Diversity Prompt... Shame of being _____

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to write my secondaries. For the diversity prompt about how I will contribute to the diversity and inclusion of this school, I'm writing about my experiences with growing up as an immigrant. I talk about being ashamed of my background, but grew up to love it and use it to help others. Is addressing shame considered "negative" and not good for secondary prompts?

I talk about how being an immigrant from Portugal made me create a club promoting latinx cultures in the school to make others aware of our culture and struggles, and how I hope to continue educating and teaching others about my culture and learning other's culture.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be very careful identifying with Latinx culture. While technically speaking, heritage in the Iberian peninsula is in the definition, most interpretations for diversity's sake lump Portugal (and Spain) in with the rest of Europe and consider the former colonies of Portugal and Spain as "latinx".

That said, you can just write that your experience as an immigrant from Portugal will bring diversity to the medical school class (I highly doubt that more than 1 in 10 will be immigrants from Portugal and you will be the only one in any randomly formed small group discussion. Heck, you are likely to be the only one in the entire class.) No need to get into anything about shame, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Seconding what Lizzy said regarding identifying as Latinx. Being Latinx means being from Latin America, so that wouldn't include people from Spain or Portugal. Regardless, being an immigrant from Portugal is enough to bring diversity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to write my secondaries. For the diversity prompt about how I will contribute to the diversity and inclusion of this school, I'm writing about my experiences with growing up as an immigrant. I talk about being ashamed of my background, but grew up to love it and use it to help others. Is addressing shame considered "negative" and not good for secondary prompts?

I talk about how being an immigrant from Portugal made me create a club promoting latinx cultures in the school to make others aware of our culture and struggles, and how I hope to continue educating and teaching others about my culture and learning other's culture.
The immigrant experience is always good.

Reactions: 1 user
@LizzyM thank you. But would it be ok to also bring in the shame part? It played a big role in who I am today.

I'll prolly not bring in the latinx part then. thanks