DMU-OMC Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We've come a long way this this trend.... :D

swdave, I'm not sure whether or not you'll see this, but have you decided on DMU or you still waiting for AZCOM? Just wonderin'

Members don't see this ad.

Kid, my brother always told me that he used his calculus book as a bullet-proof vest. I don't know, I think 8-mile and liver noise is pretty ghetto.

Katie, it is ok to date second years though... ;) ;) ;)

JP, I think the MI phenomenon at DMU is in large part do to the fact that MI is a very DO "aware" state. Very strong DO presence there, so more students see DO schools as an option. I bet most all DO schools get a lot of MI applicants. Just my opinion though. Also, if you look at the list of sites where you can do your "required" DO rotations, there are at least 4 or 5 sites in MI that are affiliated with DMU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kid T, if you have any interest in Emergency Medicine or Trauma... get to know some people at Detroit Recieving. In my opinion, DR is one of the BEST places for ER experience... very busy!!!
I interviewed for a pharmacy fellowship at their ER. It is a 93 bed ER (thats huge) with 2 jail cells in the ER. They do not have security guards... they have cops with loaded weapons. CRAZY!! But, because it is WSU affiliated, it isn't always the most DO freindly place... they also get a lot of U of M snobs that rotate through there. DR will give you ER training that you can get at maybe three other city hospitals in the US. For what its worth....

Josh, what do you need with a lowly first year? Don't you have plenty of women from DMAC, AIB, or Drake looking to land a doctor to finish off their MRS degrees? :p

Thanks for the info Josh.... Geez, how did you become so well verse and knowledgable with all these info? Simply amazing... :cool:

I've been using the "hi! What's your name? by the way, I'm going to be a doctor!" line every time I go out... it just doesn't work anymore. I think the general public is onto our terrible lifestyles and decreasing pay.
So, I figured I would try the, "Hi! Whats your name? By the way, I'm a second year and can teach you everything you need to know!" line. I figure it should work until you all figure out that we are all really faking it and all have mental problems leftover from the first year.... :D :D

18th page BABY!!!

Okay, back to my NBA Finals!!! Lakers are leading :D

See Katie, even JP can see that I have all of the information that you first years will need to succeed!!! ;)

Hello everyone! I also will be at DMU this fall! I have been following this forum for awhile and have finally decided to join in. I am glad that everyone asks so many questions because it answers a few of my own. I had a question for kidterrific. I was wondering if you are living at Sun Prairie? I finally, after many problems, got an apartment there. It is a lot more then I expected to pay, but I like the place and the area. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Josh, you really need to go to UNI in Cedar Falls sometime (my undergrad). 13,000 students, 60 - 70% female. Some of the girls were impressed if you could breath. A friend of mine went up to a girl in the bar and said "so I got new socks today." Apparently it worked for him. I'm sure you will be answering a ton of questions for me eventually, all-knowledgable-one, but right now I think my questions have been answered (thanks to JP). I'm trying not to worry too much about next year right now, not that is working but I'm trying. :)

Katie, thank you for the insiders perspective into the femme psychy... us men need all the help we can get with that area! I'll be coming thru Harlan in a week, you gonna be around? I gotta catch a flight in Omaha. You got a lot of single (and very desperate) friends? I'm really not that pathetic... but first year does do something to one's manhood!

Dragon, welcome!

Sorry to disappoint you Josh but I am flying out of Omaha myself early Tuesday morning and am not returning until August 1st. As for my friends, they don't live in Harlan anymore. In fact, you are closer to my friends than I am b/c they are in Ames and Iowa City.

Members don't see this ad :)
DRAGONFIRE!!!

Thanks for joining in!!! and WELCOME TO SDN as well!!!

Hey, KidT,.... Answer dragonfire's question will you?

We all most definitely have to find someway to identify ourselves when we all go for orientation.....

Katie, do you realize that you're the only female in this discussion? Just hit me... when Josh made the comment.... :D I'm a little slow but I get there....

LAKERS WON!!! Woohooo!!! Alright.... till later....

Dragonfire, glad you found a place.... you won't be one of those people who'll be arriving during orientation without a place yet....

Later peeps :cool:

It is alright JP, as a biology major, I got used to hanging out with guys most of the time. I guess I started to blend in afterwhile, maybe that is why I cut my hair short. ;) I have a picture buried on a disk somewhere if that helps with identification.

Katie, you seem to be very good natured and good humored.... I'm glad :)

For those of you wondering about the weather.... it is most definitely HOOOOOTTT today!!! 87 degress.... but I heard the tides will turn again....

To my future classmates and colleagues.... Did any of you folks look for alternative funding sources such as the NHSC and HPSP? If so, care to discuss it? :D

Popoy I am with you in questioning some of those alternative scholarships. I guess the thought of borrowing so much money and then trying to pay it back before I am 60 is scary. Most of those scholarships seem to focus on individuals willing to work in family practice in an underserved area. While neither of those options turn me off I don't know if I am willing to make a commitment to go into something, like family practice, if I haven't experience some of the other field. I could be completely confused about the whole alternative scholarship concept, so information from others would be welcomed! By the way does anyone know how many people are in our class? I know two other people who are also attending and was curious to see how many other people I will have to fight with to get a parking spot, ha, ha. :D

You're most definitely right about your argument there dragon.... That's why it's making me think twice pursuing such alternative funding programs....

I think there's about 200 students for the college of osteopathic medicine, alone.... Yikes, you're right, we definitely have to scramble for parking....

On the other hand, you don't have to worry about ME!!! I live right across the street, so parking is not going to be necessary for me.... It's just a walk.... :D

I guess that makes it 199 others to fight for parking spots.... :D :D :D

Does anyone know if Parking is a problem in DMU? I sure would like to know..... though I won't be using it often.... if at all....

:cool:

Thank you, JP I hope I have a good sense of humor, sounds like I'm going to need it. By the way, I'm sorry to hear you and your wife will be apart but Chicago isn't too far, better than Alaska :)

I have a question about loans and such. I have some undergraduate loans that need deferring, we do that during orientation, correct?

Oh yeah, hello Dragon, pleasure to meet you! :D

Thanks Katie, like you said, it's better than Alaska :D

According to Student Services, we'll get all of our financial aid information and anything of the likes during our orientation... so, YES, you are correct!

I'll double check though.... I'll be around campus tomorrow so I'll swing by Student Services and Financial Aid office to find out more.... I'll post up what I can find.

:cool:

You all should know by now that I don't get on this thread until after the wee hours!!!!! Haven't you all LEARNED?!?!?!

Dragon -
I sympathize with your problems, but right when I was about to secure an apartment, those fools, and I sincerely stress the word FOOLS, went back on their 'promise/guarantee' that I would get an apartment there. They told me I couldn't rent an apartment there unless I paid 100 dollars more than what they (Travis and Theresa) offered me. Theresa then went on to explain that for the same amount, I could get a two bedroom there (but there weren't any available, so I should just pay for a two bedroom and get a one bedroom).

I nicely pointed out that I was promised an apartment at my rate, and she said to me: "I don't mean to be rude, but I promised you A place, not THIS place. However, if you want, I can keep looking for you." Being the peacemaker that I am (Ghandi would love me), I told her that if their maintenance/managment people were anything like their ill-advised, *****ic sales team, I would rather sleep on the streets of Des Moines, and that she could, as the French say, besez mon derriere.

Those bastards. I ended up getting a place at Colonial Village, pending a credit check. Hope it's cool.

Just wanted to share this with you folks.... I'm a reading a book called "Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School" by Melvin Konner, MD.

I am not one to read tons of books.... just finding time to read them. Anyway, is what he called:
The Four Laws of Medicine
If it's working, keep doing it.
If it's not working, stop doing it.
If you don't know what to do, don't do anything.
Never call a surgeon unless you want an operation.

19th page.... getting closer to COMP's!!! :D

I was looking at our class schedule for this upcoming academic year.... It seems as if they start us slow and then WHAAAAM!!! BAAAAMM!!! Thank you MAAAM!!!

The most will get a 5 class at a time.... In the month of October we have Anatomy, a bit of Biochemistry, Histology, Psych/Beh Med, Medical Hum and Bioethics, and OMM.... YIKES :eek: but this doesn't include the other classes not mentioned such as BLS, Medline, ICCM....

So here's the question:
How does are the BLS, Medline, and ICCM incorporated into the first year curriculum?

Geez!!! Look at second year schedule!!!

WE all this systems base curriculum and on top of that we have to take ACLS, BLS Recert, Neonat Lab, Ophth Lab, ENT Lab, Basic Surgical Skills, Intor Clinical Prob Solving I and II....

Here's another question:
Where do they plan to fit all this other stuff into the systems based? How are we suppose to study for the boards with all these classes we're taking? :eek:

Just curious, I'm not stressin' :cool:

KID--
I thought that may also be the situation with you when trying to get an apartment at that place. I also dealt with Travis when I first came down to Des Moines to find a place. I thought that he was just being a jerk because we were females or something.

I think that I also looked at the place you are living in. It seemed nice, but they didn't have any available at the time. If I lived closer to Iowa I may have gone down again to look around some more.

Does anyone know what are schedule is like in terms of do we go basically 8-5 everyday? ;)

Dragon, did you find a place to live?

The funny thing about my place is that it seemed nice from the pictures I saw on the internet. I never got a chance to go back to Iowa and see it. I live too far away and didn't have the time. You have the luxury of knowing what your place looks like. My suggestion?

If you can get out of your lease, try calling around. People have given their notices by now, and openings are available. When I called CV, they told me that a woman JUST BROKE HER LEASE THAT MORNING, and that I was about to get the only available apartment they had.

Katie,

Her'e the scoop on your undergrad loan deferment.... I went to the financial aid department and they told me that you should contact your loan lender and ask for an application for deferment and explain that you will be continuing your education via medical school. They should send you that application without any hassles. Fill out that deferment application and then bring it to orientation. The person in the financial aid office specifically said to turn it in during our class registration.

Okay, I hope that helps....

KidT, did you want me to check out your apartment complex to see if the place is any good, at least from the outside? Let me know, I can probably swing by and see what it's like....

I'm meeting with Dr. Bryan Larsen, Dean of Research @ DMU, I guess he might not have any positions available for me during the summer but is still interested in what I can possibly offer them.... geez, another interview.... :eek:

Later peeps, JP

Schedules: BLS, medline, etc are one time afternoon sessions that take a few hours at most and are usually in the afternoon. You will start with history of OMM & biochem - history of omm is a week long and then you start histology. Not all the courses are going on at the same time. First year OMM is Monday afternoons and labs are mondays & tuesdays. Ethics is Wednesday afternoons. It seems like a lot, and it is, but courses start and stop through the semester so you're not taking 5 classes at one time. You typically have weeks where you're busy every afternoon with scheduled things and then some weeks where all you have are morning classes. Typically you're in class 8-12 each day and then afternoons (except for OMM lecture/lab and ethics, which are continual afternoon commitments) you might have 1 other thing or nothing. A month into it, you'll be into the groove and the routine becomes fairly regular. You'll also get a schedule with every day's scheduled course on it so you can plan a week or so in advance.

1 of 200.... Your screen name sounds like BORG!!! I'm not sure if your familiar with Star Trek.... Anyway....

WELCOME TO DMU Class of '05!!! :D

Thanks for that bit of information, so I guess I have nothing to worry about regarding those courses being all crammed in like that....

Can any of my upperclassperson care to share a sample of their schedule when it was really hectic? Thanx in advance

dragon.... I just realize this... you're female... Hey, Katie, now you're not alone among guys.... :D

As my mentor, the Ladies Man, would say... "oooohh! Its a lady!" Welcome Dragon!
Where are you from?

Care to share some thoughts on parking? Dragon wanted to know whether or not parking is much of a problem.....

Jp, I think 1/200's summary was right on. The only time that got really bad was a two week period when biochem, anatomy, and histology all overlapped with a lot of tests. Otherwise its usually class from 8-12 everyday with lab or other stuff in the afternoons.

Parking is NOT a problem!!! you can always find parking on the third floor of the ramp next to the tower medical clinic.

Josh's 5th Law of Medicine (surgery): The enemy of good is better!

Well, JP, I figured there would be a few females going to DMU in the fall but it is nice to know for sure ;)

And thank you for the info on the deferment papers. I think I have them somewhere, I guess I should probably dig them up.

If you want to see a sample schedule go see the registrar on 4th floor.

I believe that my class ('04) is about 60% female, 40% male. so you will not be alone Katie! Have a great summer by the way and enjoy some relaxation!

JP, did you get to meet with Dr. Larsen yet? I am kind of curious myself to see what kind or research project they have going on. I'm hoping to get something going with the surgeons here, but we'll see if that pans out!

Just 4 more days for the class of 2004!!!

1 of 200: Thanks for the info... I'll pass by the registrar some time. R U a first year student? or higher? Any suggestions about my approach to Dr. Larsen?

Josh: WOW!!! 4 more days.... Enjoy the vacation. I like that fifth law, BTW :D Josh I haven't met with Dr. Larsen yet.... I got a scheduled appointment for an interview this Wednesday.... wish me luck.... Thanks for the info as always.... You lucky dude, so how's it feel like being almost done with your first year? Feel anymore like a medical doc?

Katie: You're welcome... Let me know if you or anyone else needs any info that I could possible run....

KidT: Surprised me with the phone call this morning.... Sorry if I sounded a bit dazzled.... Guess what happened? I looked up the address to CV and I thought "Hey, it's in 42nd street" so I decided to do a jog/walk.... Holy $h1T, I got to the northern most part of 42nd street in Des Moines and there was NO SUCH PLACE!!! :eek: ... So I quickly ran back home. I just got back and looked it up again and CV is actually in West Des Moines.... Ergo, I didn't get a chance to see it yet.... But I will... I'll let you know what I think. It wsa a nice jog/walk though.... I'll post up later....

It's sooooo HHHOOOOOTTT!!!! 93 freakin' degrees.... Look on the bright side, it's sunny.... No pun intended :D

JP, you must really enjoy research considering your curious nature. I was never interested in research, I barely tolerated chemistry labs.

Josh, it doesn't suprise me that you would have the male to female ratio memorized :) And I will have a great summer but I don't know about relaxing. Camp is far from relaxing but that is part of the beauty of it.

JP, you have to interview for EVERYTHING at DMU! Most of the time it is just a sheet of paper that you need to fill out and hand in.
You have to interview for all TA sositions, club positions, admissions committee...

Bring your research material with you when you go to meet Dr. Larsen. Give it a quick overview before you go in so if he asks you any questions you know what you've done.

JP, you obviously haven't figured out that they let a monkey choose how to name the streets here! Every little district of desmoines has its own numbering system so that no one street matches up with its nighboring district.... no wonder these des moines drivers suck, they are always trying to figure out where they are!!!

Research isn't my thing really.... but working on something over the summer is. I did research as an undergrad for 3.5 yrs... Did I enjoy it?!! Absolutely, I think a part of it was the people I worked with.... Thus, I want to see what DMU offers and what I can offer to them.... Enough research talk.... I'll let you guys know what'll happen with my meeting with Dr. Larsen....

I'll take your advice to heart, Josh... The only problem is that I have the original copies of my research in California... But I do have a copy of it in my computer.... somewhere. I'm sure I won't get any type of work in the research department.... I think I'll treat this interview/meeting thing as more of knowing more of what DMU has to offer....

I guess, the street naming thing does baffle a lot of people.... I should be more careful.... Even the street numbering was off.... One block had 1339 and the next house across the street was 1344 the house next to that was 1347.... Do they know how to count or are they planning on putting a house between houses?!! :D I thought that was an interesting observation I found.... I still like it here.... for now... :D

JP, I remembered something I was going to suggest for your wife and yourself. If you are looking to ever kill an afternoon, you should check out Advetureland in Altoona. It is way cheezy but they have a few rollercoasters and some other interesting rides. It isn't a Disney World or Six Flags but it would be better than watching the grass grow :)

Po - don't worry about sounding dazzled on the phone. I have that effect on everybody. ;)

Thanks a million for looking out. I forgot to mention that it's in West Des Moines. Didn't I say it was somewhere near the hooters? Check your email - I'm sending you a link to the apartment information. Do me a favor, and make note of what kind of patio (if any) they have on the ground floor apartments (mine's on the ground floor).

Thanks, cuz - I owe you one!

It just occurred to me that everyone new that posts on this thread says something like: "I've been watching this thread for a while..."

How many other people are going to DMU and haven't posted anything yet? Who else is watching this thread? Let me know, dammit!

KidT,

I just checked out CV for you.... but didn't get to see your post prior to going. Very nice place.... Valley West Mall and other shopping and eating areas very near your place. As far as patio area.... I didn't notice any.... There were terrace type areas for the second floor folks....

The place looks relatively new.... Nice choice, very quiet neighborhood. There were several garage available for tenants... I'm sure you have to pay for it.... Swimming pool is available.

I'm not sure how it looks like in the pictures on the internet, but my first impression is that its a pretty nice place from the outside.

I didn't get a chance to go into an apartment.... so nothing to report on that one....

You have to travel about 10-12mins to get to DMU.... Nice pick!!! I hope the inside of the apartment is nice....

KidT, you're absolutely right, people seem to be watching our lovely thread here.... who else is watching?!!! Come out, come out, where ever you are?!! :D SHOW YOURSELVES!!!

Okay... Later dudes and dudettes.... :cool:

oh yeah.... Definitely nice talking to you KidT.... Can't wait to meet you and everyone in person.... Late :cool:

Kid T and everyone else living in West Des Moines: I'm sure that you are going to have a whole new vocabulary after the first snowfall and you have to drive 30 minutes to get to school with all of the des moines drivers! I know people that live ten minutes away (on a clear day) and it takes them 45 minutes to get to school with the way people drive out here! Be especially careful on test days!!!

all those of you just following the thread, post up! JP needs to hit a 1000 postings by the end of the week and needs your help!

Kid T, did you find your place by checking out all of the apartments near Hooters? :D