Do any of you guys smoke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drmonti

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many pre-meds or medical students smoke cigs regularly. I don't, I actually never have touched a cigarette in my life, but I have always wanted to know if there was a significant amount of doctor-hopefuls that did. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't... I hate smokers, but I when I volunteered in the hospital, I was in the pulmonology department, and I saw one of the pulmonologists smoking outside the hospital... that was funny and ironic...:laugh:

maybe you should also be asking people if they are overweight or obese. both arguably as harmful to your health as smoking. and certainly cost the healthcare system as much :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a lot of pulmonologists who smoke :rolleyes: I also have a few partners (paramedics) who smoke. It just amazes me because these are the people (both the pulmonologists and the medics) who see smokers at the end of their life and see what smoking does, and yet they still do it. I realize smoking can be a stress release or whatever, but there are so many other things one could do to relieve unwanted stress :oops: Maybe it's just cuz I've never tried it...(not that I ever want to)

A lot of my dad's friends smoke. One time, one of his friends forget his pack of cigs(marlboro) at our house. I was a curious 11-year-old, so I lit a cigarette and smoked it in the back yard. I started chocking from the first puff...I threw the pack away and never touched a cigarette ever again.

I have nothing against smokers, but I hate it when people stand in front of a door and smoke. It pisses me off when I get a huge cloud of smoke coming at me while I leave the library..

Every once in a while when I've been drinking and someone offers. Rare, though. Maybe a half-dozen cigarettes in the last two years.

Sure is delicious, though. Relaxing, too. Yummy nicotine.

Not I. Never understood how people who truly want to be involved in healthcare could do it either. Maybe they're that self-righteous that they only care about the health of others and not their own?

i don't smoke regularly, but i love smoking when i'm drinking... maybe like a pack a month... sucks that columbus banned smoking inside bars...

only ~15% of smokers get lung cancer so its really not that bad.

Not I. Never understood how people who truly want to be involved in healthcare could do it either. Maybe they're that self-righteous that they only care about the health of others and not their own?

That's so hypocritical. You've never done ANYTHING unhealthy? Never drank excessively? Never gouged on fried chicken? Maybe you're the self-righteous one.

As with everything, smoking in manageable amounts has, *gasp*, some potential benefits! For one, smoking reduces your risk of Parkinson's disease.

Ritz B et al., Arch Neurol. 2007;64(7):990-997.

I just quit (almost 5 weeks--yay!:D) I've smoked on and off since I was 15. Quit when I joined the Army but then started up again b/c almost everyone I knew smoked. I know it's a nasty habit, but it's really hard to quit when everyone around you is a smoker. Where I grew up, EVERYONE smoked. And when I volunteered in the OR, I was surprised at how many medical personnel smoked. Although I must say, if I had to choose between smoking cigarettes and drinking for a stress reliever, I'd choose cigarettes (obviously, I don't drink, although I used to drink a lot on the weekends when I was in the Army.)

I'm glad I quit, though, b/c my insomnia is almost completely gone now.

Smoking is a horrible habit/addiction...there's never been a better time to quit than now. This is coming from an ex-smoker. Quit. It would be a huge gift to yourself and your family (present and future). Smoking, without a doubt, is implicated in causing cancer (yes, causation has been shown) and COPD, and stopping now can help in the prevention of these conditions. I don't see how any health care professional with any basic understanding of pathophysiology can justify smoking cigarettes. It's an addiction and just plain bad news for your health.

i don't smoke regularly, but i love smoking when i'm drinking... maybe like a pack a month... sucks that columbus banned smoking inside bars...

Yeah, I understand. It seems that many people do that. However, did you know that concurrent alcohol and tobacco use can significantly increase your risk for certain types of oral cancers?

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/alcohol_tobacco.htm

Just some food for thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
We're all going to die someday. Maybe i do it because i simply don't care......

As with everything, smoking in manageable amounts has, *gasp*, some potential benefits! For one, smoking reduces your risk of Parkinson's disease.

Yeah, I recently heard that. However, as with everything in medicine you have to weigh the potential risks with the potential benefits. I'm willing to bet that the potential risks here are going to outweigh the benefits. Also, it's an addiction, so moderation is difficult to attain. Besides, there is longstanding and concrete data that supports that smoking causes cancer.

We're all going to die someday. Maybe i do it because i simply don't care......

Thanks for personifying the general attitude of many patients today. Yes, but if there is a preventable cause of death, wouldn't it be worth considering prevention? Hmm? :rolleyes:

It's your life, though. Do what you will. All we can do is provide the facts.

I like smoking hookahs and cigars to blow smoke rings. It's fun =)

I can understand your point. However, please allow me to share something that occurred to a friend of mine. He didn't smoke or drink. He was the star of the school's track team and was a vegetarian. One night, he died of a heart attack. Point is, life is so random that you will probably never know where it'll strike you from. One morning you may be driving to school and be killed by a drunk jackass driving another vehicle. So, does it really matter?

I can understand your point. However, please allow me to share something that occurred to a friend of mine. He didn't smoke or drink. He was the star of the school's track team and was a vegetarian. One night, he died of a heart attack. Point is, life is so random that you will probably never know where it'll strike you from. One morning you may be driving to school and be killed by a drunk jackass driving another vehicle. So, does it really matter?

That's the whole fallacy. Yes, it matters. Your choices and action do matter. Naturally death can strike at any time and for any reason, or simply no reason at all. However, why tempt fate? Why would you want to facilitate death? I mean it's not refutable that smoking hastens death. If you continue smoking with that knowledge, you are having a sort of death wish, then, aren't you?

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy your life. Just make your choices consciously, knowing the facts and consequences of your actions. If you choose to smoke, then so be it. Just know that it can hasten death or prolong your suffering (which can be worse than death, in my opinion...I mean, have you seen someone writhing in agony from oxygen starvation in end-stage disease?).

I hate smoking and its a huge turn off for me as well. I also hate the smell of people who smoke like a pack or more a day. It's just disgusting.

Oh, and Im not sure if this is true or not, but I was told that hookahs and cigars are just as dangerous for your health as cigarettes. Does anyone know if that's true or not??

EDIT: so i guess chemdude heard the same thing

I was also a social smoker for a while during and after college. But when I was trying to get my ex-boyfriend to quit, I also quit and haven't touched it since then. But sometimes I really crave it :(

But when I do crave cigs I think back to all my classes right now - ever since we stared the cellular and molecular unit, almost every day we hear about how the biochem or the physio of a certain organ is affected by obesity and smoking. It's insane how much damage cigs do at even a molecular level. And that keeps me in check and keeps me hounding anyone I know that smokes. I have even done shadowing where docs have told the patient, that is both obese and a smoker, to cut out the smoking before he cuts out the food. You just don't realise how much damage both things are doing to you until you start to see the effects of it either physically, or better yet, on a smaller level when you start to see test results...etc.

Smoking doesn't only shorten your life, it also lowers it's quality. Just look at the horrible side-effects of smoking...

That's the whole fallacy. Yes, it matters. Your choices and action do matter. Naturally death can strike at any time and for any reason, or simply no reason at all. However, why tempt fate? Why would you want to facilitate death? I mean it's not refutable that smoking hastens death. If you continue smoking with that knowledge, you are having a sort of death wish, then, aren't you?

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy your life. Just make your choices consciously, knowing the facts and consequences of your actions. If you choose to smoke, then so be it. Just know that it can hasten death or prolong your suffering (which can be worse than death, in my opinion...I mean, have you seen someone writhing in agony from oxygen starvation in end-stage disease?).

No, i have never witness anything like that. I'm sure is not a pleasant sight though. As for the death wish part, i guess there's a lot of things i have to get worked out in my head before i start med school........

I hate smoking and its a huge turn off for me as well. I also hate the smell of people who smoke like a pack or more a day. It's just disgusting.

Oh, and Im not sure if this is true or not, but I was told that hookahs and cigars are just as dangerous for your health as cigarettes. Does anyone know if that's true or not??

EDIT: so i guess chemdude heard the same thing

yeah hookahs are one or two orders of magnitude 'worse' because you are smoking unfiltered tobacco. also, because it isn't harsh (if you pack it correctly and due to flavoring), people tend to take bigger hits and smoke more of it per sitting.

Oh, and another thing I hate about smoking is that it affects those around you and sooooo many smokers are absolutely oblivious / selfish / ignorant / whatever when it comes to this and it drives me crazy. They just stand around in a crowded area and blow smoke in everyone's face. Sometimes I just feel like ripping the cig out of their mouth and putting it out. If ya want to smoke, get the heck away from non-smokers to do it.

sorry for the rant.

Oh, and another thing I hate about smoking is that it affects those around you and sooooo many smokers are absolutely oblivious / selfish / ignorant / whatever when it comes to this and it drives me crazy. They just stand around in a crowded area and blow smoke in everyone's face. Sometimes I just feel like ripping the cig out of their mouth and putting it out. If ya want to smoke, get the heck away from non-smokers to do it.

sorry for the rant.

I hear ya. Working in bars/clubs where people smoke is very dangerous for your health (not to mention the loud music everynight, but that's a whole other thread). That's the reason why some states such as NY and Cali have banned smoking. I live in Atlanta now, and one of the biggest adjustments I had to make was getting used to smoking in bars/clubs again. I hate the smell of smoke in my clothes and hair after I leave a club.

Another rant:
I especially hate smoking now b/c it caused a lot of friction b/n me and an ex. I tried to convince him to quit smoking, especially b/c it made him smell horrible. I even told him how my uncle had cronic heart disease from smoking and died within a month of being diagnosed w/ an aggressive lung cancer. He didn't listen to me. :( Well, a fool is a fool.

Some of these people need to take a basic course in epidemiology. The association b/n smoking and cancer is one of the strongest associations in health statistics out there.

only ~15% of smokers get lung cancer so its really not that bad.

Smoking also increases your risk for cancers of the oral cavity, pharynx, larynx, esophagus, bladder, stomach, cervix, kidney and pancreas, and acute myeloid leukemia. Smoking increases your risk for other chronic illnesses such as heart disease and high blood pressure. It also ages your skin faster and affects your voice. You know you're right, smoking really isn't THAT bad! :rolleyes:

I have nothing against those who choose to smoke. They more than likely understand the risks and are free to do what they like with their own lives.

My huge problem with this habit is consideration (rather, the lack of). A lot of smokers seem to have no awareness of their surrounding and whom their habit is affecting. For example, few who go outside a building to smoke ever stop and ponder which windows/vents their second-hand smoke is going to drift towards (and thus whom they're going to annoy as a result). It is extremely annoying to have to constantly close one's window just because someone decided to smoke outside of it, especially when the odor itself acts as a premature, unwelcome alarm clock. Equally bothersome are those smokers who simply toss their butts onto the ground wherever they are. Not only do other people have to walk over a large pile of them, but it also forces the custodial staff to work even harder (try cleaning up 100-200 butts one by one off of mulch...)

I've long since gotten used to these things (thanks to college life), but even then, I would love to see them disappear. So, if you smoke, please please please think of others the next time you light up. It really isn't that hard to go out a bit further from the building and/or make sure that your butt lands up in the trash can.

Even if smoking hasn't been "proved" to cause cancer (and then you're just about lying to yourself), why take the risk if it does? It also causes other things, like emphysema.

Smoking gets old just like anything else, except it's difficult to just put it down.

It'll turn a lot of people off from you. It's a waste of money. Second hand smoke can also harm your children and family, and can make your child have to live with asthma for the rest of their life. It pollutes.

Really, cigarettes have nothing good going for them except for maybe stress relief. But I'd be willing to wager that in the long run they'll cause more stress than they'll relieve.

Both of my grandparents have smoked for 40-50 years, and my father smokes. My grandmother is having health issues because of it and began having difficulty breathing. She was told she had to quit, and for the most part she has, but you can still tell that she would kill for a smoke.

Even when (if) you quit, you'll still feel drawn back to it. You'll go through life wanting a smoke.

Why start? I mean it's your perogative, if you want to smoke by all means do. But ask yourself why before you do.

Cigarettes need to be banned. How a multi-billion industry can thrive on something that does nothing but slowly kill its consumers is beyond me. It's not even like the fast food industry, in that eating is necessary for daily function and survival, even if fast food has its detriments. The negatives of cigarettes (which are numerous) just about negate any positive effects of cigarettes (which are scarce, to put it generously).

I once did some research on the economic side of cigarettes, and millions or even billions of dollars are lost in productivity worldwide due to early deaths/diseases caused by smoking, employees taking smoke breaks, building of smoking areas/smoking facilities for smokers, second hand smoke and the like.

It's not just medical in nature, cigarettes are financially costly as well (to society I mean).

Haha, I like how this thread turned into the extended version of the surgeon general's warning.

I'm somewhat of a social smoker -- do it sometimes when I drink, and also whenever the mood strikes. It's one of the irresponsible things I like to do in youth.

Alright...who here saves their lungs for not cigarettes but maybe the gonj??

It'll turn a lot of people off from you.
How could I forget this key point? Most smokers have absolutely no idea how awful they smell (due to becoming desensitized to the scent) on a regular basis. I find it flat out rude when a smoker who has recently lit up sits next to me, as I can readily detect the smell and find it to be both intolerable and distracting.

Again, I'll be able to survive (for example, I have no problems finding a new place to sit during a lecture), but I will always wish that something would be done to put a stop to it.

Alright...who here saves their lungs for not cigarettes but maybe the gonj??

One of the surgeons I worked with was cracking jokes with the nurses about smoking pot way back in his college glory days. He looked at me and quickly followed it up with, "You leave that stuff behind in COLLEGE, you hear me!" This was while he was elbow deep inside a patient by the way haha.

In my opinion anyone who smokes is a *****.
Surprised no one has come up with the "oh my grandma is 90 years old and she smoked every day" argument yet.

thanks for adding your opinion to this thread

Most smokers get hooked when they're young. Grade 5-7. Are they *****s, then?

Grades 5-7? I don't know anybody who started that young! I know a few who started in high school, but most of the smokers I know didn't start until college.

Grades 5-7? I don't know anybody who started that young! I know a few who started in high school, but most of the smokers I know didn't start until college.

I believe most smokers start before the age of 17 which is why many cig ads are targetted towards young people. I personally knew a lot of people who started in middle school so that they could look "cool".

I've had friends who abused opiates regularly and smoked pot everyday yet they still got into medical school...they're crazy in my opinion. One of them even got caught abusing opiates yet he still got in..it makes no sense to me why they would let a drug abuser be a doctor. I've never touched pot or even a cig...but some of the current pre meds here smoke a good amount. I don't get why someone would risk their future just to get high...wow.

That's so hypocritical. You've never done ANYTHING unhealthy? Never drank excessively? Never gouged on fried chicken? Maybe you're the self-righteous one.

lol actually I'm the wrong one to accuse of that. I'm actually VERY healthy as i'm addicted to powerlifting and my diet is on point to nth degree (most of the time). Also, that comparison doesn't make sense. Excessive drinking on a consitent basis can harm you but going to the bar with friends once a month isn't going to basically kill you in the end. In addition to which drinking, and even hard drugs are things that affect JUST the user. Drinking doesn't cause atomic farts that can damage the lungs of anyone who breaths it in. However, walk around somebody smoking too many times and you might get cancer.

Nice, smoking affects the user as well as those who have no other option but to be around that person.

Wait, waittt a second. Did you really try to be PRO-cigarettes as if the pros outweight the cons? Noo couldn't be.

There are two major windows.

The first and largest is during middle school. The second is during college. Cigarette companies work hard to get the former addicted.

Ruc, nobody gives a damn how healthy you are. The government should not be in the business of banning substances that harm nobody but the person enjoying them. Secondhand smoke is no threat if you smoke outside and most places of business have laws against smoking indoors. We all have our vices (except you, who are the golden child), nobody has the right to tell people what to do to their own bodies.

I'm sorry for you friends death, that is no doubt an unfortuante lost.....but cmon dude, bringing up outliers and exception doesn't help the conversation. Its just like saying "well i knew someone who's grandmother smoked dope, was an alcoholic, and smoked a pack a day for 30 years, and she lived til she was 90!! See?? I'll be fine."

Also, being a vegetarian doesnt automatically mean you eat healthily. For all we know you friend ate cheese pizza all day.

YES, it does matter. Take responsibility for your life. Yes, there will always be things that you cant control (drunk driver, plane crash, car crash, etc). But thats not an excuse to ignore the things that you CAN control. What you eat, waht you drink, how you live....it all matters. Almost everything you do will have an effect on your health. No, we aren't all perfect and we dont always take the "healthy" choice but you should still be aware of what you are doing and know that if you make the choice to maintain life long, harmful habits...there will more than likely be consequences. The "i could die tomorrow from a drunk driver" is a lame excuse and a cop out for someone who is unwilling to put in the effort to live a healthy life.

As far as smoking cigs.....never. Ive done hooka once or twice, but am never gonna do it again. I did it b/c i wanted to try it, and as another said....its awesome blowing smoke rings.

never tried a cig.. and would never date a smoker....

Thread topics that may lead to people passing moral judgments onto others always bring out the worst in pre-med posters. Reminds me of the south park episode where they go to the museum of tolerance and learn to accept everyone but when the guy walks in smoking a cigarette, they all yell at him and tell him to go kill himself. Priceless scene. Reminds me of some of you kids :thumbup:

those of you anti-smokers are pretty on point, it's (obviously) a horrible thing to do to your body. however, i think that people have a right to make their own choices. outlawing cigarettes in the name of health sounds an awful lot like outlawing gay marriage in the name of "traditional" marriage. i'm always disturbed when lifestyle choices become laws and impositions. bans on smoking in bars and restaurants and offering resources for those trying to quit make sense, but i don't think it's fair to actively convince people to quit.

personally, i'd much rather have a doctor that smoked than one who is overly paternalistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.