DNP certification exam equal to MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Article is over a year old...this is the test that half of the DNPs failed when they attempted it. Thought I heard they scrapped the plan after that.

I can completely understand how that happened. The study habits of many graduate students in nursing is nowhere near that of pre-meds and med students. If anything, the undergrad BSN students I tutor study more like the pre-meds than the grad students do. I'm talking about hour upon hour in the library, study groups, pouring over notes and outlines, etc.

My current theory is that the common thread is working while in school. Where I am now, the undergrad BSN is full time (and somewhat accelerated). Very few of the students work, and few of those work more than part time.

In contrast, my MSN program has very few students who don't work, and many work full-time. Every assignment, exam, and clinical requirement brings howls of dismay due to conflicts with work schedules, child care, etc (this is entirely on-line didactic). I have fellow students who are scrambling to complete our paltry clinical hours (<250hrs this semester) due to having tried to schedule around work requirements and other obligations.

I would be very surprised if the DNP students discussed above actually scaled back their work hours and dedicated several weeks to sweating over this exam. I don't know what the results would be if they did, but I would certainly hope that this level of study effort could get a pass rate better than 50%.

I would be very surprised if the DNP students discussed above actually scaled back their work hours and dedicated several weeks to sweating over this exam. I don't know what the results would be if they did, but I would certainly hope that this level of study effort could get a pass rate better than 50%.

Except that this exam was supposedly loosely based upon the USMLE Step 3 (the easiest of the three exams), which most doctors take during intern year, or early in residency, when working 70+ hours a week. We don't get weeks to sweat over the exam either, but still manage a 97% first time pass rate.

Except that this exam was supposedly loosely based upon the USMLE Step 3 (the easiest of the three exams), which most doctors take during intern year, or early in residency, when working 70+ hours a week. We don't get weeks to sweat over the exam either, but still manage a 97% first time pass rate.

This is the key point about step 3. I didn't study whatsoever, didn't pick up book 1, and passed handily. I'm not even that great of a student, my first 2 steps weren't stellar at all.

If you want to practice medicine, you should be able to pass this test. Period.

This is the key point about step 3. I didn't study whatsoever, didn't pick up book 1, and passed handily. I'm not even that great of a student, my first 2 steps weren't stellar at all.

If you want to practice medicine, you should be able to pass this test. Period.

Well then, I'll go with my back-up theory. Conspiracy, dirty rotten physician conspiracy.

I honestly had it in my head that the exam was based on Step 1, and thus had a modicum of pity for my would-be DNP overlords.