DIY MBA/MHA Resources and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msoueid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon all from San Diego,

Since graduating from UG last year with a dual degree in Cell Biology and Neuroscience, I have had my mind set on obtaining and MBA/MHA and pursuing the business end of medicine (ie. operations.. ultimately CEO).

First a little background:

I have worked in a hospital (4 years) and outpatient facilities (1 year orthopedic) as a scribe and now regional manager overseeing operations of 20+ facilities and their transcription services (as well as teaching med school caliber courses). With that being said, it became apparent to me that I did not want to attend medical school but rather handle the backend work for the facilities in order to improve patient care, efficiency and policy. Furthermore, I do have extensive managerial and entrepreneurial experience of my own so I am well aware of the hurdles involved in any business (afterall healthcare is a business.. interpret that as you wish).

So with all that being said, I have been scouring the internet for free resources ( UMich MHSA/JHU MHA/Harvard Business courses) and found some but I was hoping to see if anyone has been able to put together a curriculum to follow (preferably links to specific courses and their associated readings). Now before I get bashed, I understand this will never substitute for a "formal" degree but I will tell you this, I have a passion for learning and absorbing as much as I can (I taught myself to code a few years back and used this to start a small business). With the advent of the internet it is conceivable to attain the exact same knowledge, if not better, online using the same curriculum held at the best of schools. In fact, I have seen that I learn better and hold myself more accountable when I do so on my own.

So.. has anyone tried this? Have you had success finding these resources? (If so, which? :).. a lot of schools make them private forcing you to enroll ... :( ) Any additional input is always welcome!

Best,

Members don't see this ad.

without the letters behind your name, you won't get the jobs that want the letters.....no one will care about your knowledge without the degree

without the letters behind your name, you won't get the jobs that want the letters.....no one will care about your knowledge without the degree
Sb247, I am well aware of that unfortunate formality but I was looking to bolster my skill-set with some resources. Thank you for your input.

But on a side note, that formality is completely ludicrous and severely outdated. Formal schooling has become trivial. I understand that the letters signify completion from an accredited facility but lets be honest, with the right amount of money ANYONE can get into a postgraduate program .. even if they have no innate desire or passion for the sector. Some of us are not as fortunate. I do, however, have a skill-set that far surpasses my competition and that comes in the form of my sickening work ethic, constant self assessment and passion to continue to learn even when there isn't some tenured professor chaperoning me.

Sorry just had to vent. I do ultimately plan on attending a MBA/MHA only because, as you pointed out, they will not care otherwise

Members don't see this ad :)
why are posts getting changed?? I didnt word my post like this at all