DMU and UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros Cons? I know there are plenty on both schools on other threads, but hey, these threads are my candy at work, some fresh 411 would be nice.....I interviewed at DMU a week ago and will be interviewing in Kansas City (my birth city :cool: ) on the 19th of Dec.

Specific for UHS-how are 3rd and 4th year rotations worked? Lottery, assigned? Can you do most in KC?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Specific for UHS-how are 3rd and 4th year rotations worked? Lottery, assigned? Can you do most in KC?

Thanks[/QB][/QUOTE]

During my UHS tour they said that you put down where you want to go for third and fourth year on a list and then they assign you to a location based on a lottery from that. For example, 61 people wanted to stay in KC for 3rd and 4th year, and there were only 60 places available, so one person couldn't do their rotations there. They said the majority of people get to go where they want to though. I didn't interview at DMU, but I did interview at UHS. I explained my experience there ont he UHS/KCOM interview thread.

Pros and cons of UHS really depend on you. Yes the class size is huge, but whether that's a pro or a con depends on your learning style and how determined you are ot get individual help. I was told that the profs are very approachable during office hours. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

I hope that makes sense.

UHS:I can tell you the Profs are VERY approachable and helpful, most if not all, prepare pretest reviews (at least they did when I went there). There is some friction with administration...but what school doesn't have that.
As far as 3rd year rotations, the class size is the crippling factor. There just isn't enough quality sights for all students. A pity. But 4th year is totally up to you...you pretty much schedule your entire year anywhere you would like, from UCLA to UMass to Baylor.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks freeeedom, so the lottery doesnt work to well? Even if I can not do them in KC will I be able to get a decent urbaN hospital slot elswere, or will I have to settle for a community slot?

No, the lottery does work well...the class size is just too large and there is no central hospital to rotate, leaving many to spend 3rd year at non teaching hospitals. But Most of the spots are good, and you will have plenty of opportunities to be at an urban hospital your 3rd year. It is primarily up to you.