much appreciated. Lord knows I could use it

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

maybe someone could be kind enough to help me out with my situation. I was just dismissed from a DO school due to poor grades. I was diagnosed with having a severe depression earlier this month and brought it to the attention of the school, however, it was not enough for them to keep me enrolled to repeat the year.

I have a inclination that my depression may been with me for a long time in the past however, it was not as severe as it was in medical school. My concentration declined drastically and was the major wake up call for me to get help. No matter how much I studied, I could not pass my exams.

I don't know what to do right now. If I want to do medicine, ill have to take the mcat again and reapply again. To be honest, i want to give up and change professions right now. I was thinking of doing something in business or maybe a masters in healthcare administration/public health. Any help would be much appreciated. Lord knows I could use it

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation :( Before you even think about retaking the MCAT and reapplying, I think you should get the help that you need in order to deal with your depression. I would think that going through the admission process again will increase your stress and if you don't get the help you need in order to deal with that stress, then it won't end well for you.

If I were you, I would take time off and find a decent low-stress paying job that can give you a steady income to provide for yourself, during this time you can seek out the help you need to deal with your depression in counseling before you delve into reapplying. This will also give you time to decide if you still want to pursue medicine.

If you do choose to reapply, your situation will raise eyebrows and in order to be accepted again, you NEED to be able to show you are mentally healthy.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear this. I've teetered on the edge of depression before, and I'm generally a melancholy kind of chap anyway. I always found it easy to despair about my life, or the world, or the future of both. Like ached-to-exist kind of despair. Remember that the dark thoughts engulfing you are real and that they matter, but also that their mattering in reality suggests a coherence to the world that you might not see at the moment. Getting booted from med school isn't the worst thing. Losing your sanity is, tho, so bide your time in the dark until you understand it.

Godspeed! You're gonna be alright!

Status
Not open for further replies.