DMU-OMC Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice to have a real time conversation with you guys last night.... I think you are going to be a great first year class! Five of you anyways!

Kid T, nice chatting with you... don't worry, that rash should go away in a week. ;) :D
Just kidding (people are a little too serious around here)... much love to my Detroit Player!!!

Giving a shout out to my peeps, Josh

Members don't see this ad.

whoo hoo!! :rolleyes: i'm part of this big party too!! see you all soon!! enjoy ur summer!

vietcongs,

WELCOME TO THE CLASS!!! Where you from? Did you find a place yet? :D so many things to share so little time.... :D

Later dude!!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you find out about DMU, vietcong?

after looking over the past few pages, i can see that popoy, kid t and jsdmu are the only people in this this forum..i thought our whole class was here with 400+ posts! u guys must be bored this summer :rolleyes: ..why not take a nice vacation while u have the chance?..i'll be in southeast asia from now until classes start..see u all at DMU!! :D

I'm from Kansas city, MO, but been in Iowa going to Cornell for the past 4 years..I'm driving from Cedar Rapids to Des Moines this afternoon..I have to take care of something with financial aid and also looking at an apartment Grand Colony..where are u all staying?

OOps! I forgot to say "welcome to page 28"!! :cool:

Well.... I'm actually staying in Windsor Terrace.... There's no more places here so you might not want to bother.... The owner as a waitlist going already. I was lucky to get a place because someone broke lease (due to personal matters).

Congratulations in getting accepted.... When did you find out? :cool:

Some person put this site up ranking the COM schools based on primary care.... Notice where DMU stands.... Is this true? I wonder how they came up with this statistics, if it's even legit. :cool:

Here's the site! http://www.amsa.org/programs/pcscore6.cfm

You folks might want to check it out.... DMU is second to the bottom.... of something like that as far as people going into primary care, I think.... Anyway, it's there for your viewing pleasures :D

Welcome, vietcongs - WUZAAAAAAA!

That doesn't surprise me at all about the rankings. Med schools are ranked on how much research dollars they get (usually), which is why Hopkins/Harvard usually lead the pack and why DO schools don't (ever hear of a DO school doing hella research???).

So when they rank schools by % FP, they are ranking the number of graduates that enter a FP residency. One thing to remember is that FP is the EASIEST RESIDENCY TO GET INTO. Oftentimes, students are forced into this residency because they weren't qualified to match anywhere else (not everyone, but there are students forced into this scenario, as well as FMG's). If there's a low percentage of students that are entering FP, that means that they are qualified to do other specialties!!! This is good news!

KidT,.... lookin' on the bright side :D

That's my sentiments about the website as well...

I guess I'll find out today how much research opportunities there are in DMU. Dean Larsen decided to move our meeting at 1:00pm today so, jsdmu, I'll tell you later what I think....

Hey guys, I impressed with the number of posts that have been put together. I've been enjoying my summer before I go to officer training. I just finished my thesis yesterday. Oh yeah!
I was going to say that I looked over the AMSA rankings that you are referring to and for DMU I think that for 67% of the students their status is unkown in regards to what specialty they have taken.
Thus, take this particular ranking with a grain of salt.

Popoy, how much did it cost you for your titers? I found out that the Navy is going to give me a bunch of vaccinations so I won't have to foot the bill, but I will have to pay for those titers.

I will talk to everyone later.

Green007

I just visited the clinic and the person in charge decided to take a leave of absence AGAIN!!!! Apparently, her daughter is sick and it's pretty much unpredictable as to when she'll be back....

I will most definitely post up how much the titers cost once I find out.

Glad you've taken time off before Officer's training.... Let me know how it's like when we meet in August.... I've heard that its a wonderful, team building, leadership experience... So definitely enjoy your time there. I heard the Marines do the officer's training. :D

Later,
JP (My real name if you haven't seen it) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
My meeting with Dr. Larsen was absolutely great....

DMU offers so much in regards to doing research and he told me that DMU students get first dibs on spots before they give positions out to other undergrads in other colleges around here.

For those of you interested in doing research during summer, you have to get a hold of him during February.

Now, if you want to do research during the year, all you have to do is make sure it fits into your schedule. He said he's seen students unable to balance the class time and research.... So you have to make sure you really want to do this.

The pay is absolutely nil... to nothing.... minimum wage only. The experience though is very valuable.

Dr. Larsen, personally invited me to see a demonstration and red ribbon cutting ceremony for the biomechanics lab in the tower clinic.... I went there this afternoon and took a glimpse of it.... An AWESOME SIGHT!!! :eek: An entire room that computer generates motion (I'm not too sure about the specifics).... I'll find out more this friday.

He expects me know to come by when I get use to the first year schedule. He even invited me to hang around the lab whenever I'm ready so that I can get use to it.... After that, who knows... I might just pursue research next summer.... He's opened the invitation.

Why isn't DMU doing enough to promote such a good research facility? During my tour of the campus during interview, I heard nothing except "Oh yeah, they do research there."

DMU should definitely incorporate the research aspect for for prospective students.... It's mind boggling the stuff they do there.... DMU ROCKS!!!

The more I hang out on campus, the more I find out about the opportunities available....

In short, Dr. Larsen is very approachable, welcoming, and a definitely a good person to be dean of research....

Later peeps,
JP :cool:

The next person I'm going to try and get a hold of is .... Bryan Heiderscheit, P.T., Ph.D.

Any thoughts about this professor? He seems very enthusiastic about his research.... I'm gonna see if I can hook it up with him and hang out in his biomechanics lab :D

Come, they told me, parapa... BUMP, BUMP.... :D ..... Me and my drum.... BUMP, BUMP, BUMP.... :D

JP, there are several reasons that students don't do research: TIME (you don't have enough of it), most students don't see it as nesessary for getting into a residency, and a lot of people go to medical school in hopes of avoiding working in a lab.
Why doesn't DMU promote the research that they do? Dunno ("don't know")
I think that in general, all DO schools are starting to get the idea that we need to do and be involved in research.
As pres of the Surg Club, I am working hard with Dr. Reed to get research going. I may be doing a retrospective study with one of the residents this summer... I'll know more Friday.
This is also one of the big problems with not having a true "University based hospital"... we don't get to do much clinical research. At least from the surgical perspective, thats changing :D

Green mentioned the 67% of "unknow" specialties of DMU grads... I don't know the accuracy of this number but my guess is that that is pretty close. This 67% MOST LIKELY represents those grads that matched for MD residencies, in which case, DMU does not follow them. I am trying to get that changed, but it has to do with some old school AOA garbage ("red tape").
Also, if someone chooses to follow in the DO way, they MUST do an "intern" year, in which case they are usually labeled as FP until they match to another specialty.

Josh... Thanks for the insight as alway....

So you're planning on a research project huh?! Need any help? :) Seriously.... :cool:

The "intern" year.... is that usually done after the four years? or do some people just completely blow it off?

The next posting will be the 29th page....

If you want to get a DO residency, you MUST do a DO intern year. Some programs will allow you to interview for your internal medicine (DO) residency when you apply for the Internship. So, you say for instance you want to do IM at X hospital. you do an intern year and then two years of IM. It may happen though, that you have to do an intern year at X hospital and then have to reapply at another hospital to complete the remaining two years of training.
Compare this to the MD route: you match to an IM program striaght out of med school. They may call your first year your "intern" year, but you are officially an IM resident.

All of this is done AFTER you graduate from medical school.

Are you getting the picture why more and more DO's are going for MD residencies?!

hey gang, I was spying on the COMP page and found this:

----------------------------------------

DMU/Class of 2005
The DMU posts a quickly catching up to us..what is that crap about?

I know it sounds petty....but let's kick their asses!!!

----------------------------------------

Its, me again... the sad thing is that they are in southern cal and they are still typing away on their computers. We at least have an excuse for being on SDN all of the time... We're in Iowa!
So, lets woop it up for DMU guys and kick some pompous cali butt!

BTW, anyone out there know where I can download a free copy of tetris? Sorry, but I never got past atari!

So Kid, you got a girl? Is she coming out here with you?

To all of the gang and the rest of the sideliners, I realize that it may seem like I am bashing the DO system. This is not the case... I simply wish it was a little less confusing! I love being a DO student and I love DO's... otherwise I wouldn't be going here! I believe that many of you incoming students will run into much of the same frustration and confusion that I have.... I sincerely hope not, but more than likely it will happen. I myself am doing what I can from the student perspective to alleviate some of this... but it is a daunting task.
Much Love, the misplaced detroit player.

Huh!!! I guess COMP wants competition!!! :D

We'll give them a run for their money!!!

Josh.... I gotta hand it to you.... without you and others that are in DMU already this thread would go down pretty quick!!!

I gotta give you a SHOUT OUT!!!

Whoop it up for jsdmu!!! WWWWHHHHOOOOPP!!! :D

So, in retrospect, it seems like our osteopathic medical schooling is really 5 years.... counting the intern year...

I am I getting it right?!! :D

Haven't watched basketball in a long while but my wife and I are really enjoying the NBA Finals.... So I suggest to some of my classmates to take a break, watch a couple of NBA games and call me in the morning :D

This post is dedicated to inviting those DMU students that are in special scholarships....

I'm inviting you so share your knowledge about how it's like to receive the IHS, NHSC, HPSP, etc....

I'm not sure whether or not they'll see this but I sure would like some of my questions answered from DMU students... :cool:

whats up poppy? fancy meeting you here! Not much of a basketball fan myself... hocky is my thang.

Say you want to do IM, either way you go (DO or MD) it is still three years. It is just that the first year in the DO world is somewhat more seperate from the other two years.

There are those that do a DO intern year then apply to an MD residency. Some MD programs will credit the entire year others only six months, and others won't accept any of that time spent during the DO intern year.
Each program sets its own rules.

I did learn some more about some of the changes that the school is making for our 3rd and 4th year, but I'm going to hold my comments til I learn more... sorry JP!

Share it bro' when you find out.... :D

You know me and my curiousity.... It need feeding :)

Lakers won again... 100 to 86....

Not much of a basketball person myself... I just started this summer.... I'm more towards tennis.... yeah, tennis.... it was my sport in high school :D Been doin that ever since.... Help me lose weight... :D

Hockey sounds good.... maybe I'll start on that one.... :)

When does the season start for hockey, anyway? :cool:

WELCOME TO page 30... yeahhhh baby!!!

So.... I think I get the whole DO intern thing....

Are there other things I should be aware of.... like which states take COMLEX and which ones don't.... I plan on just taking the COMLEX.... Is this going to limit my options as far as after I do an intern and go into my residency?

Thanx as alway... :cool:

whoop whoop!!!

Louisiana is the only atate that I am aware of that does not except the COMLEX... but, I think that did changethis year... need to double check that one.

If you are planning on doing DO training all the way, then you only need to take the COMLEX. For MOST MD residencies, they will accept the COMLEX. For the competetive MD residencies, the USMLE is highly suggested. For the VERY competetive MD residencies, USMLE is an absolute. It also depends on the institution and how much exposure the've had to DO's.

To graduate from DMU (or any other DO school), you must pass both parts of the COMLEX.

tennis... hmmm... :rolleyes:

I think there's a thread in the forum somewhere saying that DO's are NOW welcomed in Louisiana.... I'll try and look it up for you....

Here's the article that some person screen name "drusso" posted in the Everyone Forum with the subject "DO's in Louisiana"

Louisiana Medical Board Recognizes Osteopathic Medical Exam and Establishes Parity Between D.O.s and M.Ds.

(Chicago, IL)—The osteopathic profession achieved a victory in Louisiana as the state board of medical examiners voted in support of granting full licensure to D.O.s who have completed the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination-USA (COMLEX-USA), or the earlier exam of the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners, and present certification from a board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. This rule change also makes it possible for osteopathic graduates, who have taken the COMLEX-USA, to participate in the state's residency programs.

As the issue of full licensure received approval, the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) worked with the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (LSBME) to amend the state's Medical Practice Act. Legislation was enacted establishing parity between D.O.s and M.D.s by including D.O.s in the definition of a physician. The revised definition states that "A ‘physician' means a person who is the holder of an allopathic (M.D) degree or an osteopathic (D.O.) degree from a medical college in good standing…" It further declares that "Doctors of allopathic medicine (M.D.) and osteopathic medicine (D.O.) shall be accorded equal professional status and unrestricted privileges in the practice of medicine." In addition, the state medical board updated the definition of osteopathic medicine.

According to Nancy Bellemare, D.O., president of the Louisiana Osteopathic Medical Association (LOMA), these decisions could not have come at a better time. "The LOMA and the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) firmly believe that these changes will provide opportunities for many D.O.s to provide quality care in a state drastically short of physicians," stresses Dr. Bellemare.

Prior to the medical board's decision of recognizing the COMLEX-USA, fewer than 100 D.O.s practiced in the state. Under the new rules, the AOA expects to see this number increase to 150 D.O.s within the next two years. "As the number of D.O.s grows, the LSBME will understand that the standards established by the osteopathic medical community in the areas of education, training and testing are equal to those of the allopathic medical community," Dr. Bellemare adds.

The American Osteopathic Association represents more than 47,000 osteopathic physicians, promotes public health, encourages scientific research and is the accrediting agency for all osteopathic medical schools and health care facilities.

I think it's pretty legit... but I didn't double check.... That's a pretty big step if it's true.... :cool:

"accepted" and "welcomed" are two very different things... ;)

What are your plans jsdmu.... regarding taking COMLEX and USMLE? Just wonderin' :cool:

You're going for surgery (possibly - as you are entertaining the idea) so it must be to your advantage to take the USMLE if you want more options, correct?

at this time I am planning on taking both... not just for surgery, but to keep ALL of my options open. I'l decide difinitively next fall. Just going to enjoy my last 48 hours of school right now!!! :D :D :D :D

Wow... 48 hours of school.... Must be feelin' good right about now.... better if you were really out already....

Aren't you suppose to be doing some studying? :D

just pharm baby! Its all good!! :cool:

:eek: it's all good for you!!! :eek:

It must be a walk in the park there, bud!!! :D

BTW, where are most of the first years classes located any way?.... I don't see traffic that often when I'm on campus.....

Don't bother answering that last question... I got a copy of Class of 2004 schedules....

According to your introduction to pharmacology syllabus.... you had a test on the thirteeth and then the final comprehensive test (NBOME Shelf Examination) is this fifteeth.... interesting.... they actually give you guys an entire day off....

Anyway, just bumpin this one up.... :D

Where has everyone gone? post up peeps... :cool:

ohhh... here's something to do for you Class of 2004 after your test.... You might want to watch Lara Croft, Tomb Raider.... nice graphics, nice action flic, nice (you know what) ;).... Just a suggestion :D

I didn't notice you're previous posting until now, josh.... I guess you are right... welcomed and accepted are two different things.... But, look on the brightside, it's a move forward :cool:.... another thing is I'm not looking forward to practicing in Louisiana. :D

I guess no night owls tonight.... Maybe tomorrow you can respond to a topic I was talking to Dr. Larsen about.... See next post.... :) which will start page 31.... :D