DO >>> Carib and all that

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Seth Joo I can't be bothered to piece out everything you've said in this thread, but please stop referring to federal grants as if they were personal income. I don't know anyone who has ever even looked at a research lab think that (and you shouldn't because it's completely misguided). Institutions take much of the money and place guidelines on its use (in addition to federal restrictions). Non-clinical faculty making over 200K a year is also reserved for high performers and leadership roles. It's not typical at any "normal" school.

A PI I used to do research for mentioned about the grant money he gets and yes, some of his salary comes from grants. He would tell me it is a difficult thing to know whether to use it for his salary or for his research. There is a cap set for NIH grants used for salary true, but I am sure his salary did not hit the cap (I don't even think his salary was at 100k, since he was an associate professor).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A PI I used to do research for mentioned about the grant money he gets and yes, some of his salary comes from grants. He would tell me it is a difficult thing to know whether to use it for his salary or for his research. There is a cap set for NIH grants used for salary true, but I am sure his salary did not hit the cap (I don't even think his salary was at 100k, since he was an associate professor).

Professors at Ivy League Universities make way more than 100k a year, in fact, at most of the more prestigious private schools salaries for tenured associate and full professors are over 200k a year. I know my school has among the top 10 compensated professors in the country. This is does not include the money many professors get from research grants which is considerable. Even non tenured assistant professors are well compensated. Also take into account that these professors have short work weeks, their primary responsibility is to write a research paper and they get three months off a year, its a good life.

I compare these Ivy League professors to my English as a second language Phd basic science professors at my DO school who are expendable laborers, its night and day. Life ain't fair.

Last edited:
I do not know about that, Midwestern University is actually very rich for a school with only two campuses, its annual turnover is over $228 million, they are flush with money. I was surprised that faculty salaries here are actually lower than that of my professors at my undergraduate university, in fact less than half of what my undergraduate professors earn. It boggles my mind that someone with a Phd in Biochemisty earns less than a Humanities professor but this world makes no sense.

Clinical faculty at DO schools work as volunteers, they get no compensation at all, while clinical faculty at Allopathic schools are very well paid.

It doesn't surprise me why I keep seeing new faces at my school all the time.

What's your take on the non-stop construction going on all over campus? The new vet school seems to have more facilities than the rest of the programs combined. There are currently two more building projects going on on the north side of campus too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What's your take on the non-stop construction going on all over campus? The new vet school seems to have more facilities than the rest of the programs combined. There are currently two more building projects going on on the north side of campus too.

It can be interpreted a few ways, in one way, its a good thing that they keep the campus as modern and state of the art as possible and in another maybe its too much and maybe they should add more to the current buildings rather put up new ones.

It can be interpreted a few ways, in one way, its a good thing that they keep the campus as modern and state of the art as possible and in another maybe its too much and maybe they should add more to the current buildings rather put up new ones.

I agree. I have to say I love AZCOM's campus. Beautiful, well-maintained facilities all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
AZCOM has very high turnover with regards to its basic science faculty, its because many professors jump ship and go to better paying universities. I looked up the salary data for full time associate professors at my school and it was a fraction of what professors earned at my undergraduate university. I thought it was appalling given its a medical school, but I saw professor salaries at many DO schools to be quite low compared to many MD institutions, at the MD school where I got my undergraduate degree the median professor salary is over 250k a year.

I was examining my school's balance sheet and its making some serious cash.

This despite administrators making 600k+ a year!!! Ridiculous.
The prof with just PhD usually don't make that much. The ones with MD or MD/PhD possibly do... I wonder how much these PhD prof make at AZCOM since you said some of them are struggling to make a car payment. I think you are being too dramatic!

because seth joo knows everything.. seth joo knows the professors' finances.. seth joo always speaks from first-hand knowledge

Reactions: 1 users
because seth joo knows everything.. seth joo knows the professors' finances.. seth joo always speaks from first-hand knowledge

I just know from my school that the faculty turnover rate is very high most professors are there for a few years then go elsewhere, at least the Americans are the ones able to leave for better jobs, the foreigners who have immigration issues or speak English as a second language are the ones who usually stick around for longer. You do not see professors like these at research allopathic schools and yes if you do your research you will find that professor salaries at large research universities are much higher.

My school, Midwestern U, tends to be one of the more generous schools when it comes to faculty pay, other schools not so much.

Professor pay at the major Ivy League and other prestigious universities(MIT, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke) tops out at over 200k if you account for 12 months, but professors are usually paid for 9 months.

Last edited:
The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, gullibility, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

That list runs the gamut. I'm guessing that 80+% of US students suffer from at least one of those.

Overbearing parents, I can believe.

But overbearing in a pathologic manner designed for student failure, not success.

And there are IAs, and then there are IAs. Pot possession is not the same as cheating on an exam.

That list runs the gamut. I'm guessing that 80+% of US students suffer from at least one of those.

Concur. My MD and DO colleagues make about 2x what I make. The avg salary for a starting PhD faculty (Assistant Prof) at a med school, at least in Physiology dep'ts, is ~87K. At my teaching-centric school, our starting PhD faculty come in around 70K. I'm making much less than the median full Prof, alas. But if a faculty member is struggling to make a car payment, they're not good with finances!

http://www.the-aps.org/mm/Publicati...MC-Medical-School-Faculty-Compensation-Survey

The prof with just PhD usually don't make that much. The ones with MD or MD/PhD possibly do... I wonder how much these PhD prof make at AZCOM since you said some of them are struggling to make a car payment. I think you are being too dramatic!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Overbearing parents, I can believe.

But overbearing in a pathologic manner designed for student failure, not success.

And there are IAs, and then there are IAs. Pot possession is not the same as cheating on an exam.

Asian American parents are the worst when it comes to being overbearing. One of the Caribbean schools was built by an Asian American dad. Interestingly his son built an Osteopathic Medical school in Colorado, RVU.