Do Admissions Committees look more favorably upon applicants that stay with student hosts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You're My Boy Blue

Second Time's a Charm
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the advantage of learning more about the school and finances, are there any other advantages to staying with a student host? Do AdComs talk to the hosts about your stay as a way to judge you further? Or is it completely neutral.

Members don't see this ad.

Besides the advantage of learning more about the school and finances, are there any other advantages to staying with a student host? Do AdComs talk to the hosts about your stay as a way to judge you further? Or is it completely neutral.

I think student hosts are often arranged by staff or students who are not actually on the adcom, and all of my student hosts (and people who have served as hosts before on SDN) emphasize that they have no role in the admissions process.

I love staying with hosts so that I can meet more current students and save money, but if you would feel more comfortable in a hotel, staying or not staying with a student host will not make or break you.

The only time when I thought it was an advantage was when asked "Why X SOM?" in an interview. If I had stayed with a student host the night before, I occassionally expanded upon my answer with specific examples from getting to know people/the school that I couldn't tell just from the school's website.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I'm pretty sure at my school, the University doesn't even find out if we host prospective students. The student just picks a name from a list of hosts and emails the host directly.

Reactions: 1 user

Except in cases of gross unprofessionalism (ie theft/damage in the host's house, inviting friends over and having a party, doing illegal drugs, etc) your student host will have no impact on your admissions decision.

In 15+ years I've never known whether an applicant stayed with a host or not unless they volunteered that information and either way it has never factored into an admission decision although as stated above, it could, hypothetically, if the guest acted like a complete jerk.

I've had a few interviewers ask if I stayed with a host, and then ask me to explain why I didn't. Not sure if they were just making casual conversation, or if they were sizing up my extraversion/etc.

It's not an advantage with the committee, but it does help you get a better feel for the school and the student life there. I had a great student host experience. The day before my interview was the final exam day for the medical students. My host asked if I wanted to go out for drinks with them and I agreed. I was the only interviewee who went out to party with the students (apparently the other premeds wanted to rest/prepare), they gave me all kinds of tips and I felt extremely confident at my interview the next day. Got accepted to that school a couple of weeks later. So yes staying with a host can have certain advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users