DMU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

when were you complete? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an invite today and was complete 8/23.

Thanks for the responses...just got an invite on 9/14! (complete on 8/22)

late July. I was friggin' early

I didn't have a DO letter but I had shadowed a DO by the time my interview rolled around and he's writing a letter for me for other applications. If I'm waitlisted I'll send it in.

yeah, i was finished with my primary app...about 3 weeks following when it was posted. so about late june early july? they offered an interview prior to getting my DO letter.

yeah, i was finished with my primary app...about 3 weeks following when it was posted. so about late june early july? they offered an interview prior to getting my DO letter.

- Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I was offered an interview before even submitting a secondary

- Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I was offered an interview before even submitting a secondary

Yeah, DMU does that...but let me tell you that the interview is not an automatic acceptance...last year, only half those interviewed were accepted...so they might not get the secondary yet, or the DO letter, but those will still factor in, after the interview..good luck:thumbup:

oh geez, dont tell me that! Haha, my DO letter was in before my interview...but i just had it on the 6th, and now i'm waiting for the email. basically a 2 week long panic attack. fun times!

Yeah, DMU does that...but let me tell you that the interview is not an automatic acceptance...last year, only half those interviewed were accepted...so they might not get the secondary yet, or the DO letter, but those will still factor in, after the interview..good luck:thumbup:

Hey! The admissions ladies told us that about 75% of the people who interview early get accepted.

Now my bubble is burst :(

oh geez, dont tell me that! Haha, my DO letter was in before my interview...but i just had it on the 6th, and now i'm waiting for the email. basically a 2 week long panic attack. fun times!

When you get the acceptance, don't forget to tell us!!!!!!!

P.S. Anyone think they interviewed terribly and wound up accepted at DMU?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you get the acceptance, don't forget to tell us!!!!!!!

P.S. Anyone think they interviewed terribly and wound up accepted at DMU?

How was your interview, megboo? Didn't you go last week? Hope you get some good news!

I'm interviewing later this week. :scared:

How was your interview, megboo? Didn't you go last week? Hope you get some good news!

I'm interviewing later this week. :scared:

I felt it was ok (I blogged about it). There was one question that worried me - it went like this:

professor: I'm a little concerned about your science background.
me: oh?
prof: Yes, I see that you haven't had biochem yet and that's one of, if not the hardest courses for med students. How will you remedy this?
me: Well, I could take a biochem course prior to matriculation, or if that's not an option I would do some review prior to matriculation and make sure to seek out the prof. during office hours and befriend those who are doing well in the class.
prof: I guess I just want to make you aware that this is a very difficult undertaking (there was more hemming and hawwing at my lack of biochem - he is a biochem prof).
me: I understand. I just want to point out that I did very well in Organic Chemistry by employing the same methods of success that I just outlined. In fact, I honored both Orgo I/II.
prof: Yes, I see that you have an extremely favorable recommendation from your orgo prof. Any other questions, adcoms?

That exchange freaked me out, man!

I felt it was ok (I blogged about it). There was one question that worried me - it went like this:

prof: Yes, I see that you haven't had biochem yet and that's one of, if not the hardest courses for med students. How will you remedy this?
me: Well, I could take a biochem course prior to matriculation, or if that's not an option I would do some review prior to matriculation and make sure to seek out the prof. during office hours and befriend those who are doing well in the class.
prof: I guess I just want to make you aware that this is a very difficult undertaking (there was more hemming and hawwing at my lack of biochem - he is a biochem prof).
me: I understand. I just want to point out that I did very well in Organic Chemistry by employing the same methods of success that I just outlined. In fact, I honored both Orgo I/II.
prof: Yes, I see that you have an extremely favorable recommendation from your orgo prof. Any other questions, adcoms?

Yeah, that would have freaked me out, too.

I think you handled yourself really well with what you said about Org I/II. He was probably just interested since he's a biochem prof, like you said. I doubt that he was making any judgments about your ability specifically -- it's probably just that he has seen some people with no prior biochem struggle.

I am sure that it went better than what you think. I always think that I do horribly in interviews, too. How long did they tell you it would be before they make a decision? Is DMU one that lets you know pretty quickly?

I am sure that it went better than what you think. I always think that I do horribly in interviews, too. How long did they tell you it would be before they make a decision? Is DMU one that lets you know pretty quickly?

They said within 2 weeks they will notify us, and if not, we have free reign to annoy them ;)

Megboo, did you like DMU? They're my next interview and I'm not so sure about them when I hear stuff like that Biochem question? I really liked the way KCUMB would say they wouldn't have invited us for an interview if they didn't know we could handle the material. They really made us feel like the interview was more of a personality check and to see if we would fit in there.

Megboo, did you like DMU? They're my next interview and I'm not so sure about them when I hear stuff like that Biochem question? I really liked the way KCUMB would say they wouldn't have invited us for an interview if they didn't know we could handle the material. They really made us feel like the interview was more of a personality check and to see if we would fit in there.

Actually, I loved it. I just chalk that up to a hard interview question. You'll be amazed by the labs.

That was just my experience, and from the sound of it, all that were interviewed had at least 1 hard question.

When I interviewed the last time I applied, I felt like I was too reserved. Trying to be too PC. This time around, I am going to be cocky as hell, which happens to be my actual personality. We'll see how it goes.

Well I hope I like it. I already know that I will not be a good fit in a school that is looking for the more cocky type and I just hope DMU is not like that. No offense TT. I guess right now I should just hope that I get an acceptance somewhere. Good luck on all your interviews Megboo.:luck:

I think you just have to be yourself. They will see through your BS if you aren't.

Well I hope I like it. I already know that I will not be a good fit in a school that is looking for the more cocky type and I just hope DMU is not like that. No offense TT. I guess right now I should just hope that I get an acceptance somewhere. Good luck on all your interviews Megboo.:luck:

Thanks, you too!

Right now it's only one more though

Hey guys,
I'm a first year DMU-COM student and just wanted to shed some light on BC and other courses here. BC is really not that bad, even for someone who hasn't taken it or has taken an intro course to BC. Yes, it is a lot of info, I think you will get that anywhere but conceptually it is not that bad. The profs here are excellent!!! They give you printed handouts and study guides that basically tell you what to study for. So far our classes haven't been hard conceptually, it's more along the lines of keeping up with all the material they stuff down your throat and this should be the same pretty much everywhere. What I do like is that DMU eases you into the entire scheme of medical school. So during your first 2 weeks or so, you're only taking 2-3 classes. They eventually toss in anatomy the 3rd week. That, however, is a ball buster:eek: But anatomy is not hard either, just a lot. So don't get scared about BC here at DMU. Med school is not that hard, just hard to keep up. Hopefully this helps with your decision or impression of DMU. It truly is a wonderful and accepting campus. Good luck again and if you have any concerns, questions , feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the info, I really hope DMU is awesome. I'm in BC hell right now as we speak trying to study for a test tomorrow so I hope this pays off.

When/who did you interview with? I was asked a question by a biochem prof specifically about research that i'd done over a summer, and he really wanted to know the details. I'd done it only for a few weeks during the summer of '06 and I can barely remember much about it, since I had an entire year-long research project on a completely different topic. Ahh! I tried to change the focus of the question to my most recent research, and hoped that he wasnt disappointed! Thats pretty much my only scare about my interview at DMU. Hopefully we'll be hearing from them soon!!

Hey! The admissions ladies told us that about 75% of the people who interview early get accepted.

Now my bubble is burst :(

What's considered early?

5:30 Am

holy crap this thing won't let me make both the A and the M capital letters.

so when they tell you to expect a response in 2 weeks...does that mean 2 weeks from that day, 14 business days...two whole weeks? i dont even know. i called today, and I didnt quite understand. i interviewed 9/6 so does that mean i should hear tomorrow? or monday? or not until the 27th?

p.s. i think all schools should give us a complimentary valium prescription. we're freakin out.

They made it explicitly clear 2 weeks from the day we interview.

BTW - what did they tell you when you called? And I agree 1000000% on the valium. Plus, it should be a tid prescription ;)

just wondering if anyone interviewing on 9/6 or 9/7 hear anything from DMU yet?

I'm checking my email like every hour now! the 2 weeks waiting period is almost up ... :mad:

I'm checking my email like every hour now! the 2 weeks waiting period is almost up ... :mad:
My acceptance came on the 13th day of waiting. If you're accepted the heading is DMU Offer of Acceptance........just so you can prepare yourself.

My acceptance came on the 13th day of waiting. If you're accepted the heading is DMU Offer of Acceptance........just so you can prepare yourself.

eek, that's tomorrow .. :scared: .. I would definitely go to DMU (despite MD acceptance)
that's how impressed I was (even though clinical rotation kinda suck) :laugh:

What's wrong with the rotations?

well, technically i dislike the possibility of doing some rotation in other states for a month each time ... it's good for those who likes to travel, but it's a hassle for me since i have baggages lol :laugh:

well, technically i dislike the possibility of doing some rotation in other states for a month each time ... it's good for those who likes to travel, but it's a hassle for me since i have baggages lol :laugh:
I'm sure you were told this at your interview but DMU is currently working with local hospitals to make it so everyone that wants to stay in DM for rotations can. Also, DMU will work very closely with you if you want to do a specific rotation at a specific location. I will definitely be utilizing this to go back to minneapolis for awhile.

hehe I'm waiting too but I was waiting for a phone call. DMU was amazing.

I was hoping a thread like this would come about! I bit off my nails already and I still have a little more than a week to go to find out (interviewed on 9/14).

At least I can direct my anxiety toward DMU here now :eek: :D

P.S. I thought the facilities were awesome, too!

I was hoping a thread like this would come about! I bit off my nails already and I still have a little more than a week to go to find out (interviewed on 9/14).

At least I can direct my anxiety toward DMU here now :eek: :D

P.S. I thought the facilities were awesome, too!

I was especially impressed with simulation lab, better than some older established md school :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I was especially impressed with simulation lab, better than some older established md school :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

no kidding. I was telling my mom about that and she went to an MD school in the late 80's-early 90's and she was like "we had people act as patients too, it's nothing new"

I was like "whoa honey! Did you have mannequins that breathed in O2 and exhaled CO2? Did they have a heartbeat and a pee-pee to place a catheter? Did they have a central line placement or could they give birth? (and the rest of the rundown on the different patient types)"

She was like "That's freaking cool!!!!!" :thumbup::thumbup: We had nothing like that!!!!!!!

no kidding. I was telling my mom about that and she went to an MD school in the late 80's-early 90's and she was like "we had people act as patients too, it's nothing new"

We actually have these...actor-patients who are pretty good at being patients. They're called SPALS and they're nerve-racking when you do your first one. Its good experience though in interacting with patients. Knowing what to say and what not to say, etc. Oh you guys will LOVE Behavioral Medicine. I guarantee!!!:laugh:

We actually have these...actor-patients who are pretty good at being patients. They're called SPALS and they're nerve-racking when you do your first one. Its good experience though in interacting with patients. Knowing what to say and what not to say, etc. Oh you guys will LOVE Behavioral Medicine. I guarantee!!!:laugh:

LOL - yeah I knew about them - I think all med schools have them though

I'm not terribly worried about behavioral med ;)

P.S. Were you around on 9/14 for the interviewees?

oh yay! someone finally made a thread i've been freaking out about. I interviewed on the 6th, and called today because i was wondering. She told me that it would be 2 weeks of business days and oftentimes from the monday after...so i dont know if that means that I wont hear until the 27th, next monday or tomorrow:scared:

any ideas??

oh yay! someone finally made a thread i've been freaking out about. I interviewed on the 6th, and called today because i was wondering. She told me that it would be 2 weeks of business days and oftentimes from the monday after...so i dont know if that means that I wont hear until the 27th, next monday or tomorrow:scared:

any ideas??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well, i guess the latest for you would be a week from today :(

And the latest for me would be.... 10/4 :(