Diversity Question???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! I'm currently preparing for post-bacc and not sure what to write for the diversity question.
Now, I can think of two options.
1. Typical immigrant story
grew in single-culture Asian country -> moved to a rural city in America, experienced ignorant sentiments, practiced my English skill to regain my ability to express myself -> began to view an individual as a separate entity with unique beliefs, cultures etc (how I wanted to be viewed by others)

2. Teaching experience
volunteered as a math teacher in one Korean church -> organized a small group of Korean-immigrant students and translated materials in Korean -> some of my students talked to me about their difficulties, some of which were the ones I had been through
-> you know after this

While they are certainly valuable experiences, I'm worried if they are too common for the applicants.

What do you guys think? is it too common?

Members don't see this ad.

There is nothing new under the sun. Very few experiences are truly unique. It is all about how you choose to express yourself and what aspects of the experience you highlight. I would go with the approach that resonates with you.

Reactions: 1 user
I think your activities are really unique. I really like how you started tutoring through your church- you helped your community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds to me like both options would fit really well together. First one talks about how you've grown, and the second addresses how you use your experiences to help others. Why can't you write about both?

Hello guys! I'm currently preparing for post-bacc and not sure what to write for the diversity question.
Now, I can think of two options.
1. Typical immigrant story
grew in single-culture Asian country -> moved to a rural city in America, experienced ignorant sentiments, practiced my English skill to regain my ability to express myself -> began to view an individual as a separate entity with unique beliefs, cultures etc (how I wanted to be viewed by others)

2. Teaching experience
volunteered as a math teacher in one Korean church -> organized a small group of Korean-immigrant students and translated materials in Korean -> some of my students talked to me about their difficulties, some of which were the ones I had been through
-> you know after this

While they are certainly valuable experiences, I'm worried if they are too common for the applicants.

What do you guys think? is it too common?
The immigrant experience is always useful
The teaching experience doesn't do anything for me.

Reactions: 1 users
There is nothing new under the sun. Very few experiences are truly unique. It is all about how you choose to express yourself and what aspects of the experience you highlight. I would go with the approach that resonates with you.

True. I guess it depends on how I reflect on my experiences. Thank you!

I think your activities are really unique. I really like how you started tutoring through your church- you helped your community.

I didn't know how much I would love teaching others until that experience :) Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
The immigrant experience is always useful
The teaching experience doesn't do anything for me.

Thank you Goro. Just one more question. Is it fine to mention little about that "ignorant sentiments"? I won't write about the details, but I'm worried if mentioning it seems to victimize me.