DMU - '05 (part 2) = all DMU topics here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
macman.... next time we meet we need to talk about OPAC... I got the info but wanted to talk to you about it more so... Thanx as always.... :D... btw, you are tall!!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Katie1822:
•I think I have nearly met you JP. I think you and your wife were about to get on the same hayride as my friends and myself but there wasn't any room left. It didn't dawn on me till we were off and on our way. Is it just me or do hay rides normally have hay? The driver type guy let my friend drive the thing though.•

I guess so.... we did nearly meet.... I wondered about that hay ride myself... No hay.... so it must be just a "ride" ;)....

Guess who got back online today!!! Moo ha ha ha!

Great meeting you all. If you don't already know who I am, you must not have gone to orientation!

Members don't see this ad :)
KidT is back on line!!! Watch out!!! :eek:

Thank you popoy - she did find me.

Originally posted by Izlamic M:
•Thank you popoy - she did find me.•

You're welcome.... :D

Any first years out there living in 3000 Grand?

Originally posted by jsdmu:
•Any first years out there living in 3000 Grand?•

I'm sure there are.... I met one person so far... I believe her name was Corissa.... I'm not sure whether or not she's DPM or DO, though....

well first years... is it everything you hoped it would be? ;) :D

he he, it is like leading sheeps to the slaughter :)

whats up everyone!!

Man, what I wouldn't give to have another Intro to Osteopathic Medicine coarse right now!!! Right now it seems like we are even busier than we were first year!

Are you trying to scare us, Josh?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the second years are out to scare us.... Must be a right of passage thing?! :D ;)

So far so good.... Ask again after exams then I can really tell you how us first years are.... ;)

First years, don't believe anyone who tells you that you will have more free time second year! The content is more fun, but it sure seems like they are going to keep us very busy!

jsdmu.... Hope things are going well for you....

So any tips on first exam gitters?

Hey all! Its been nice to meet a lot of you first years. Don't sweat the IOM exam, its cake. Biochem is also pretty easy if you look at the old exams. The first month of first year is pretty relaxed, but after that it starts to get a bit hectic.

Can you give us any idea what to expect from the IOM exam? Dr. Hoff blew through about 5,000 years of medicine. A.T. Still material seems pretty easy, but I'm a little unsure about the history of medicine.

Unless things have changed, Dr. Boesler runs the exam. He also occasionally reads this board and probably knows exactly who I am, so I can't tell you anything other than - he's fair and not out to get anybody. If you've spent some time reading the book and have been awake in class, you'll do fine.

"the man" isn't out to get you on this (IOM) exam... later on they are, though. As I recall, at least 90% of the test questions on this exam were things that were stressed 4 or more times. The other 10% are obscure questions. Don't sweat it, its the easiest test you'll have all year.

Hi all.... again.... ;)

I finally met Katie.... BTW, thanks for introducing yourself. It was a pleasure. I wanted to say those words but I was on the threadmill afterall,then you were speaking to folks earlier... :D

Hawkeye, DO .... You may want to check this year's notepool or last year's notepool as it is pretty complete and should help out....

SOOOO.... Dr. Boesler, occasionally reads this thread huh?!.... Hi Dr. Boesler (If you are reading this).... I might take you up on that offer of an "open door" policy to ask your perspective on the fellowship, OMM, residency/internship OMM programs, and the like.... If you don't know me yet, I'm the one Angie pointed out in class today :)

Hey JP, sorry I didn't say more but after that kickboxing class, I needed a shower in the worst way :( I meant to say more today but it just seemed to be a rush from one class to the next. My friends sprint to the MEC to save us seats so we can avoid the nose bleed section as much as possible. It is good that they run over there, b/c I always seem to be dragging up the rear. How did you like getting singled out in class there today? ;)

A bit of a surprise and I blushed a bit, but I think Angie had me in mind because I had talked to her before plus a couple of casual hello's before class began.... I seem to be the easy target seeing I was in the edge of the row there too ;)

No problem with not saying much, I understand.... :D I also understand about finding those seats in IOM class.... I try to get there as early as possible and reserve a few seats as well....

Hope things are going well for you Katie!!! Good luck in studying this weekend and good luck on the exam.... See you Monday Morning right and early for that first exam of in medical school ;)

Have I met Katie yet?

JP - were you as red as I was during orientation?

KidT.... I don't think anyone can top what happened to you during orientation.... ;) :D

Hope things are going well for you as well in studying....

Hey Smegma Breath (KidT) what happened to you in orientation? Ok well I know JP and Jamie so now I have to meet Katie. Ok Katie show yourself. I am a 2nd yr. that is usually in the library studying until about 11 or I am in the gym. Jamie knows me. A word of caution is advised with him though :)

I'm not hiding out or anything. I think I know who Kidterrific is as long as Kidterrific = Jamie. I'm around, I'm the only Katie (Kathryn) in this year I think. :cool:

Kidterrific=Jamie.

Katie=Who?

Katie = Katie, I wasn't very imaginitive on selecting a screen name. When I see you next, I'll introduce myself. I didn't mean to be rude.

I am still getting a load of laughs out of the offensive word papers that were given to you guys as part of your orientation. I mean Conger? Come on. I cannot even say that I hate Banannas or that I would like to have one. This world is going to hell in a hand basket and quick.

I think I've pretty much everyone that normal comes to SDN maybe with the exception of a screen name "VIETCONG".... Maybe you can introduce yourself to me ;)

Good luck to everyone studyin'....

Hey guys, I don't go to DMU or anything, I just wanted to say that I think it's really great that so many of your classmates use this site and have a little community here. Good luck with first year.

Hey Kent! Sorry, I haven't been in the chat room as much now that cardio is going on. Good luck to all of us second years as well!
Go UMass... or Maryland? Me and my failing memory... nothing new.

Jsdmu,

I was wondering when you have free time to go out and have a chat.... :)

Later :cool:

Hey JP... and all others! How was biochem? Enjoy the down-time while it lasts! Jp, Catch me at Dr. Reed's lecture tomorrow if you can... I've been a VERY busy boy lately! Probably next week after our cardio test I'll have more time... maybe. Catch me in the hall or call me sometime.

I cannot wait till after the Cardio exam to go out a put a few down. Josh, how did you like it at the ECG review with ECG examples of Tri-fasicular blocks w/ a-fib/flutter w/ posterior-lateral infarct? It was like Satan himself was pulling ECG's out of his ass.

Josh,

Thanks for the small talk.... Good luck to you this Monday!!!

Give me a call when you get a chance next week to grab dinner....

I can't thank you enough for starting me on the right foot.... without your help during this transition, I'm sure I wouldn't be enjoying myself as much as I am now....

GOOD LUCK!!!

So far, I'm enjoying everything cardio... except the ECG stuff. I really thing a lot of that stuff is just to subjective to personal interpretation. I may not be enjoying it as much come Monday morning though!!! Its going to be a really fun weekend!

Hey people!

What a week! I'm so happy that I did ok on the biochmem exam! But I'm not sure how I'm going to make more room for study time on Monday (when anatomy starts).

I bought an OMM table today. I hope I'm not wasting my money.

BTW: great to see 'one of us' in the med student diaries!

What do you guys plan to do once anatomy starts? More study time? Less sleep?

I'm enjoying my weekend at home. We'll see you guys on Monday.

t-bone

PS the OMM table was awfully expensive
:(

I applied to DMU for 2002. Do you guys like it so far? How bout Des Moines? ANy comments... any thing better or worse than expected? THanks in advance :p

Everything is awesome here! You'll be hooked during the interview!

Originally posted by jimjones:
•I applied to DMU for 2002. Do you guys like it so far? How bout Des Moines? ANy comments... any thing better or worse than expected? THanks in advance :p

So far so good.... *crossing finger*....

As kidT has stated, you'll get hooked in your interview.... I've met a lot of people who choose this school after interviewing because of the friendly and academic atmosphere....

As far as a downside, the only thing that may bother a student (as it already has bothered most of us first years) is that embryology, which is a part of the anatomy course, is self taught.... Though they have changed a bit and some notes have been provided for us....

But you really can't beat the OMM department of this school.... Dr. Boessler and his merry fellows (OMM fellows) are the best when it comes to teaching OMM. We were informed that DMU students learn more techniques than any other osteopathic school....

Anyway, you'll see it for yourself during your interview ;)

Good luck to you....

Originally posted by t-bone:
•Hey people!

What a week! I'm so happy that I did ok on the biochmem exam! But I'm not sure how I'm going to make more room for study time on Monday (when anatomy starts).

I bought an OMM table today. I hope I'm not wasting my money.

BTW: great to see 'one of us' in the med student diaries!

What do you guys plan to do once anatomy starts? More study time? Less sleep?

I'm enjoying my weekend at home. We'll see you guys on Monday.

t-bone

PS the OMM table was awfully expensive
:(

Definitely.... "WHAT A WEEK!!!"....

I'm sure we'll all get by with studying more.... :)

Just make sure you learn the stuff the first time around so that you don't have to to over it three times... this is what the counselors said during our counseling meeting.... :)

I'm just plan to keep doing what I'm doing which is consisted of studying with a fellow classmate verbally.... so far it's worked.... ;) Seems like last week, I could have squeezed in a couple of hours more of studying for another class....

Anyway, I hope you didn't but an OMM table from another student... the UAAO deal can't be beat.... which reminds me I have to turn that in before Monday noon time....

For my fellow classmates who are reading this.... GOOD LUCK as always....

Sorry I wasn't able to join in with the WINE and CHEESE festivities at a fellow classmates apartment.... I have no excuse but that I overslept.... sleeping is a luxury nowadays.... Maybe next time....

Remember to study for OMM....

Later :cool:

Anyone interested? I am selling my OMM table for about $200. Is only one year old.

Many people seem to think that I am a very serious and stern person, but anyone who gets to know me knows that I love humor... especailly medical humor. Without humor, life is meaningless... or at least really boring! Here are some hilarious aphorisms that I came across:

Halitosis is beter than no breath at all.

Giving a "little" anesthesia is like being "kind of" pregnant.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Experience is something you get just after you needed it.

The poor surgeon needs good anesthesia, the good surgeon deserves it.

A patient is not always right but is never wrong (perhaps uninformed, uneducated, or ignorant, but never wrong.)

Abouleish's equation: complaining is inversely portioned to productivity.

Knowledge comes from study, wisdom comes from showing up for lifes tasks.

and my personal two favorite aphorisms:
Worry about the blood loss you hear!

You need more venous access when the surgeon is operating near a blood vessel you can name!

Laughing through life... Josh

jsdmu.... Aren't you suppose to be studyin' for your cardio? :D....

Here's a topic that's already been discuss before but I would sure like any feedback....

What's with the embryology part of Anatomy?! If this Dr. Meetz was as bad as people have already expressed, then why is he not out the door and replaced by a better, more enthusiastic professor of embryology?

I don't mean to be mean or anything, but seriously.... Why not replace the professor that's teaching embryology? Microbiology is now being taught by Dr. Mueller because the old lecturer was bad.... why not do the same for embryo?.... Replace the professor....

DMU prides itself in a very student oriented and welcoming environment. Thus far, I have experienced this.... but from what I've heard from staff, faculty, students, administrators, etc, Dr. Meetz is nothing of the sort....

Anyway.... just venting my frustration on line as I look through the material for the FIRST WEEK AND SECOND WEEK of development in embryology.... Sorry if I have offended anyone, but it seems very frustrating that we won't get adequately thought in this subject area....

A part of me thinks that it's good to do a bit of independent study but then there's a part of me that wonder's when in the world am I going to be able to fit this independent studying in my schedule....

I have to admit, Dr. Meetz has improved the "objectives and food for thoughts" for this year compared to last years....

Last year he has "Learn all bold types".... this year he has "Define related terms".... Some improvement if you can call it that :rolleyes:

But for the rest of the course, I'm lovin' it.... the biochem department is awesome, I'm enjoying PBL.... the best part thus far has to be the OMM labs and lecture....

Anyway... of to puzzle out how this week is going to go.... good luck to the class of 2004.... Remember to breath ;)

JP, I am not aware of anyone that was replaced in the micro department... they restructured it a lot, but I don't think anyone was cut.

I thought I heard Dr. Mueller saying something about this.... I may be wrong....

Anyway, Dr. Meetz did lecture to us about his plan with self study.... it was a bit worthless as most of us already knew what he was going to say.... He lectured, not on embryology, but lectured us to "NOT LISTEN TO THE CURRENT SECOND YEARS" about Embryology.... and that despite all the bickering about how awful this class is that everyone does okay.... How much of that is true??? I'm not sure.... But Dr. Meetz sure look like he was blowing off some steam this morning....

Honestly, I could've spent that time learning embryo instead of listening to his lecturing about him being right and students being wrong....

BTW, he misinterpreted a study he quoted about "educators" stating that the only thing effective was self study and interaction with lecturers and students. I think he needs to look at that study again.... Interaction with the lecturer and students require a trust and commitment as well as coupled with lectures, study sessions,etc.... otherwise, if there is no trust between lecturer and student then this whole learning process will simply won't work.... Right now, no one seems to like the method of Dr. Meetz teaching.... right there alone, the relationship with lecturer and student is not working....

Anyway, I'm just bickering again.... I should be studying my embryo....

Sooooo How was the cardio test? Did it give you Class of 04's a heart attack???? :D

well JP, when I saw my cardio grade, it did give me a moment of asystole. I did much better than I even expected... I guess my all weekend cram session paid off!! Of course, now that I studdied all weekend I'm going to treat this week like my weekend... in other words, I probably won't get jack &$%* done this week! It will feel good though. I hope all of you first years have enjoyed your anatomy labs... its the best part about the first semester! I also had an awesome group, so that helped!
JP (and all first years): OK, so embryo hasn't changed... so suck it up and just get it done with! Thats the best advice I can give. Dr. Meetz is a great guy outside of class, there isn't anything he wouldnt do for the students... except lecturing of course! :D
Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you in the anatomy labs!
Best of luck, Josh

PS: Where the hell is everyone? And no, studying is not an excuse!

Yup.... this is me sucking it up....

Anyway.... Seems like people have just disappeared.... No more postings until people get use to the whole school thing.... Us first years do have a biochem test coming up this monday.... Yeepeeskeepee!!!

Alright.... off to do my PBL Biochem report....