DO Application Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnzymaticFuture

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Would a July MCAT still be considered early for DO schools?

Also, can someone give me a brief timeline overview for an early DO school application cycle? Do we need to turn in our MCAT scores and LORs to be verified?

Members don't see this ad.

The general rule of thumb is to have everything submitted (primary application, secondaries, MCAT, LORs, etc.) before thanksgiving.

Taking the MCAT in July would mean you receive the results by August, which is fine as long as you are scoring around your goal. Keep in mind that you can submit your primary application for verification prior to this time so be sure to allot time in between your study schedule to work on the application as well (it takes up to a month for an application to be verified.) Other verifications like updated MCAT scores or LORs are typically processed a bit faster.

Reactions: 1 user
The AACOMAS application will open up allowing you to enter your information in early May (dates may change). Here you can input everything you have from your experiences, personal information, research, grades/info of all the courses on your transcript etc. In your case, the MCAT scores would be sent in August but you could have everything else verified by that point which would be great.

Schools may not send you a secondary without your verified MCAT score since your application won’t be considered complete. However, once you get that in, you will begin to receive secondaries (assuming you meet the minimums).

Once your secondary application for a school is finished, your application file will be complete. From here you can be invited to an interview, deferred to a later screening, or declined an interview.

You can be pulled off a waitlist for a school as late as the week before classes begin at a medical school but hopefully you’ll know where you’re headed between August-February.

I’d suggest reviewing the schools you plan to apply to and their requirements/process to make things easier when it comes time to apply. @EnzymaticFuture

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply @Rusrus and @PapaGuava ! Do y’all know if there’s a MSAR version for DO schools or should I just do my research on each individual schools?