DMU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL - yeah I knew about them - I think all med schools have them though

I'm not terribly worried about behavioral med ;)

P.S. Were you around on 9/14 for the interviewees?
Trust me, you have no idea what you just said. By this time in your educational career you are used to studying sciences. Most of the time the answers in science are very concrete, very logical. We like step-by-step processes. They are a pain to remember but possible nonetheless.

Now imagine a class that you have everyday, are given 7-10 pages of solid notes that are just a random smattering of facts that do not follow a discernible sequential order. Well that sounds bad but not horrible.

Add biochem and anatomy and OMM to that and now it's horrible

Members don't see this ad.

Trust me, you have no idea what you just said. By this time in your educational career you are used to studying sciences. Most of the time the answers in science are very concrete, very logical. We like step-by-step processes. They are a pain to remember but possible nonetheless.

Now imagine a class that you have everyday, are given 7-10 pages of solid notes that are just a random smattering of facts that do not follow a discernible sequential order. Well that sounds bad but not horrible.

Add biochem and anatomy and OMM to that and now it's horrible

You know I'm a speech therapist, right?

Edit: I'm hoping this will come in handy for Behavioral Med

You know I'm a speech therapist, right?

Edit: I'm hoping this will come in handy for Behavioral Med

Nothing will prepare you for BM. Nothing. You could be Sigmund Freud and still get questions wrong about your own psychoanalytic theory. The class topics are good and all, but the quality of teaching is lacking. Every med school has the one class that is just terrible. Luckily, for us, it's BM and not something important like anatomy or biochem.

As for rotations, all of the current second year except 40 will stay in Iowa. When our class goes on rotations, the number who leave will be less. By the time your class would go on rotations, everyone should be in Iowa. Dr. Schaffer and his crew are really working hard to keep everybody local. Feedback from previous years has mirrored what many have said here; nobody wants to move around for 3rd year. The clinical staff seems to be very receptive to student feedback and is acting on it as we speak. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing will prepare you for BM. Nothing. You could be Sigmund Freud and still get questions wrong about your own psychoanalytic theory. The class topics are good and all, but the quality of teaching is lacking. Every med school has the one class that is just terrible. Luckily, for us, it's BM and not something important like anatomy or biochem.

LOL that seems completely sadistic, but I've heard this is the case with BM across schools.

cant wait for my letter!!

grrr, nothing for today .... :mad:

Do you guys know if it's going to be EMAIL, PHONE, or LETTER?

grrr, nothing for today .... :mad:

Do you guys know if it's going to be EMAIL, PHONE, or LETTER?

It'll be via e-mail. Good luck, NewGirl. Just TRY to take it easy while you wait. I remember checking mine at like 5:05 pm on a Friday afternoon after classes were over,so if you interviewed on a Friday, you'll prob get it on a friday 14 days later. Good luck & all the best:luck:
& lastly, I couldn't agree more w/ Boner & the other posters: Behavioral Medicine will make you cringe- but luckily the subjects they lecture about are very interesting AND it's only worth 2 credits.

ACCEPTED !!!!
hahaha! :clap::bow::banana::biglove:

I called in today, and they said they were having problems with their email, but we'll be getting our emails by tonight. XD :thumbup:

ACCEPTED !!!!
hahaha! :clap::bow::banana::biglove:

I called in today, and they said they were having problems with their email, but we'll be getting our emails by tonight. XD :thumbup:

Did you get accepted???haha...is DMU your top choice cause I hope it is. DMU is an awesome school. You'll miss out if you don't go here....I guarantee...haha....good luck to everyone else!!!

I got accepted too!!!

haha, yay! yeah, I had to call and find out too! the NEWgirl, when did you interview??

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted too!!!

haha, yay! yeah, I had to call and find out too! the NEWgirl, when did you interview??

hehe, i interviewed 9/7, the only girl wearing skirt at that time :laugh:

haha, its cool...i interviewed 9/6, and was the only one wearing a skirt...AND the only one NOT wearing black. i know...completely inappropriate. haha.

My acceptance e-mail only said: DMU Status Update in the subject.. I remember someone saying it comes as DMU Acceptance or something so I thought the worst.. But luckily it was actually an acceptance!! So don't have a heart attack if you see status update and not acceptance in the email subject line..:D

Thanks, that's good to know. Congrats on the acceptance! :)

Congrats to all of you!

hey yall, i was wondering, from those of you who have heard from des moines about invites for interviews or rejections, who has been rejected post secondary. are most people who are offered secondaries offered interviews as well?from what ive seen on sdn, it seems rare that those offered secondaries to dmu are rejected post secondary. thanks ion advance

hey yall, i was wondering, from those of you who have heard from des moines about invites for interviews or rejections, who has been rejected post secondary. are most people who are offered secondaries offered interviews as well?from what ive seen on sdn, it seems rare that those offered secondaries to dmu are rejected post secondary. thanks ion advance

Here's the rough breakdown from the class of 2011 (source: presentation by Dean Reed)

Primaries Rec'd: 3500
Secondaries Sent: 1800
Interview invites: 450
Acceptance offers: 325

Here's the rough breakdown from the class of 2011 (source: presentation by Dean Reed)

Primaries Rec'd: 3500
Secondaries Sent: 1800
Interview invites: 450
Acceptance offers: 325

nice. thanks

Ucdavis what all are you hearing from schools? Just curious, because I think we got our stuff in at about the same time.

Ucdavis what all are you hearing from schools? Just curious, because I think we got our stuff in at about the same time.

ive gotten secondaries from: unecom,pcom,azcom,ccom,kcom,soma,dmu,got a letter from nycom(no secondary until interview is offered),western u, touro mi. havent heard a peep from touro ny or touro nv.submitted most of em so far, but just got the a.t stills secondaries a few days ago. will submit those tonight. and i already had my letters sent to the schools. except pcom, im having trouble filling thier committee letter req/alternatives.gotta ask my dean for a letter again. btw, im not even going to complete westerns secondary. waaay too many questions for a school as ugly as western, even though thier education may be great, i cant see myself attending a university with such a campus.

Has anybody who interviewed heard any news yet from DMU?

Any time... Just curious

I interviewed 9/21 and I'm still waiting...

I just haven't seen a class of 2012 thread (maybe I missed it). There was a lot of action here, isn't much anymore...

oh sorry no help jere I interview thursday the 13 and was emailed in a week and a couple days. that monday or tuesday. so for me it was really quick

Great - Thanks for the info. And, congrats! :)

IUgrad..you interviewed the 21st? Me too!

I was one of the five from Wisconsin. =)

On a more paranoid note, they offered me a partial scholarship, but haven't accepted me yet. Can I stop freaking out? Have they offered a scholarship to someone they eventually rejected before?

:scared:

Is that a dumb question? I don't even know what I think anymore.

IUgrad..you interviewed the 21st? Me too!

I was one of the five from Wisconsin. =)

On a more paranoid note, they offered me a partial scholarship, but haven't accepted me yet. Can I stop freaking out? Have they offered a scholarship to someone they eventually rejected before?

:scared:

Is that a dumb question? I don't even know what I think anymore.

I think only people they accept but what do i KNow.. anyway.. congrats on the scholarship.. what are your stats if I could ask?

I think only people they accept but what do i KNow.. anyway.. congrats on the scholarship.. what are your stats if I could ask?

3.8/37

Don't comment too fast, though. My EC's aren't the greatest. It balances out.

Wow, that's awesome, Johannen!

I would think if they offered you a scholarship that they are planning on admitting you, but I don't know. The financial aid woman acted like you were automatically put into the scholarship pool if you met certain GPA/MCAT requirements, which makes me think that you were accepted and then your name went into the group for scholarships....

Let me know if you hear anything! I hope we hear something soon -- the waiting is brutal!

I just found out today - I'm ACCEPTED!!!! :)

YAY!!!!! :)

ACCEPTED TODAY HOLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

1st acceptance!! interviewed on sept 21st!

How does DMU notify you for an interview invite?

Tex, the invite is by email

Bullish, Congrats! Btw, we interviewed the same day! ;)

I just found out today - I'm ACCEPTED!!!! :)

YAY!!!!! :)

Congatulations IUGrad and Bullish, I interviewed there yesterday.

I think the interview was really laid back and went well. My interviewer asked a few questions that I kind of blew over during the interview but now I am really second guessing them. He asked me where else I applied to and I told him and he asked me some questions about the University of Nebraska, kind of trying to get me to compare them. I was a little confused and I don't think that I completely understood what was going on. I hoped they liked what I said.

Okay, so what is the typical turnover time from being complete at this school to receiving an interview invite/rejection/whatever?

I'm sitting at 2 weeks since I got the "your application is now complete" e-mail right now.

Mine was about 3 weeks and that seems pretty typical.

Well that's not going to cut it. I'm way too impatient for that.

Well, I guess you could always call them and tell them that you deserve an exception to the waiting time. :laugh:

Thanks, t-funk, Play and Pete!

t-funk, I hope you get some good news in a couple of weeks, too! It seems like it takes about 15 days to hear back...

Pete, the interview consists of a panel of three: an alum, a professor and a 2nd year student. My interview was pretty laid-back with only file specific questions other than why medicine and why osteopathy. Oh, and, like t-funk, they also asked me where else I applied -- specifically, if I applied to IU (state school) and why.

The interviewers were very kind and encouraging. The interview went so easy and well that I was a little worried (having heard the rumor that sometimes interviewers just coast along and are easy with those that they aren't interested in because they figure "why give her a hard time when we're not planning to accept her, anyway"). I guess that was just paranoia, though.

I'm so excited! Play, have you decided if you are attending? I know it's still early...

Thanks IUGrad, I hope so too. I liked DMU a lot but for completely different reasons than I liked KCUMB. We'll see what happens. Do you know for sure where you're attending yet?

Tex, I think that DMU is very formulaic and they have their admissions system down to a very smooth process. I'm sure you will hear something in about a week and :luck:.

No I haven't figured it out quite yet.. Still excited and getting more interviews and such... but I will say that I definitely loved DMU.. I was so much more impressed than I had originally thought I would be so it's definitely gonna be a tough decision!

How about you any plans yet?

t-funk: No, haven't decided yet... That will be a tough decision to make. I'm like you; I like them both a lot but for very different reasons...

It sounds like your interview went well. I'm sure you'll be agonizing over the choice yourself in a couple weeks. ;) We'll have to share and compare pros/cons. :)

Play: Congrats on all the interviews!

No, I haven't decided. I'm putting off that decision as long as possible and just enjoying the bliss of acceptance for a while! lol I am interviewing at UNECOM next week, which is also at the top of my list. I'm glad we have until December to decide!