DNP (doctor of nursing practice) vs. DO/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regardless of what he was arguing there, I pulled this jewel of a quote from there

"Physicians, are afraid that patients will discover that the care we provide is equal to that of physicians."

Hmmm... Im not quite sure what to think about this statement. Im not sure what he means and I do not want to take it out of context. But it seems pretty straight forward as far as comments go.

Any Thoughts?
Physicians aren't "afraid" of midlevels. The problem is that there's not a single study that shows that NPs/DNPs provide equal care as physicians. There are a lot of studies that measure useless metrics like patient satisfaction, etc, and the NPs/DNPs extrapolate from that useless data to say that they provide care that's equivalent to that of physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are two trends here from the NP doctor wannabes:

1. That an MD is meaningless

and

2. That we are greedy

Funny how people with a degree you can get two years past a GED who want to charge doctor's fees are accusing the Doctors of being the bad guys.

Who out there is actively working against nurses trying to play doctor? Who is lobbying on our behalf?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I sense a great deal of fear and ignorance in many of these comments.
When I complete my DNP degree I will have had an education that entails the following;
I possess a formal degree in Orthopedic Technology and worked in that field for four years prior to admission to nursing school (despite my 4.4 GPA, work experience was required for admission to my associates degree program).
2 years of prerequisites + 2 years associates degree nursing school = ADN, 2 additional years of education = BSN (Summa Cum Laude), 12 years of emergency and critical care nursing (CCRN certified) + 4.25 years of graduate school = Doctorate of Nursing Practice degree. After graduation, I will be in a residency that is not funded by taxpayers (Medicare), rather an employer will provide me with one to two years of supervised practice before I am considered fully prepared to independently perform.
By the time I am practicing independently as a nurse practitioner I will have accumulated 30,000+ hours of patient care time in the most challenging acute care settings. ER, CCU, ICU, MICU, CVL and orthopedics. I am the nurse that residents hope is available to help them not kill their patients...
And for the bigoted, immature participants out there, I played college basketball (6'7") and have been married for over twenty years, raising three children while fighting for my education.

So please make an attempt to understand the milieu to which you speak. Divisive, narcissistic, and ultimately ignorant comments do not move the science of health care forward.
:)

I sense a great deal of fear and ignorance in many of these comments. You should celebrate the advancement of nursing education. Smart physicians have always welcomed and preferred working with smart, prepared nurses. Many of you seem to have a borderline personality disorder with a disproportionate sense of self-worth related to the aquisition of a medical school education. Something you should consider a privilege.
When I complete my DNP degree I will have had an education that entails the following;
I possess a formal degree in Orthopedic Technology and worked in that field for four years prior to admission to nursing school (despite my 4.4 GPA, work experience was required for admission to my associates degree program).
2 years of prerequisites + 2 years associates degree nursing school = ADN, 2 additional years of education = BSN (Summa Cum Laude), 12 years of emergency and critical care nursing (CCRN certified) + 4.25 years of graduate school = Doctorate of Nursing Practice degree. After graduation, I will be in a residency that is not funded by taxpayers (Medicare), rather an employer will provide me with one to two years of supervised practice before I am considered fully prepared to independently perform.
By the time I am practicing independently as a nurse practitioner I will have accumulated 30,000+ hours of patient care time in the most challenging acute care settings. ER, CCU, ICU, MICU, CVL and orthopedics. I am the nurse that residents hope is available to help them not kill their patients...
And for the bigoted, immature participants out there, I played college basketball (6'7") and have been married for over twenty years, raising three children while fighting for my education. Most nurses do not come from the privileged background a majority of medical students enjoy.

So please make an attempt to understand the milieu to which you speak. These types of divisive, narcissistic, and ultimately ignorant comments do not move the science of health care forward.

I sense a great deal of fear and ignorance in many of these comments. You should celebrate the advancement of nursing education. Smart physicians have always welcomed and preferred working with smart, prepared nurses. Many of you seem to have a borderline personality disorder with a disproportionate sense of self-worth related to the aquisition of a medical school education. Something you should consider a privilege.
And for the bigoted, immature participants out there, I played college basketball (6'7") and have been married for over twenty years, raising three children while fighting for my education. Most nurses do not come from the privileged background a majority of medical students enjoy.

So please make an attempt to understand the milieu to which you speak. These types of divisive, narcissistic, and ultimately ignorant comments do not move the science of health care forward.

Impressive, wow.

:thumbdown:thumbdown

1.)Get off your high horse.
2.)If you can openly admit you are not a physician I will gain some respect for you(just saying...)
3.)What does you being x feet tall, married, kids etc. have to do with medical education. I am willing to put up how hard I have had it going and getting into medical school vs yours any day bud and I bet MANY other medical students can trump us BOTH.
4.)There is a big difference in being the nurse to help stabilize vs the person who decides what makes a person live or die. You would be honestly the nurse I would want far far away from my patients because you appear to know it all already which is very dangerous.

To me it sounds like you tried to get into medical school or wish you were there? The DNP is the biggest mistake in healthcare currently because Pandora's Box has been opened and will never be shut.

E.
PS-If I seem a little pissed I am. There have been so many negative NP's coming onto the board insulting both med. students/docs and PA's alike. You start off by call us ignorant in your first post wth?

I sense a great deal of fear and ignorance in many of these comments.
And for the bigoted, immature participants out there, I played college basketball (6'7") and have been married for over twenty years, raising three children while fighting for my education.

So please make an attempt to understand the milieu to which you speak. Divisive, narcissistic, and ultimately ignorant comments do not move the science of health care forward.
:)

OK....first of all, just wondering how you accumulated a 4.4 GPA. Secondly, I appreciate your experience and I am sure it helps greatly with your understanding and practice of nursing.

That being said, there will be colleagues of yours who will come out of school with the same ability to practice nursing as a masters-prepared NP with no difference in scope of practice and potentially very little clinical experience and who are in no way required to do a residency. You may have no trouble practicing nursing independently, but it's them that I am concerned about.

Just to address one point you made further in your post, most of the medical students that I proudly call my colleagues do not come from this privileged class that you claim we all come from. Most of them, including myself, have either financed our education through loans or through the military and will spend a great deal of time paying those loans back. Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of working a job at the same time that we are in school, so most of us are forced to take out maximal loans to pay our living expenses. My debt load coming out of school will be $250,000 total (approximately $200,000 from medical school and the balance from undergrad). While it's great that medicare is footing the bill for my residency, understand that they are getting a great bargain paying $50,000 a year for someone working 80-100 hours a week ($12 an hour assuming the lesser of the two evils, 80 hours a week). All this while no doubt you will be working a relatively comfortable 40 hours a week with lunch breaks and everything, undoubtedly earning considerably more than $12 an hour.

I respect you for your dedication to nursing and your clinical experience, not those who skirt the system to obtain independent practice and the title of 'doctor' in the least amount of time as possible without the clinical experience and accumen needed. That being said, I would expect that someone who would like mutual respect to understand what I and other medical students have gone through and sacrificed for medicine - largely not the silver spoon that you framed above.

:thumbdown:thumbdown

1.)Get off your high horse.
2.)If you can openly admit you are not a physician I will gain some respect for you(just saying...)
3.)What does you being x feet tall, married, kids etc. have to do with medical education. I am willing to put up how hard I have had it going and getting into medical school vs yours any day bud and I bet MANY other medical students can trump us BOTH.
4.)There is a big difference in being the nurse to help stabilize vs the person who decides what makes a person live or die. You would be honestly the nurse I would want far far away from my patients because you appear to know it all already which is very dangerous.

To me it sounds like you tried to get into medical school or wish you were there? The DNP is the biggest mistake in healthcare currently because Pandora's Box has been opened and will never be shut.

E.
PS-If I seem a little pissed I am. There have been so many negative NP's coming onto the board insulting both med. students/docs and PA's alike. You start off by call us ignorant in your first post wth?

Good point, but the ICU nurse would also have to make crucial decisions as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
True I am wrong on that account. Just irritated with the NP bashing.

E.
I agree with you on this.

It's always funny to see NPs/DNPs start off their first post bashing physicians and then, go on to tell us how they're equal/superior to physicians even though they receive a fraction of the training that a physician does. Yup. Physicians are the arrogant ones. Not the NPs/DNPs who're trying to pretend to be something they're not. :rolleyes:

Edit: By "us", I didn't mean to suggest that I am a physician. I was referring to "us" as the general SDN populace. In case anyone misread that sentence.

Last edited:
Um...irony, anyone?
Kaushik-Man its only going to get worse when we finish jeesh.
Blue Dog-I know. He is the 6ft 7inch boogey man(wondering what that had to do with that inflated 4.4GPA he recieved. Grade inflation at its finest.) Also do you talk to people interested in FM through mail here? If soI have some questions for you sometime.

Kaushik-Man its only going to get worse when we finish jeesh.
Blue Dog-I know. He is the 6ft 7inch boogey man(wondering what that had to do with that inflated 4.4GPA he recieved. Grade inflation at its finest.) Also do you talk to people interested in FM through mail here? If soI have some questions for you sometime.
As a future physician, I've already decided to never hire an NP/DNP. Irrational? Maybe. Generalizing over to the entire NP/DNP population? Definitely. But their leadership and the vocal NPs/DNPs have absolutely disgusted me with their ridiculous statements so much that I just don't want to deal with NPs/DNPs in the setting I practice in. I'd rather work with midlevels who didn't spend the majority of their time learning "nursing theory" and "nurse activism," etc.

I'll stick with PAs, thank you very much. Their training so much better than NP/DNP training.

Blue Dog ... do you talk to people interested in FM through mail here? If so I have some questions for you sometime.

I encourage you to post general Q's in the FM forum so that others may benefit from any discussion, but you can always PM me.

Kaushik-I made the decision against hiring NP's after hearing one of them saying that they knew MORE than a MD/DO due to having her Doctorate and having to do a thesis. This was after an Attending refused to discuss a case with her and wanted to speak to a Physician(I personally disagree with this due to it delaying care in some situations). This is when she went on her rant. Personally if the Doc wants to speak to a Doc I abide by his/her wishes.

That is where the dangers lie with NPs. They don't know their limits and will openly admit if you listen closely enough.

E.

Impressive, wow.

You mean impressed with himself, right? That has to be one of the most arrogant, self-promoting, and (for someone who must be around 40) immature posts I've seen in quite a while. He exemplifies the "divisive, narcissistic, and ultimately ignorant" traits he finds offensive in others.

And the 4.4 GPA? That's what you can get in high school for taking honors or AP courses. Grades from college are generally standardized to a 4.0 scale to compare apples to apples.

You mean impressed with himself, right? That has to be one of the most arrogant, self-promoting, and (for someone who must be around 40) immature posts I've seen in quite a while. He exemplifies the "divisive, narcissistic, and ultimately ignorant" traits he finds offensive in others.

And the 4.4 GPA? That's what you can get in high school for taking honors or AP courses. Grades from college are generally standardized to a 4.0 scale to compare apples to apples.

1.)I agree(that plus the whole I played college bb and I am 6'7 '' yada yada) and its the pot calling the kettle black.
2.)Again agree. 4.4 in college is grade inflation at its finest.

As a future physician, I've already decided to never hire an NP/DNP. Irrational? Maybe. Generalizing over to the entire NP/DNP population? Definitely. But their leadership and the vocal NPs/DNPs have absolutely disgusted me with their ridiculous statements so much that I just don't want to deal with NPs/DNPs in the setting I practice in. I'd rather work with midlevels who didn't spend the majority of their time learning "nursing theory" and "nurse activism," etc.

I'll stick with PAs, thank you very much. Their training so much better than NP/DNP training.

As someone in a leadership/administrative position I will continue to seek the services of the best clinicians for the individuals our organization serves. This includes MDs, PAs, NPs ect.

I will continue to refer clients/patients to MDs, PAs and DNPs of various specialties to fill various roles.

From experience, I know proper leadership often entails putting aside personal opinions and biasis.

True, so true EMEDPA.

I don't get you PsychNP. In some post you call us(PAs) desperate and in others your willing to work with us? I don't understand you? Can you elaborate why you go back and foth so much???

E.

As someone in a leadership/administrative position I will continue to seek the services of the best clinicians for the individuals our organization serves. This includes MDs, PAs, NPs ect.

I will continue to refer clients/patients to MDs, PAs and DNPs of various specialties to fill various roles.

From experience, I know proper leadership often entails putting aside personal opinions and biasis.
How will you know who the "best clinicians" are when you don't really have a lot of clinical training to base that off of? Assuming you're an NP (based on your screen name) and knowing that NP programs generally require about 500 hours of clinical training, what qualifies you to judge the clinical proficiency of PAs and physicians (both of whom have far more hours of clinical training than what the avg NP/DNP receives)?

Just curious.

How will you know who the "best clinicians" are when you don't really have a lot of clinical training to base that off of? Assuming you're an NP (based on your screen name) and knowing that NP programs generally require about 500 hours of clinical training, what qualifies you to judge the clinical proficiency of PAs and physicians (both of whom have far more hours of clinical training than what the avg NP/DNP receives)?

Just curious.

What qualifies the owner/general manager of a football or basketball team who never played the sport to have input in the players selected? You are a mature adult and know how business is conducted. If you don't you will soon learn when you work for a healthcare organization.

Clinical proficiency is rarely an issue. Most clinicians usually demonstate this especially if they have been practicing for several years and have good references.

Other common problem areas that may arise include dependability, availabilty, responding timely, patient satisfaction, flexibility, thoroughness ect.

I have had the privilege of working with some great PAs, MDs, and NPs alike. I try to be objective and look at multiple factors when referring a client to a clinician not just his or her "title".

Last edited:
I don't get you PsychNP. In some post you call us(PAs) desperate and in others your willing to work with us? I don't understand you? Can you elaborate why you go back and foth so much???

E.

Like I said earlier, personal biasis should play little or no part in the hiring process. If the individual meets the criteria then he or she "deserves a look". That goes for licensed and unlicensed staff.

I have had the privilege of working with several PAs. For the most part they seemed to be extremely thorough and knowledgeable.

I would not hesitate to have a PA work for our organization and I am being sincere by saying this.

Last edited:
1.)I agree(that plus the whole I played college bb and I am 6'7 '' yada yada) and its the pot calling the kettle black.
2.)Again agree. 4.4 in college is grade inflation at its finest.

I am thinking the real author is Kaushik tryin to make his point for the 100th time

I am thinking the real author is Kaushik tryin to make his point for the 100th time
I'm not Makati or the DNP student. I've been fairly open about my anti-NP/DNP-independence stance over the past year and I try to support the majority of my posts with objective measures (ie. classes in the curriculum, hours of clinical training, etc). There's no need for me to pretend to be someone else when I've already repeated myself a thousand times.

If you're serious about your concern, feel free to report those posts and ask mods to do IP searches along with my account. I won't take offense. Sock-puppeting is a violation of the TOS and being an asst. mod isn't going to protect me from any consequences.

I had to go start a central line for a NP the other night, pretty rewarding considering she calls herself doctor. I overheard a NP asking the pharmacist if Lisinopril had any effect on the kidney???? They are clearly equal! All of those nursing theory classes are paying off.

Last edited:
I had to go start a central line for a NP the other night, pretty rewarding considering she calls herself doctor. I overheard a NP asking the pharmacist if Lisinopril had any effect on the kidney???? They are clearly equal! All of those nursing theory classes are paying off.

And you were starting a central line FOR an NP because.....?

IKR....they should know how to put the line in, reason why its going in, the exact locations, all the adverse affects of misplacement with their eyes closed and hands tied behind their backs.

Because she couldn't do it. I guess she didn't learn that in her online class. Nurses practice nursing, Doctors practice medicine.

Last edited:
but the landmarks on the ACTUAL pt were very different from those on the online picture with no body fat and prominent musculature....

I am glad he or she didn't start the central line if he or she did not feel comfortable doing so. I have yet to see an NP/PA be compensated at the same rate as an MD.

JAAPA, 2010, reported the following data regarding the role of NPs/PAs in trauma service:

"The majority of responding trauma centers utilized PAs/
NPs in trauma resuscitation and in traditional tasks ofna surgical PA/NP (
Figure 1). A number of these facilities

reported that PAs/NPs performed invasive procedures such
as inserting chest tubes (38%), arterial lines (31%), central
lines (37%), and intracranial pressure monitors (7%). In
addition to caring for trauma patients, 55.2% of trauma
PAs/NPs provided direct patient care to nontrauma, critical
care patients. Only 7.5% of PAs/NPs utilized on responding
trauma services functioned as members on other specialized

rapid response teams (eg, code blue, sepsis, and stroke)."

I saw an ER physician stick an obese patient twice attempting to start an IV. He never got it started.

The nurse was successful in her first attempt.:laugh:

Last edited:
I saw an ER physician stick an obese patient twice attempting to start an IV.

hmm. go figure...I start maybe an IV or 2/month while our nurses do 10+/shift....wonder why they are better at it then I am.....I'm better at ej's though.....:)

hmm. go figure...I start maybe an IV or 2/month while our nurses do 10+/shift....wonder why they are better at it then I am.....I'm better at ej's though.....:)

Just my point EMED. It is generally not in an acute care facility's policies and procedures for nurses to start central lines.

I guess that's why they don't make the big bucks like MDs.

Furthermore, why they use the term "healthcare team".

Last edited:
Just my point EMED. It is generally not in an acute care facility's policies and procedures for nurses to start central lines.

I guess that's why they don't make the big bucks like MDs.

most places consider an external jugular to be a peripheral line and an internal jugular to be a central line....medics do ej's(that's where I learned to do them).
I am much more comfortable with femoral lines than IJ or subclavian....it's all about what you have practiced the most...
very few medics do central lines...seattle medics do subclavians but I don't know of any others that do...

most places consider an external jugular to be a peripheral line and an internal jugular to be a central line....medics do ej's(that's where I learned to do them).
I am much more comfortable with femoral lines than IJ or subclavian....it's all about what you have practiced the most...
very few medics do central lines...seattle medics do subclavians but I don't know of any others that do...

Precisely my point. Thanks for the clarification.

I have no problems with a professional covering themself and staying within the boundaries of their scope of practice.

I saw an ER physician stick an obese patient twice attempting to start an IV. He never got it started.

Like I said nurses are better at nursing, Doctors are better at medicine. Why does it matter what you get reimbursed for a procedure, I thought NP's are more patient centered and want to save the world working in places MD's won't. When I do a procedure in a trauma situation, it's about saving a life, not getting compensated a certain amount. Have fun playing doctor, I hope they give you idiots equal rights, then the patients can sue your @sses along with the rest of us, you can pay outrageous malpractice costs, and give up to half of your income away in taxes. NP's cant even pass the step three exam that was watered down for them, now that's a joke.

I did them in Indiana before I moved for school and changed services.

Like I said nurses are better at nursing, Doctors are better at medicine. Why does it matter what you get reimbursed for a procedure, I thought NP's are more patient centered and want to save the world working in places MD's won't. When I do a procedure in a trauma situation, it's about saving a life, not getting compensated a certain amount. Have fun playing doctor, I hope they give you idiots equal rights, then the patients can sue your @sses along with the rest of us, you can pay outrageous malpractice costs, and give up to half of your income away in taxes. NP's cant even pass the step three exam that was watered down for them, now that's a joke.

If you can't start the IV how are you going to get the medicine in the patient's body?

Since you are an all knowing "doctor", try doing some surgery. You are not trained to do it, nor are you compensated like a surgeon.

I met clinicians who don't even want to draw blood for labs because of the low reimbursement rates.

Please.

Last edited:
If you can't start the IV how are you going to get the medicine in the patient's body?

Since you are an all knowing "doctor", try doing some surgery. You are not trained to do it, nor are you compensated like a surgeon.

I met clinicians who don't even want to draw blood for labs because of the low reimbursement rates.

Please.
PsychNP, I swear, sometimes I have no clue what you're talking about. Please clarify.

Also, if you want to pull out anecdotes, I'm pretty sure the rest of us can come up with a lot as well.

PsychNP, I swear, sometimes I have no clue what you're talking about. Please clarify.

Also, if you want to pull out anecdotes, I'm pretty sure the rest of us can come up with a lot as well.

My point was that allendo is not a surgeon, nor is he trained or compensated like one. Therefore, I do not expect him to practice as a surgeon. In much the same way I do not expect NPs to insert central lines if they are not required to so as per the policies and procedures of their institution.

My point was that allendo is not a surgeon, nor is he trained or compensated like one. Therefore, I do not expect him to practice as a surgeon. In much the same way I do not expect NPs to insert central lines if they are not required to so as per the policies and procedures of their institution.
Fair enough. And I agree with what you say here regarding procedures. Perhaps I was too quick in making an incompetency joke earlier. My fault.

Regarding knowledge, I do think that physicians expect each other to have a base level of knowledge, which the avg NP/DNP does not have. It's not outrageous to say that NP/DNP school does not cover basic science topics as deeply as med school does and that it does not provide as many hours of clinical training as medical training does. The obvious conclusion to draw from this is that the basic science/clinical knowledge base of NPs/DNPs is less than that of physicians. It is annoying, however, to hear nursing midlevels claim otherwise or even claim that they're superior to physicians.