DMU-OMC Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL!!! Hooters... KidT said there's really noone good-looking there....

Yeah... post up already those lurking among the shadows.... I need to reach 1000+ post here... help a brotha' out!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

300... (patting myself on the back)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Any entering students considering surgery, anesthesiology, or radiology? Post-up with any questions!!!

This way I can have JP run all over campus finding information for me!!! ;)

SDNers, whenever I post a message it always takes me back to page one... is there any way to get it to just take me back to the most recent page?

Freddy, you out there...
scott, are you lurking around too...

LOL!!! Funny Josh....

Here's a question:
Why can't students volunteer at the Tower medical center?!! I don't see why not, it's there, and I'm sure students would like to do that....

Volunteer somewhere else. The Tower has med students that are rotating through there and to be honest, the really don't have that large of a patient load. So, there would be better places to go to get more hands on. Also, as a student, you are forbidden to even touch another students chart, so that knock out another % of their patient population.
When second semester starts, I'd shadow an FP in Des Moines if you really feel like it. You'll get to see a lot more and do a lot more... if their cool. I know Rachel likes the one she shadows.

Besides, you actually have to learn something before you start seeing patients!

True that!!! :cool:

It is now mandatory that whenever you come to this site and our thread is not in the number one position, you must post-up!

Alright... then I need to post because other's have posted over us.

Did anyone watch Becker? He's an FP... with a Junior high student shadowing him... They made it seem as if FP's don't get too much of anything, just a bunch of patients with a bunch of mediocre problems...

I didn't just want to post up without saying anything... :D :D :D :D

Bumperino!!!

WEll I am back to help DMU reach its goal of 1000 posts or whatever it is? ;)Promoting the unity of DMU students!

I am glad that I could come aboard so Katie wasn't the only girl, it was starting to look like she needed some support!

I would have to agree with the discussion about finding streets in Des Moines. The blocks around there are like 4-5 blocks around where I am from. Streets start and stop and start again miles away. Every street seems to have a name instead of a standard number which makes it even more difficult to figure out where you are. But I suppose it is only a matter of time till we all get it down.

Kid-Thanks for the information/advice about the apartment situation. I think for now I am going to stay there and if some thing better comes up I will look into moving then. This way I have a chance to get to know the area a little better.

I don't know who asked the question, but I am from a bigger town in North Dakota (But I guess they are all small compared to what everyone else may be used to!) I am currently living in Fargo, North Dakota...and no I am pretty sure we don't talk like the individuals in the movie FARGO. You don't know how many times I have been asked that!

There are three of us from North Dakota coming down. We are all very use to slow/bad drivers and nothing can compare to North Dakota winters. Snow is like a staple here!

So has anyone experienced the "look" you get when you tell someone that you are going to DO school? Kind of like the one in which people believe that you are going into to field that involves ritualistic bleeding or something. No matter what I tell them it just doesn't seem that they get it. So I have given up and tell them I am just simply going to a medical school. Too much work to get into details with people who haven't been exposed to or understand what a DO is. Enough from me already! ;)

Dragon... I was the one who asked about where you were from... I think...

I hear about explain what a D.O. is.... I'm from California and we don't get too much exposure to Osteopathic medicine around there.... I'm sure we'll learn about the merger in California when we read Norman Gevitz's book... Anyway, it's still a struggle to explain but little by little people are starting to know who osteopathics are....

Anyway, I think it's pretty much a part of being an osteopathic medical student for us to explain the profession.... I don't think AOA does a good job with the Public Relations.... Just my opinion of course....

I've responded both D.O. med school and med school, alone.... IT depends if I feel like explain, but it just so happens that I can't seem to shut my mouth when osteopathic medicine is brought up....

Another post for us!!! Yeehaw!!!

Here's a bit more info for those of you interested.... I called went to financial aid today and they said they're going to be working on the financial and that we should be hearing from them in the next couple of weeks regarding whether or not we've received any financial aid..... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It is about time that we hear from them! I would like to know if I am going to get all the money I applied for or if I will have to take more out from an alternative loan.

Popoy-did you get all your immunization titers done? How much did it cost?

Thanks for the support, Dragon :) I'm from Iowa, and you would be amazed by how many Iowans that have never heard of DMU or osteopaths, even people from Des Moines. It is really sad considering DMU is the 2nd school to be established and Des Moines has one of the few osteopathic hospitals (I think it Des Moines General is osteopathic). I'm getting really tired of people asking me why I don't want to be a real doctor.

I actually have health insurance still, I'll find out about the bill sometime this week.... I hope. I did all the titers necessary... Hep B, Varicella, MMR.... I'm suppose to get my results tomorrow. I'll let you know how much the Tower Medical Center charges, when I visit there for my results.

A lady named Brenda Schwechel is in charge of us all in-coming students.... She has helped me throug this thing.... She has the final word as to whether or not we've fulfilled our physical exam and immunization requirements. She's hard to get a hold of though, unless you visit in person....

Hope everyone's done there immunization.... You don't want that to be a factor in not getting registered for courses.... Later, peeps.... :D

YOu know what.... Katie is right.... When I had explained to a Des Moinean that I was going to the osteopathic medical school here in Des Moines I had to explain that its a university on Grand Avenue.... His response was... "Ohhh, that university.... What's an osteopathic doctor?" I practically almost fell down....

Why is that? It seems as if, Drake University is known but DMU is known as the "University/College on Grand Avenue."

Wow... the 22nd page is up... We're getting pretty close to Western/COMP's thread.... :D

Just amazed how much this thing had grown....

Here's a very important question:

Do many DMU medical students take the DMU health insurance? If not, then what other options do we have?

I have health insurance till next year (I hope - I'm still checking), but come next year I'm on my own regarding insurance.... Any thoughts?! Thanx....

Popoy-
the reason I asked the cost was because someone else had them done and she was total that it wasn't covered by insurance. It cost her $140. Hopefully that isn't the case. That is more money down the tubes.

I was reading some of your previous posts Popoy about what books we should get. Did you buy them yet? How many do we need? Basically how much I am really going to have to shell out for these books? I think in the budget it was something like $2600. Is that what we should expect to pay. Sorry for all the questions.

Sorry about the typos in my posts, I need to proof read more! :D I am still covered under my parents I believe until I am 25, get married, or quit school. So I am not going to get the DMU plan. Although it seems to be pretty decent when I was checking it out.

Has anyone thought about where they want to go for their 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations? Is anyone thinking about staying in Des Moines or is everyone planning to head out of state?

$140.... YIKES!!! :eek:
I really hope that won't be the case for me.... I'm pretty tight on budget. Thanks for sharing that... I'll make sure that they don't charge me... I hope.... :(

As for the books, the only book that the Matthews Bookstore ladies suggested is the Norman Gevitz'z "The D.O.: Osteopathic Medicine in America." They said that, it's a required book to read for one of our osteopathic class... Nothing else so far....

I'll swing by there tomorrow to see if anything is up yet... I'll also try and find out approximately how much we have to shelve out for books and first year materials....

I'll let you know tomorrow.... Unless other upperclassstudents have any thoughts on how much we have to spend..... Josh, IzlamicM, ryanpj.... Any thoughts on how much we have to spend on books and material for the first year?

Here goes another bump!!! Up top!!!

This thread is like a cancer! It grows too fast before I can respond to what people write to me!

Regarding the 45 minute drive thing in the winters - let me just say that I'm from DETROIT. Now, that doesn't make me immune to all the nastiness in the world, but it does one thing, and that's TEACH A BROTHER TO DRIVE IN SOME INCLEMENT WEATHER. I've seen snowstorms that make Fargo look like the Sahara. I've often felt like Rocky Balboa when he trained in Russia. If I can change, you can change, WE ALL CAN CHANGE!!!!

Oh, and it's a fact - HOOTERS is the best starting point in any town!!! ;) I'm sure the girlfriend would disagree, though!
:rolleyes:

Credit check approved - I'm glad that I have a place to call home. I'm even more happy that I have a dude to call homie (JP). Good lookin' out, my man, and I'll drop you a call when I set foot in the land where children of the corn isn't just a movie....

Well everyone, been lovely chatting with you. My ticket is confirmed and I'm packed (almost). I can't wait to see how many pages this thread has when I get back. C ya in August! :)

Have the best of times, and I'll see you in August! Email me when you get back for some beer!

Sorry folks, but it is a sad realization that on a good day, 1% of des moinians knows that DMU exists, 1% of Iowans knows that DMU exists, and 1% of the US population knows what a DO is. Get used to it! It is really sad that chiropractic medicine branched off from DO's (the guy who started chiropractic medicine was a DO from DMU)... everyone knows what a chiropracter is, yet 100+ years later no one knows what a DO is! Talk about a lack of PR!!!
Don't get me wrong, I love being a DO student, but I have fallen into the category of simply calling myself a "medical student."
If someone asks a specific question about osteopathy, I'll explain it to them... but until then I let it alone. This is just a personal thing.
I went into medicine to be a doctor... not an MD or DO.

Someone asked about Book prices... so I went to my shelf and started adding it up. It all really depends of what your background is. So these are the books that I bought:
Mosby's Physical Diagnosis: about $60-70
Robbins Pathology (book plus study guide... both very highly recommended): $100
Netters (anatomy): $70
Gartner's (Histo): $47
Wheater's (Histo): $57 (must have this)
Gilman (Neuro): $30

there is a book shelf in the bookstore that just has used books... check there first! If you get into town early... you will want to have first bid on the used books (1-2 years outdated is OK)... If you ever have questions, talk to the bookstore ladies... they will save you serious dough!!! They Rock!

Some other books that you may want to get your hands on...

Color Atlas of Anatomy ("the dead book", has pictures of cadaver dissection... Netter = picture perfect anatomy, dead book = real anatomy)

Clinical Anatomy... only if you can get it for $10-15

Harrisons... more of a textbook for your second year

A good medical dictionary is KEY... I got a free copy of Mosby's which thus far has worked out great.

Coarses that you DO NOT need to buy a book for:
Behavioral/Psych (teachers changed though so that may not be true)
Biochem
Ethics
OMM
Micro
Phys
Pharmacology

I would recommend (very highly) that you always buy the course handouts that they sell in the bookstore as most teachers follow these very closely. Budget about $150-200 for these (for the entire year).

Kid T, the problem isn't driving on snow... the problem is driving on snow with a hundred crazed Iowa drivers... there is a difference!

Things are changing... at least amongthe medical community, though. I was talking with an Ortho Surgeon back home who is a U of MI med grad... old school MD attitude. I was telling him that I was applying to both MD and DO schools. He said, " well, you should apply to the carribean schools too. It really doesn't matter where you go, as long as you graduate from medical school."
I told this to one of the DO's that works with him and he just about fainted with disbelief. So, the moral of the story is that if he can change, others can too!!

You think Detroit doesn't have its share of crazed drivers? Sheesh...

It's funny - when I was apartment hunting, they were asking me what I did. I puffed out my chest and said: "I'm going to DMU."

I got blank stares. They never heard of it. After some explaining, they said: "Oh, the OSTEOPATHIC SCHOOL?"

My brother still makes fun of me. :rolleyes:

HOOOTT DOGGGGYYY!!!

Josh, you ROCK dude!!!... Maybe I'll go start book hunting (Notice I didn't say buy) and check out the prices. Get the best deals before others :) ... Like you said, I'll ask the bookstore ladies about their opinion too....
First year med materials get pretty pricey!!! I guess that comes with the territory....

For my future classmates who want a copy of Netter's CD-ROM Anatomy, let me know and I'll see if I can copy it in my computer. I bought the CD when I took an Anatomy course at the UCDavis Medical School.... I guess I shouldn't be saying that with the whole copyright thing but what the heck!!! Free copies for everyone!!! :D

It is sad and frustrating... I feel your pain! In the end, it really doesn't matter one little bit what letters you have behind your name. As a DO, there is no area of medicine that you can't go into.
Do you ever get the feeling that the general public believes that there are only 20 medical schools in the US???
Get used to the blank stares. Thats why I just say that I'm a medical student... if they want to assume that I go to U of Iowa, I don't give a rats a$$. In the end I am going to be a doctor in whatever field of my choosing. PS, don't hold your breath waiting for the AOA to make the US aware of DO's.

I like the fact that DOs are the underdog. I always like being the underdog.

Actually one of the instructors I tutored for during undergrad years thought I was going to UofI when I mentioned I was going for medical school in Iowa.... Then I said.... "NO... I'm going to Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center"

He said, "Oh, I guess theres more than one medical school there."

I said, "Yup, I guess soooo."

That's it....

I guess on some level it bothers me, but in general, I really could care less if the general public realized that there are two different schools of medicine... as long as I'm getting reimbursed!
Besides, if we actually tried explaining what we are to the general public, 99% of them would walk away thinking were chiropracters. A lot of MD's think that, so why should we expect any better from the general public.
Thank you for letting me have my synical moment!

KidT, I'm with you on that one.... I like to be the underdog and show others I've made it into something they thought I couldn't make into... Did that make sense?!! Oh well....

It's like what Cuba Downing said in Men with Honor.... "I want to do this because someone else told me I couldn't have it"... Something like that...

Maybe for future reference we should just say that we attend the U of Iowa- Des Moines campus College of Medicine... ;) ;)
Just to avoid lengthy discussions, that is...

Katie... you're leaving?!!! :(

Later dudette... We'll see you in August!!! Have fun!!!

LOL!!! Maybe Josh is right.... Des Moines campus... I think the general public would buy that.... They've bought everything else.... :D

Got'zzz to go for the night.... My wife and I are watching either Enemy of the State or Three Kings... Huh?! Any good.... we'll see....

YOu folks MUST definitely watch Enemy of the State... if you get a chance.... Jerry Bruckheimer ROCKS!!!

I guess noone responded after I responded.... :D

Dragon,

I just noticed you question back there regarding 3rd and 4th year rotations....

Personally, I was hoping to be able to follow where my wife goes for her PhD. I wouldn't mind staying in Des Moines, but I'd rather follow my wife... It seems unfair for me to not even try that.... I want to try and spend as much time with my wife as much as I can.

So what states have other DMU students done they're rotation at? I'm guessing Michigan, Illinois, Iowa,... what else?

jsdmu your notes are ready. i can bring them wed or thursday. let me know which is better. you can pay me then - I'd prefer cash.

DMU03 are you the same person as IzlamicM? Just wondering....

Izlam, Wednesday at 11AM or 12noon (6/13)works for me.
Where do you want me to meet you?
Just pick a time and I will meet you there.
$250 cash it is
Just post-up letting me know when and where!
Thank you, Josh
Have a great day!

JP, here is a listing of DMU's affiliated hospitals and clinics:
Bay Medical Center (Bay City, MI)
Bi-County/Henry Ford (Warren, MI)
Broadlawns med Center (DSM, IA)
Cuyahoga Falls Hosp (Cuyahoga, OH)
Des Moines General Hosp (DSM, IA)
Detroit Riverview Hosp (Detroit, MI)
Doctors Hosp (Columbus, OH)
Doctors Hosp of Stark County (Massillon, OH)
Firelands Regional Health System (Sandusky, OH)
Frankford Hosp (Philadelphia, PA)
Garden City Hosp (Garden City, MI)
Grandview Hosp (Dayton, OH)
Memorial Hosp (York, PA)
Mercy Hosp (DSM, IA)
Metro Health Center (Erie, PA)
Mount Clemons Hosp (Mount Clemons, MI)
North Iowa Mercy (Mason City, IA)
O'Bleness Memorial Hosp (Athens, OH)
South Pointe Hosp (Warrensville, OH)
Southern Ohio Med Center (Portsmouth, OH)
St. John-Oakland Hosp (Madison Heights, MI)
St. John West Shore Hosp (Westlake, OH)
St. Johns Regional Med Center (Joplin, OH)
St. Joseph Health Center (Warren, OH)
St. Vincent Mercy Med Center (Toledo, OH)
Sun Coast Hosp (Largo, FL)
Trinity Med Center (Rock Island, IL)
Trinity North Med Center (Davenport, IA)
Trinity Regional Hosp (Fort Dodge, IA)
VA-Des Moines (DSM, IA)

So, basically MI, OH, and IA

This was the list that was given to our class, and I know that things change every couple years... but thats the list we were given.