DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The drive there wasn't too bad. It's the drive home that is horrible. Hours of nothing to do but dissect your interview answers. My advice, sing along with songs so you don't freak out like I did lol.

Yeah.... man o man... i think i replayed my interview in my head like two million times ... i even played it in slowmotion forward and back.... like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAbWpqgOJ10&feature=related

forward to 40 seconds

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I live in IL. You can get away with 65-70mph on I-80. But dont do any 75-85mph as it seems in IL, WI, IN they LOVE busting OOS people.

I like your Blago Pict.... you should really get his book.... this guy is a certified duechbag

I like your Blago Pict.... you should really get his book.... this guy is a certified duechbag

Getting his book means I would be subsidizing his idiocy with money. The man is definitely ill. He actually has a radio show every Sunday now, on WLS which is one of the most respected radio stations in the country so it is surprising they did that.

The guy is a loser. He actually tried to shake down Northwestern Univ. Children's Memorial Hospital for money. Definite low-life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting his book means I would be subsidizing his idiocy with money. The man is definitely ill. He actually has a radio show every Sunday now, on WLS which is one of the most respected radio stations in the country so it is surprising they did that.

The guy is a loser. He actually tried to shake down Northwestern Univ. Children's Memorial Hospital for money. Definite low-life.

Low-life indeed....It kills me to see people with power and so much potential to make a good impact on the world and yet the human in them takes them down the self-serving route... What kills me more is that this guy walks freely to sway the always so gullible public and the potential jury in which ever way he wants to. Sometimes I question the fairness of our laws....Oh well

Its a ten hour drive....not including breaks. IL speed limit is 55 mph along much of the I 80...i booked a hotel for two days and drove one night before the interview. I left at 10 pm and got there around noon i took many breaks because I was getting hypnotized by the street lights.., checked into my hotel room...slept like a baby, woke up at 3 am, ironed my suit, watched some tv till 6 am, then i took off for the interview. I know, I am a bat. But its 600 miles... you could do it in 7 hours doing 85 mph... but IN, IL and IA have 65 mph and below speed limits...so your talking major chedder if you get busted

Ya that is pretty intense... I know some people in Chicago. Maybe I will leave Tuesday and spend the night in Chicago one night. Then drive Wednesday and check in and wake up Thursday for the interview.

I just got (and filled out) my secondary today.

Does anyone know how important the medical exposure letter is? I had a D.O. write a letter for me, but I didn't shadow him very much, mostly just interviewed. Do I need to get him to write one that more specifically answers DMU's questions? Or will I be OK seeing as it's from a D.O. and he surely said good things..? My issue is that I'm worried about inconveniencing him as well as delaying the completion of my app.

Thanks! Hope to be interviewing here soon!

I interviewed Friday 9/4. They said 2 weeks from the following Monday. However, that Monday was Labor Day so I think it'd be two weeks from the following Tuesday. Hope it's this Friday though...

I just got my interview invite today and I have the same concern as you. So I can't answer from experience, but I asked my pre-med adviser about that and he said that LOR's won't really make or break your application. If you have everything else (good grades, MCAT, and ample involvement/medical experience), weak letters won't change their mind about you (unless the letters say bad things, of course :). This is because they realize that some people are simply bad letter writers, which has nothing to do with the student, and moreover doctors are BUSY and they can't expect an earth-shatteringly good LOR from a doctor with whom you've only spent a short time shadowing. I hope that helps - I know it's hard to put much stock into it when you're facing the competition!

I just got (and filled out) my secondary today.

Does anyone know how important the medical exposure letter is? I had a D.O. write a letter for me, but I didn't shadow him very much, mostly just interviewed. Do I need to get him to write one that more specifically answers DMU's questions? Or will I be OK seeing as it's from a D.O. and he surely said good things..? My issue is that I'm worried about inconveniencing him as well as delaying the completion of my app.

Thanks! Hope to be interviewing here soon!

I just got my interview invite today and I have the same concern as you. So I can't answer from experience, but I asked my pre-med adviser about that and he said that LOR's won't really make or break your application. If you have everything else (good grades, MCAT, and ample involvement/medical experience), weak letters won't change their mind about you (unless the letters say bad things, of course :). This is because they realize that some people are simply bad letter writers, which has nothing to do with the student, and moreover doctors are BUSY and they can't expect an earth-shatteringly good LOR from a doctor with whom you've only spent a short time shadowing. I hope that helps - I know it's hard to put much stock into it when you're facing the competition!

I interviewed Friday 9/4. They said 2 weeks from the following Monday. However, that Monday was Labor Day so I think it'd be two weeks from the following Tuesday. Hope it's this Friday though...

I was under the impression that the 2 weeks from Monday was taking into account Labor Day, because normally wouldn't it just be 2 weeks from the interview day? So I thought they said from Monday because it'd be one less business day otherwise, if they had said from Friday. I don't know, either way I'm tired of waiting. :xf:

I can't stand the wait either. Oh well, I kind of don't want to know the results until after a few more interviews this week and next week.

DMU Accepted: I don't put 100% effort into the rest of my interviews.
DMU Rejected: My confidence goes down, I get nervous, and panic mode kicks in full gear for the next few interviews.

Good luck MN Med!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't stand the wait either. Oh well, I kind of don't want to know the results until after a few more interviews this week and next week.

DMU Accepted: I don't put 100% effort into the rest of my interviews.
DMU Rejected: My confidence goes down, I get nervous, and panic mode kicks in full gear for the next few interviews.

Good luck MN Med!

Geez, you guys are making me nervous for my interview!

Just remember, they wouldn't interview you if they weren't willing to accept you, so make them want to accept you. :)

Waitlisted, jsut found out by e-mail.

I am pretty disappointed about this one, and I have to feel it is because my stats are all under their average. I thought my interview went great too.

I am pretty disappointed about this one, and I have to feel it is because my stats are all under their average. I thought my interview went great too.

You GPA maybe, but you MCAT is certainly at their average. I'm really sorry to hear about this one, but you have done incredibly well this cycle already so congrats to that. I'v yet to get an interview invite so be glad your not in my boat.

Ok... thats not a rejection.... plus your pretty early in the cycle.... more likely than not some students will get accepted and decide not at attend. Hang in there ... what is meant to happen will happen.

Just got an email for acceptance for admission! Oh my goodness I am sooo excited right now. It was my #1 school, 1st interview, and 1st acceptance and was noticed prior to two weeks!!!! I can't believe this! I am seriously the happiest person on EARTH right now! I can promise you that! Tears of Joy!!!

For those worried or nervous about their interview... let me give you a break down of your application

You worked 3-5 years to get your GPA and ECs
You studied 3-5 months for your mcat score
your interview day was 3-5 hours
your interview was 30-50 minutes

Wouldn't you think that your grades, ECs and MCAT score will play a much bigger role in your acceptance than how you did in your interview? It should be common sense that your grades and MCAT score are more reflective of your abilities and potential than your 30 minutes interview. Im not saying go to your IV dressed as ronald mcdonald... all im saying is relax, be yourself and if its meant to happen it will. And in the grand scheme of things, our existence is nothing but a mere blink in the eye of time, so the potential good we could do as future physicians, for our fellow "man" and ourselves, is very tiny. And when served an obstacle, like being waitlisted to med school, think about that child in Zimbabwae or Nepal that dreams about a hot meal, or CLTHES! YOU ARE PRIVLIDGED TO BE IN YOUR SITUATION, NO MATTER WHAT OBSTACLES COME YOUR WAY! (i hope i made you feel better, and that "i" is not lower cased by accident)

Just got an email for acceptance for admission! Oh my goodness I am sooo excited right now. It was my #1 school, 1st interview, and 1st acceptance and was noticed prior to two weeks!!!! I can't believe this! I am seriously the happiest person on EARTH right now! I can promise you that! Tears of Joy!!!

I just imagined you celebrating... it made me smile :)... enjoy it... go to DQ and grab the largest size blizzard... CONGRATS YOUR GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!

You can't find out about the waitlist until next summer right?

I just received my results (via email) that I have been accepted at DMU-COM! I was so happy, I almost passed out :laugh:

Anyway, congratulations to everyone else who was accepted. If not, do NOT give up. It is early in the admission cycle and being waitlisted does NOT mean you do not have a chance anymore. If rejected, keep your head up.

To those who have interviews coming up, please feel free to ask me any questions about the interview process there. I am NOT an expert but I have experienced first-hand what it felt like and was as nervous as anyone here on SDN.

Good luck :xf:

You can't find out about the waitlist until next summer right?

I don't know about DMU-COM. However, when I interviewed at TUCOM-NV I was told that those who are waitlisted have to wait until May or so of 2010. That is when the majority of applicants who have been accepted decide between their final destinations. Unfortunately, it is not fair because they are holding seats that they have no intentions in filling, keeping those who desperately want to get in anxious and stressed. I hope this helps :)

I just received my results (via email) that I have been accepted at DMU-COM! I was so happy, I almost passed out :laugh:

Anyway, congratulations to everyone else who was accepted. If not, do NOT give up. It is early in the admission cycle and being waitlisted does NOT mean you do not have a chance anymore. If rejected, keep your head up.

To those who have interviews coming up, please feel free to ask me any questions about the interview process there. I am NOT an expert but I have experienced first-hand what it felt like and was as nervous as anyone here on SDN.

I'd like to hear your impressions of the school!

I've a question about being waitlisted this early...

does being put on the waitlist this early in the app cycle put you at the top of the waitlist? is it a first come first serve type thing or do they prioritize?

Congrats!! Did you interview one of the first 2 days?

Thank you! Yes, I interviewed on the first day of official interviews. That was September 3rd of this year. I did not know it was the first interview day of the 2010 cycle. When I found out half way through my interview day, I became very, very nervous :) But then all my worries melted away during the actual interview. Thank goodness!

I'd like to hear your impressions of the school!

DMU-COM is an absolutely gorgeous school. That is all I have to say. Going into the application cycle, I had a rough idea what my top schools are. The moment I stepped out of my rental car, I said, “This is it!” I don’t know how to describe it in words. Everything-from the simulation lab and OMM lab to the faculty and student body to the awesome Board scores to the campus itself- just made me feel at ease. I was disappointed I did not get to see the anatomy lab on that particular day. But my overall impression of the school was very, very positive. Did you apply there?

DMU-COM is an absolutely gorgeous school. That is all I have to say. Going into the application cycle, I had a rough idea what my top schools are. The moment I stepped out of my rental car, I said, “This is it!” I don’t know how to describe it in words. Everything-from the simulation lab and OMM lab to the faculty and student body to the awesome Board scores to the campus itself- just made me feel at ease. I was disappointed I did not get to see the anatomy lab on that particular day. But my overall impression of the school was very, very positive. Did you apply there?

The anatomy lab is just as awesome. Insanely good ventilation and huge lcd screens at every cadaver station with a real time feed of the professor's dissection and the dissection manual so you don't have to flip through your own.

:thumbup::thumbup:

DMU-COM is an absolutely gorgeous school. That is all I have to say. Going into the application cycle, I had a rough idea what my top schools are. The moment I stepped out of my rental car, I said, "This is it!" I don't know how to describe it in words. Everything-from the simulation lab and OMM lab to the faculty and student body to the awesome Board scores to the campus itself- just made me feel at ease. I was disappointed I did not get to see the anatomy lab on that particular day. But my overall impression of the school was very, very positive. Did you apply there?

I have my interview coming up soon!

I'd say good luck, but you won't need it! :)

Just have fun and enjoy yourself. I treated my interview invite like a mini vacation. I drove into des moines 2 days before the interview.

First day: Read their entire pdf catalog, went grocery shopping for snacks, ate dinner, and watched cable tv in motel 6. btw, i highly recommend this place. just $35/night. Fairly close to school. Hy Vee, a grocery store, is open 24/7 and has free wifi. There's also a 24/7 diner across the street.

Second day: Hy Vee free wifi throughout the day to check SDN :( lol, read dmu interview feedback, drove and walked around downtown des moine, walked around grays lake, and looked at the wakonda club. At night I just steamed my suit, ate dinner at the diner, and went to bed early.

Day of interview: Got up at 4:45am to watch tv, shower, dress up and style my hair (haha I don't have an opportunity to dress up often so I was really looking forward to it). Got to campus around 7:30am and just said a long prayer in my car.

I was relaxed, refreshed, and pumped for the entire day. I'm 99.999_% sure I will accept their admission offer. I'm not going to say 100% because I'm never 100% sure of anything ;)

p.s. don't say that last sentence at the interview. Cheering for all you guys. Hope to meet some future classmates on this thread!

Congrats! I just got my invitation to interview (will probably schedule it for late October).....so, what should I expect? Laid-back and friendly or stern and scary? Did you stay with a student? What kind of "current issues in health care" Q's did you get asked (I'm most nervous about that!)? What other questions? Thanks!

Congrats! I just got my invitation to interview (will probably schedule it for late October).....so, what should I expect? Laid-back and friendly or stern and scary? Did you stay with a student? What kind of "current issues in health care" Q's did you get asked (I'm most nervous about that!)? What other questions? Thanks!

Thank you. Well, from my experience, the interview was extremely laid back and conversational. I had a chance to stay with a good buddy of mine but did not want to distract him from his studies and family, Instead, I opted to rent a hotel room (Hearland Inn near the airport). I did not get asked about any current issues in health care. However, I was asked that question in my other interview at Touro University. In case you are asked, BE PREPARED to back up your answer. Just my two cents. In addition, if you are from out of state, BE PREPARED to state your desires to attend DMU and choose Iowa as your residence for, at least, the next 4 years. It was not hard for me because DMU was, and still is, my #1 choice. Let's see...Know your file well (AACOMAS Application, DMU Secondary Application, Personal Statement) and be sure to visit the school's website.

My friend, just relax, be honest, and be yourself. I realize it is easier said than done. I've been in your shoes and know how you are feeling at the moment. The interview was very LAID BACK. A little nervousness and stress do not hurt. Just don't let them constrain you too much.

Good luck, buddy :xf: Let me know how it goes :)

You interviewed on September 3rd, correct? What's your name? Congratulations on the acceptance! Was/Is DMU your first choice?

Are you the Detroit Tigers fan that attended Michigan University? We were talking after the interview, right? If you were asking me, my name is . I believe I interviewed at the same times as you (1:15 PM).

By the way, congratulations on the acceptance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The anatomy lab is just as awesome. Insanely good ventilation and huge lcd screens at every cadaver station with a real time feed of the professor's dissection and the dissection manual so you don't have to flip through your own.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Wow. Thanks! I will take your word for it. I really wanted to see it for myself. But cannot complain too much. It's a beautiful school.

Alternate listed... Ouch! I guess I overestimated how much they liked me. I thought that I, being way above their stats, would help get me a scholarship...but oh well.

Alternate listed... Ouch! I guess I overestimated how much they liked me. I thought that I, being way above their stats, would help get me a scholarship...but oh well.

Im sorry to hear this. How much is way above their stats? Hopefully since you made it on the alternate list early you'll still have a chance here if you so chose later in the cycle.

Accepted today, interviewed a week ago :D. I withdrew all of my other DO apps cause this felt like a good fit. I'll have to be very impressed with my allo interviews to consider leaving my DMU acceptance.

Accepted today, interviewed a week ago :D. I withdrew all of my other DO apps cause this felt like a good fit. I'll have to be very impressed with my allo interviews to consider leaving my DMU acceptance.

I'd like to hear your comparisons between the MD and DO schools when you visit. Let me know :)

Yay, I got accepted!!! :soexcited: I was in the airport when I read the email and I almost started screaming right in the terminal!

Yay, I got accepted!!! :soexcited: I was in the airport when I read the email and I almost started screaming right in the terminal!

Congrats! I can't imagine having to keep all that joy inside while in an airport. hahaha i can definitely see you having a huge smile on your face though.

WOW Kevon, that is a bummer. I was at the Nova interview w you and you seemed so confident DMU. That makes me really nervous bc my stats aren't good...which they called out btw then questioned my study habits. Even with all of that I feel like my interview went great. I am in shock you got waitlisted. Sorry man.

WOW Kevon, that is a bummer. I was at the Nova interview w you and you seemed so confident DMU. That makes me really nervous bc my stats aren't good...which they called out btw then questioned my study habits. Even with all of that I feel like my interview went great. I am in shock you got waitlisted. Sorry man.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?