Dmu Interview!!!!!! *Merged Edition*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which hotel are you staying. like I said to Darch I would be glad to give a ride to anyone to and from school tomorrow.

DES MOINES-AT DRAKE UNIVERSITY
Address: 1140 24TH STREET, DES MOINES IA 50311 USA

It's a Holiday Inn Express. Maybe I'm already a world-renowned surgeon...

I'm getting a rental but if anyone else wants a ride....let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

DES MOINES-AT DRAKE UNIVERSITY
Address: 1140 24TH STREET, DES MOINES IA 50311 USA

It's a Holiday Inn Express. Maybe I'm already a world-renowned surgeon...

I'm getting a rental but if anyone else wants a ride....let me know!

That's funny. I will be staying at Renaissance Savery Hotel. I will see you in the interview.

Best of luck to you all at your interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was fun meeting some of the interviewees today. Good luck to you all. DMU rocks!

Was fun meeting some of the interviewees today. Good luck to you all. DMU rocks!

So, I don't leave until early Saturday morning. What's good to do on a Friday night if I was a student???

Who was all there today? I was the unshaven fellow who stopped by for 2.5 seconds.

So, I don't leave until early Saturday morning. What's good to do on a Friday night if I was a student???

My favorite thing to do on a Friday night was to find a local place to eat (I recommend checking out Court Avenue b/c there is quite a variety of restaurants), and then hit a movie at the cheap theater ($5 for a month-old movie, popcorn, and soda!!!!).

Enjoy Des Moines!!! There's plenty to explore!

My favorite thing to do on a Friday night was to find a local place to eat (I recommend checking out Court Avenue b/c there is quite a variety of restaurants), and then hit a movie at the cheap theater ($5 for a month-old movie, popcorn, and soda!!!!).

Enjoy Des Moines!!! There's plenty to explore!

You basically described my life in a nutshell, eating and cheap movies. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:)

Which hotel are you staying. like I said to Darch I would be glad to give a ride to anyone to and from school tomorrow.

thanks for the offer but I'm not interviewing until mid october. I'll look into the $20/day rental though. Good luck at your interview!! Let us know how it goes!

I might have met you..

(I was the guy in the yellow shirt)

I don't remember the yellow shirt. I sat there for a couple of hours (upstairs) with the pre-interviewees. It was really nice to meet all of ya'll. I was the tall, blonde freak from SLC, with the striped shirt. (First year)
Good luck again to all of those who are comming to DMU and to those who just left. Great bunch of students. Play nice and PM me if you have any questions.
J

Members don't see this ad :)
I was the skinny littel kid from Utah who was their yesterday. It was a great interview and a lot of fun.

But there seems to be a lot of LDS applicants/students. What are the percentages assocaited with this group? Although I'm not LDS, I come from a place where there are plently of them. Most of our Spanish teachers were mormon and had lots of little kids visiting dad at work.

I don't remember the yellow shirt. I sat there for a couple of hours (upstairs) with the pre-interviewees. It was really nice to meet all of ya'll. I was the tall, blonde freak from SLC, with the striped shirt. (First year)
Good luck again to all of those who are comming to DMU and to those who just left. Great bunch of students. Play nice and PM me if you have any questions.
J

I think I remember you. I interviewed early so you were already out there, I finished and when I came out you gave me your seat. (if you're the guy I'm thinking of)

I think I remember you. I interviewed early so you were already out there, I finished and when I came out you gave me your seat. (if you're the guy I'm thinking of)

Nice. That was me.
And on the LDS comment, no. There is a fair share but nothing significant. From what I have seen around the country, it seems to be about the same. The LDS church really pushes higher education, so it doesn't suprise me at all. :thumbup:
Anyway...next topic. Any further questions?
Had another great group today. Sorry to everyone for smelling like fermaldehyde. (I was wearing my scrubs and a t-shirt)
Anatomy is GOOD TIMES!! :thumbup:

It was nice meeting all of you who interviewed today, Friday. I was one of the tour guides. I was wearing the brown t-shirt and from San Diego. Hope all of you enjoyed your time here and feel free to keep asking questions to myself or the tall, freakish guy, Jbone.

It was nice meeting all of you who interviewed today, Friday. I was one of the tour guides. I was wearing the brown t-shirt and from San Diego. Hope all of you enjoyed your time here and feel free to keep asking questions to myself or the tall, freakish guy, Jbone.

Hey man, I was on your tour. I was the guy in the suit in your group. The other guy had some airline trouble. I enjoyed DMU and am anxiously waiting to hear back. The interview went great and was very laid back. I just got home in Florida and checking in.
Thanks

Yea, I had a great time in Des Moines. Really have a good thing going there and I would be very happy if I managed to be there next fall. Best of luck to everyone!

Yea, I had a great time in Des Moines. Really have a good thing going there and I would be very happy if I managed to be there next fall. Best of luck to everyone!

Glad to hear that everyone had a good time at DMU!! Best of luck again to everyone that's waiting for an interview, or waiting for a placement offer!

Interview feedback for this cycle for DMU has been sparse thus far, so I was wondering if any of you guys that interviewed last week got health policy/ethics heavy questions. I think I could handle such questions, but my last interview has left me pretty rattled (one of my interviewers was horrid to me!). Thanks in advance for any input!

Interview feedback for this cycle for DMU has been sparse thus far, so I was wondering if any of you guys that interviewed last week got health policy/ethics heavy questions. I think I could handle such questions, but my last interview has left me pretty rattled (one of my interviewers was horrid to me!). Thanks in advance for any input!
Really no ethics or health policy questions.

bodhisattva,

As far as ethical/health politics questions...This is really dependent upon your luck of the draw. As a student interviewer, I have sat w/ many different professors & physicians. Everyone seems to have a different style. Some people ask very tough questions to try to see how you think & others just try to get to know you to assess your fit for the school. It is usually a good thing that there is a student interviewing you b/c we usually try to ask the easier questions (especially if you are getting grilled by a faculty member, but that doesn't happen that often).

When I interviewed at DMU last year (now I am a first year here) I was given an article from The Economist about current health care policy, especially dealing with medicare, 15 minutes before I interviewed. I was told to read it and then come in when I was ready. (talk about freaking me out!) Most of my interview was about my views on the current system: problems I saw, solutions I could think of, etc. The rest of the time we talked about my experiences abroad.

Other people I talked to that day had a much more laid back interview, but I just thought you should know that there is a chance that you will be asked about current health care policy.

^ Thanks, guys. I don't mind such questions. It's just slightly annoying when an interviewer uses them as an opportunity to try to crack me and see how jerky he/she can get before I snap. Maybe I should just tell all my interviewers off the bat that they would have to do something drastic like burn down my house or kill a family member before I lose my temper. Enough with the stress interviews already. I just do not lose my temper easily.

Actually, I wouldn't mind an Economist article. I read the magazine anyway. As long as it's not from The New Yorker, which I also read, but those articles read like short novels. Brevity, anyone? :rolleyes:

Heya!

Just perusing the residency forums and was curious to see what's happening on the DMU front. I'm a 2006 graduate - it was a great experience in Iowa. I'm from Baltimore originally and I was terrified of Iowa initially. But now, I miss it a lot....especially being in Philadelphia with the awful traffic.

All I can say is you will be joining good company when you are in med school and will do pretty well with matching in residency if history is any indication...we were happy with our match results for the past two years. MIND YOU THE LIST BELOW ARE NOT ALL INCLUSIVE FOR 2006 EVEN!

We have people at Mayo, JHU, the Cleveland Clinic, UC-Irvine, University of Chicago, Loyola, Stanford, UMass. Good luck with YOUR interviews and PM me with any questions.

2006 Match stats:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3601060&highlight=2006+DMU+match#post3601060

2005 Match stats can be found at the DMU website.

Anyone scheduled interview for sept. 29th?

I interviewed today....
I loved DMU!! Campus was amazing... everyone was so friendly and during the interviews they were trying to make it as stress-free as possible... However, I was still super nervous… while I am pretty intelligent in real life it’s very possible that I sounded like a babbling fool :(

I had my DMU Interview today and I loved it! I agree with others that it really is a great place and I'd be happy to get an offer from them.

Who else was else there today?

BTW I stayed with a host and I'd highly recommend it.

I just got an interview invite at DMU. I haven't even send in my LORs yet.
September 15 is the day. Talk about birthday present.
Does any know how to properly pronounce Des Moines. I don't want to have a Spinal Tap moment.
Yeah baby, yeah

You have so many interview lined up, I do not think you will have any problem. Miami accepts 75% of people they interview so you have a good shot there. From what I understand they give a lot of importance to actual patient contact and FSU may still be another possibility. Good luck.

You have so many interview lined up, I do not think you will have any problem. Miami accepts 75% of people they interview so you have a good shot there. From what I understand they give a lot of importance to actual patient contact and FSU may still be another possibility. Good luck.

Thanks FloridaMD. I apreaciate it. I just got an acceptance at NSU-COM. I still can't believe it. I hope the rest of the interviews in Florida go well.
Thanks for your encouragment.

Thanks FloridaMD. I apreaciate it. I just got an acceptance at NSU-COM. I still can't believe it. I hope the rest of the interviews in Florida go well.
Thanks for your encouragment.

Fantastic job, Albania! Looks like you'll get to stay in-state!

Fantastic job, Albania! Looks like you'll get to stay in-state!

Thanks hamiltong.
I enjoyed meeting you at DMU and the rest of the group as well. I am still considering DMU as a top choice but will see what happens.
Have a great weekend.
LD

DMU is kinda like "The Firm" especially with the faculty, they act all nice and what not, until you get there and need assistance with something or god forbid disagree with they way things are run. I know this seems like a blanket statement and it comes off like I'm a cocky person who thinks they can walk into a school and demand how it's run, but talk to some alumni I think you'll here some echoes of my sentiment, or 4th year students.

DMU is kinda like "The Firm" especially with the faculty, they act all nice and what not, until you get there and need assistance with something or god forbid disagree with they way things are run. I know this seems like a blanket statement and it comes off like I'm a cocky person who thinks they can walk into a school and demand how it's run, but talk to some alumni I think you'll here some echoes of my sentiment, or 4th year students.

I've heard the same thing from other people who transferred out as well. I realize that schools will try to push the positive aspects, but I'd prefer schools who are honest about student perceptions and don't need to hire stand-ins for promotional material.

I've heard the same thing from other people who transferred out as well. I realize that schools will try to push the positive aspects, but I'd prefer schools who are honest about student perceptions and don't need to hire stand-ins for promotional material.

Haven't had a problem yet. What did you need assistance with that they completely ignored?

Good luck with that. :thumbup:

Does DMU have a second campus?

I thought I saw in the interview feedback some people mentioned Oregon... and Hameltong's location shows as Eugene.

Just something that I've been wondering about.

Edit: It was Hameltong from Eugene, not EMT_DO.

If you read some of EMT-DOs other posts, he sounds incredibly bitter about everything in life. I have no idea what's the deal with him.

On a side note, The Firm is a really good back. Everyone go out today and read it.

That's what happens at ANY school. What the hell do you expect?? If you don't want to deal with the BS than just don't get involved with it. If you just go to class, study, and pass your exams then you don't really have to deal with anyone higher up, so you can just bitch with everyone else when you hear the stories. Or you can be involved with stuff and continue to TRY to change things. You'll probably be frustrated like the rest of us, but that happens anywhere. Every f-ing school is a business and that's how it's run. I hate it, but it's something you just have to deal with.

All right, enough of that. Now I'm all worked up, haha. Back to South Park!

Ok, let me try to clear the air. I had a great interview at DMU Everyone was uberfriendly and the facililties are amazing. I got grilled in with ethical questions and thought that I answered them quite well. In fact, with each school that I visit, I seem to think it is better than the previous one. There was nothing from the interview day itself that would make me not want to go there accept for the photo shoot. Yes, there was a photograpther asking students/actors to walk across a hall a particular way. One of the girls was the only person I saw that day in scrubs. This did bother me a bit as it seems like they might be misrepresenting the school.

Anyway, I suppose the whole experience is what you make of it. I however, have reservations, but I know that DMU can and will exceed some students' expectations. I am going to bury this in the ground, and will congratulate and wish good look to the people who post here trying to find others with the same interview day; the original intention of this thread. Thank you, good luck, and congrats!

That's what happens at ANY school. What the hell do you expect?? If you don't want to deal with the BS than just don't get involved with it. If you just go to class, study, and pass your exams then you don't really have to deal with anyone higher up, so you can just bitch with everyone else when you hear the stories. Or you can be involved with stuff and continue to TRY to change things. You'll probably be frustrated like the rest of us, but that happens anywhere. Every f-ing school is a business and that's how it's run. I hate it, but it's something you just have to deal with.

All right, enough of that. Now I'm all worked up, haha. Back to South Park!

:thumbup: :thumbup: Great post.

nothing to get worked up about.

What are you talking about?

I've only noticed the higher ups and professors trying to help the students out. Some more than others, but it's been great so far.

I must admit that I get suspicious when a new guy with 16 posts comes on SDN to talk trash on a program.

I wouldn't give this guy much credibility folks. Take it for what it's worth.

Ok, let me try to clear the air. I had a great interview at DMU Everyone was uberfriendly and the facililties are amazing. I got grilled in with ethical questions and thought that I answered them quite well. In fact, with each school that I visit, I seem to think it is better than the previous one. There was nothing from the interview day itself that would make me not want to go there accept for the photo shoot. Yes, there was a photograpther asking students/actors to walk across a hall a particular way. One of the girls was the only person I saw that day in scrubs. This did bother me a bit as it seems like they might be misrepresenting the school.

Anyway, I suppose the whole experience is what you make of it. I however, have reservations, but I know that DMU can and will exceed some students' expectations. I am going to bury this in the ground, and will congratulate and wish good look to the people who post here trying to find others with the same interview day; the original intention of this thread. Thank you, good luck, and congrats!
Concerning this...the day you interviewed, they were doing a photo shoot for the web site. Don't know why this "bothers" you. Most of us don't wear scrubs, except for anatomy lab/surgical lab/rotations etc. Don't get all worked up about nothing. Glad you enjoyed your time.

Concerning this...the day you interviewed, they were doing a photo shoot for the web site. Don't know why this "bothers" you. Most of us don't wear scrubs, except for anatomy lab/surgical lab/rotations etc. Don't get all worked up about nothing. Glad you enjoyed your time.

I was there too and every one with no exception was getting irritated with that photographer. A girl even apologized. She said that this guy will only be here for a couple of days and he is getting on everybody's nerves. It was a minor nuisance that did not take away from a great experience.
I am still waiting to hear. I called Rise on Friday and she said that the admission commitee is making a decision right now (Friday) and we would hear via email sometime in the begining of this week (either today, Tuesday or Wednesday).
I had an excellent experience even though one of my interviewers put me in the spot by asking me how I felt that I was abandoning my profession. I did expect that question so I didn't freak out or anything and I know it was her job to make sure I was serious about medicine and that I was a good fit for the school. I did not get offended by the question and it did not affect the rest of the interview. Sometimes when one person sets the tone the rest of the interviewers follows that way but it didn't happen.
Overall, I really like the people and the school there.

Yes, there was a photograpther asking students/actors to walk across a hall a particular way.

I might not be a doctor, but I play one in the bedroom...

Seriously though, those photos on Websites and Admissions Handouts have to come from somewhere.

just to clear some things up about the photographer... I was one of the students who was in the "shoot" (if that is what you want to call it---they just asked students to be in some pictures for their publications--the current pictures are starting to get dated) Nobody told anyone what to wear or anything. If you happened to see a girl in scrubs--then that is just what she wore that day--she probably just got done with lab.

It is hard to only be at a school for one day and see things one time and have to form opinions about them. I can understand why the photographer was annoying (just be glad it wasn't you who had to walk across the hallway a billion times!), but as far as people's dress that day--it wasn't orchestrated to portray the school one way or another. I think the photographer wanted that hallway to seem busy or something--we thought that it was funny because there are only so many student that go to school at DMU and it not like we all walk across that hallway at one time--unless class just ended, I guess.

but, that, is just the business aspect of any school-- the photos have to come from somewhere...

I was there too and every one with no exception was getting irritated with that photographer. A girl even apologized. She said that this guy will only be here for a couple of days and he is getting on everybody's nerves. It was a minor nuisance that did not take away from a great experience.
I am still waiting to hear. I called Rise on Friday and she said that the admission commitee is making a decision right now (Friday) and we would hear via email sometime in the begining of this week (either today, Tuesday or Wednesday).
I had an excellent experience even though one of my interviewers put me in the spot by asking me how I felt that I was abandoning my profession. I did expect that question so I didn't freak out or anything and I know it was her job to make sure I was serious about medicine and that I was a good fit for the school. I did not get offended by the question and it did not affect the rest of the interview. Sometimes when one person sets the tone the rest of the interviewers follows that way but it didn't happen.
Overall, I really like the people and the school there.

OMWRN, That's great news. So, we should get an e-mail early this week!