Dismissed. How should I go about applying to other podiatry schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stu2019

Reaction score
Hi,

I was recently dismissed after failing my Spring semester. I explained to my appeals committee that I struggled this past semester due to a sexual assault. I also included supporting documents from my physician and told them I have been in counseling for the previous four months and that my experience won't affect my future academic progress. My appeal was ultimately denied. I feel that I am ready to return to school, and I just want to continue my education. My experience from this semester won't impede my performance in future semesters. How should I go about applying to other podiatry schools?

Will other podiatry schools require my spring transcript?
Will they allow me to explain the circumstances that attributed to my poor performance?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry that happened to you.

Contact programs and directly inquire about reapplying.

Programs should have no problem allowing you to explain your case. Credits may not transfer.

Again, find someone at the programs you are interested in and talk to them directly.

Reactions: 1 users
I just called Barry. They dismissed my inquiry about reapplying and wouldn't allow me to explain my case. This year has been unfortunate and all I wish to do is to return to school. What makes things worse is that I was offered interviews at every podiatry school last year and now schools won't even consider my undergraduate performance, EC's, or LOR simply because I was unable to perform well this semester.

Edit: Temple and NYCPM were kind enough to consider my application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just called Barry. They dismissed my inquiry about reapplying and wouldn't allow me to explain my case. This year has been unfortunate and all I wish to do is to return to school. What makes things worse is that I was offered interviews at every podiatry school last year and now schools won't even consider my undergraduate performance, EC's, or LOR simply because I was unable to perform well this semester.

I understand you are very frustrated with the situation, but can you understand why they would do so?

Student with proven track record of not being able to academically perform during professional school.

Undergraduate records and ECs are not relatable.

I understand you are very frustrated with the situation, but can you understand why they would do so?

Student with proven track record of not being able to academically perform during professional school.

I want to show them I am capable of handling the academic rigor but even if I were to do a post-bacc, members of my appeals committee told me my chances of being readmitted at their institution was "slim."

You'll probably be able to make it back into podiatry school despite this setback—though most likely not at the same institution. Some podiatry schools struggle to fill their seats, and in my opinion, your story sounds compelling enough to inspire at least one of them to give you another shot.

The most important thing for you to do now, though, is to focus on your mental health and emotional well-being, even if that means taking a gap year. That way, you can ensure that you're ready to fully take advantage of a new opportunity if one is offered to you. Best of luck!

You should have no problem reapplying and getting an interview with a different program. Target larger programs and be open to relocating.

Best of luck, keep us updated.

You have no idea what you are talking about. OP was sexually assaulted. OP should get a lawyer and file a lawsuit. Under these circumstances the OP deserves another chance. She will need a lawyer to make this happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

I was recently dismissed after failing my Spring semester. I explained to my appeals committee that I struggled this past semester due to a sexual assault. I also included supporting documents from my physician and told them I have been in counseling for the previous four months and that my experience won't affect my future academic progress. My appeal was ultimately denied. I feel that I am ready to return to school, and I just want to continue my education. My experience from this semester won't impede my performance in future semesters. How should I go about applying to other podiatry schools?

Will other podiatry schools require my spring transcript?
Will they allow me to explain the circumstances that attributed to my poor performance?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Hard to believe that school would not consider your circumstances if you provided documentation. All you said was that you provided physician documentation. Was there a police report? Did you provide documentation for counseling you were going through or you just told them that you are going through it. Was there anything that could make committee not take the situation seriously? Just hard to believe that school would just dismiss a person based on experience the had to go through. Why didn't you take a leave after you realized you are not doing well? Why wait the whole semester and only at the end tell them about why you failed? I just think there is more to the story.

I included documentation from the physician who treated me along with things such as course of treatment and referral to the rape crisis center. I didn’t not file a police report back then because I was ashame and afraid of how I would be treated. In my appeal, I did mention I had been to counseling for four months. I asked the Director of Academic Services & Institutional Research, who was in charge of organizing the appeals meeting whether I should prepare more than just documentation from my physician and he told me that was enough.

I met with my dean and director of academic resources earlier in the semester where I told them I had been assaulted; I thought they would have brought my case to the title IX coordinator or referred me to the school’s counselor but they did not. Part of the reason why I did not take a leave of absence was because I was not clear about how the process worked or how much detail I would have to tell the school about my assault. I was afraid to leave school, I did not want to fly home and hurt my parents by telling them I had been asssaulted.

OP I have no advice to add really, just wanted to say I'm sorry this happened to you, its a dark world, and agree maybe lawyer up. They took your money and sounds like didn't handle the situation with your best interest at hand. With this more 'woke' society we live in, businesses don't want to be caught being exposed handling these kind of issues wrong. Maybe just the threat of exposure or a lawyer will put the fear of the court of public opinion in the hearts of higher ups. Good luck.

I included documentation from the physician who treated me along with things such as course of treatment and referral to the rape crisis center. I didn’t not file a police report back then because I was ashame and afraid of how I would be treated. In my appeal, I did mention I had been to counseling for four months. I asked the Director of Academic Services & Institutional Research, who was in charge of organizing the appeals meeting whether I should prepare more than just documentation from my physician and he told me that was enough.

I met with my dean and director of academic resources earlier in the semester where I told them I had been assaulted; I thought they would have brought my case to the title IX coordinator or referred me to the school’s counselor but they did not. Part of the reason why I did not take a leave of absence was because I was not clear about how the process worked or how much detail I would have to tell the school about my assault. I was afraid to leave school, I did not want to fly home and hurt my parents by telling them I had been asssaulted.

GET A LAWYER NOW. Stop looking for recs on student doctor network. Do something. Get a lawyer involved.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure what the OP should do.

Last edited:
The only downside I could see in getting a lawyer and causing some uproar, is that if other schools you were thinking of applying to catch wind that you're willing to hire lawyers if something goes south, they may not want to accept you into their program. I'm just speculating though.

OP is already in trouble. Getting academically dismissed from one school looks pretty bad. That in itself may lessen the OP chances of getting accepted. Listen a professional school can’t do this if all of this is true. Time to talk to a lawyer.

Reactions: 3 users

this. Why would a school wanna take a risk on a candidate that failed out of first year reguardless of the reason? the best indicator of future success is past performance.

OP have you considered nursing or a less intense program?

You have no idea what you are talking about. OP was sexually assaulted. OP should get a lawyer and file a lawsuit. Under these circumstances the OP deserves another chance. She will need a lawyer to make this happen.

I feel like there are three sides to every story. OP's story, the schools story and the truth. A pharmacy student I went to school with had someone break into her apartment and rape her for hours. The guy was caught and is doing more than 30 years of state prison time. She failed her classes that semester and the school had no problem letting her repeat the year. Maybe OP failed to report the sexual assault to police and therefore the school is having trouble validating her claims? Something about OP's story isn't adding up for me. I wish you the best of luck OP and good luck applying to other schools.

The only downside I could see in getting a lawyer and causing some uproar, is that if other schools you were thinking of applying to catch wind that you're willing to hire lawyers if something goes south, they may not want to accept you into their program. I'm just speculating though.
this 100x the lawyer path is high risk. if it fails trust me deans talk and OP will never be allowed in a pod school again if she is a legal liability :/

All of this is crazy talk. If you think you were discriminated against then get a lawyer. If not, then apply to another program. These are not programs that are rejecting people left and right, they need butts in seats to continue to get funding. It's a business, not an exclusive club.

Get a lawyer because..... you know, they provide their services for free, right?

This was cruel to read. I hope things work out & you get back into school, OP.

Were you on academic probation from any previous semesters?