Diversity help please :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ServiceFirst

MS1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For responding to diversity prompts, I discuss my academic background in studying public health, and how I believe what I've learned will contribute both my abilities as a future clinician and diversity of the student body.

To reinforce my discussion, I provide specific examples of how I believe public health has shaped my motivation to pursue service opportunities and a career in medicine.

Would this be an "adequate" way of contributing to the diversity of incoming student bodies? Or are adcoms looking for some more personal-based and less academic (my ethnicity/upbrining as a child of immigrants, growing up in a culturally-diverse community)?

Thank you so much for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

The beauty of public health is that an overwhelmingly large portion of the discipline relies upon the ability to work in teams, to set aside differences you have with others, and to serve vulnerable communities/populations.
I am also a public health major and I've been using it for a lot of diversity essays unless there was a specific question earlier on that made me talk about public health. At that point, I talked about the ethnicity/upbringing and stuff like that.
But yes public health is an emerging field and it makes perfect sense to discuss how its shaped your motivation.

The beauty of public health is that an overwhelmingly large portion of the discipline relies upon the ability to work in teams, to set aside differences you have with others, and to serve vulnerable communities/populations.
I am also a public health major and I've been using it for a lot of diversity essays unless there was a specific question earlier on that made me talk about public health. At that point, I talked about the ethnicity/upbringing and stuff like that.
But yes public health is an emerging field and it makes perfect sense to discuss how its shaped your motivation.

Thanks for your perspective! I'm actually a public health minor, but nevertheless incorporating public health into my undergraduate studies because of its increasing emphasis in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a diversity question, not a "why medicine" question. Stick to the prompt brew

Reactions: 1 users
For responding to diversity prompts, I discuss my academic background in studying public health, and how I believe what I've learned will contribute both my abilities as a future clinician and diversity of the student body.

To reinforce my discussion, I provide specific examples of how I believe public health has shaped my motivation to pursue service opportunities and a career in medicine.

Would this be an "adequate" way of contributing to the diversity of incoming student bodies? Or are adcoms looking for some more personal-based and less academic (my ethnicity/upbrining as a child of immigrants, growing up in a culturally-diverse community)?

Sounds good to me. However, know your audience. Deliver your message according to your audience.

The message might be well suited for one type of medical school but it might not impress another, e.g. a major state university medical school situated in a large metropolitan area vs a privately funded (all white maybe?) medical school in the mountains or plains of such and such state.

It's a diversity question, not a "why medicine" question. Stick to the prompt brew

We said nothing about why medicine, we're only validating the point that we're involved in public health. If you can really get across how that trait makes YOU different than others, it will show them that you have something unique to offer to the university. They're asking "how will you contribute to our student community."
Of course, if the school has nothing anywhere on their website about public health or doesn't even have a public health school, maybe pick something else. But, all the top tiers definitely look at public health with favor. And you should still be safe even in the top 50.

I think that you can do better. The prompt, contrary to pre-med delusion, is NOT about ethnicity nor academics. It's about what makes you cool. What do you have to offer to the Class>

Reactions: 1 user