This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PersistentImmigrant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Uphill battle with those MCAT scores. If your third one show a TON of improvement I think you’ll be fine, but if it’s <500 your odds are a lot worse

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not an expert, but I would at least apply. Given that it is your 3rd MCAT, I don’t think you can expect to do a whole lot better. KILL your essays, shoot your best shot possible, and see if anybody bites.

If you get no love whatsoever, I’d look at alternate careers like DMU podiatry. They are a legit program! With your stats a small scholarship may even be possible.

Unless MCAT #3 shows dramatic improvement, you're quite a long shot. I'd apply even more broadly; include all the new schools. See what happens. I'm not encouraged regarding your chances of success in med school with your current stats, though.

College: Big-10 University. Indiana Resident

MCAT 4/2017: 490 (was sick during the exam. I know I should’ve voided but I had the thought process of “F*ck it” at that time)

MCAT 2/2018: 496 ( C/P: 124, CARS: 123, B/B: 123, C/P: 126)

Retook MCAT 4/2018: awaiting score

Major: Biology, Psych minor

ORM, Asian. Immigrated to the US at age 11.

sGPA: 3.41

cGPA: 3.37

Completed senior year with a 4.0 GPA.

Clinical: ~5000 hours of scribe experience. With ~100 of those hours scribing for a DO

Leadership: Mentor for 2 separate organizations, Vice-President for an organization, Representative for an organization

Volunteer: 70 hour hospital volunteer + 100 hour miscellaneous

Research: 2-year lab experiences. Co-authored 1 pending publication

Mission Trip: week-long international mission trip serving rural population in

LOR: 2 Science professors, 1 MD, 1 Research Advisor (and possibly 1 from a DO)

*Strengths: Strong personal statement, as described by multiple editors. My application focuses on diversity and serving underrepresented populations

Current List:

1. Marian

2. Midwestern-Chicago

3. Des Moines University

4. Ohio University

5. Philadelphia College

6. Philadelphia College - Georgia

7. Rowan University - NJ

8. Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace

9. Kansas City University

10. Lake Erie

11. Lake Erie Bradenton

12. Alabama

13. Idaho

14. Arkansas
I prefer to stay in the midwest if possible

Some of the school requires non science LOR as well. Let us know when you find out your new MCAT score. All the best!

If you've struggled that much on 2 tries at MCAT, medicine might not be for you. Competing against the best & brightest/whatever doesn't get any easier once you're in med school...

My suggestion is to apply to all DO programs. Well not MSU. But pretty much all of them. And come up with a backup plan. Like a long term backup plan. Like podiatrist or physical therapist or other healthcare field or get a masters or PhD.

If you have any application cost concerns, I’d remove CCOM, PCOM, Rowan and KCU. Unless you rocked your most recent MCAT (and maybe not even then), you’ll get filtered out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

And probably not DMU either, really high class stats

College: Big-10 University. Indiana Resident

MCAT 4/2017: 490 (was sick during the exam. I know I should’ve voided but I had the thought process of “F*ck it” at that time)

MCAT 2/2018: 496 ( C/P: 124, CARS: 123, B/B: 123, C/P: 126)

Retook MCAT 4/2018: awaiting score

Major: Biology, Psych minor

ORM, Asian. Immigrated to the US at age 11.

sGPA: 3.41

cGPA: 3.37

Completed senior year with a 4.0 GPA.

Clinical: ~5000 hours of scribe experience. With ~100 of those hours scribing for a DO

Leadership: Mentor for 2 separate organizations, Vice-President for an organization, Representative for an organization

Volunteer: 70 hour hospital volunteer + 100 hour miscellaneous

Research: 2-year lab experiences. Co-authored 1 pending publication

Mission Trip: week-long international mission trip serving rural population in

LOR: 2 Science professors, 1 MD, 1 Research Advisor (and possibly 1 from a DO)

*Strengths: Strong personal statement, as described by multiple editors. My application focuses on diversity and serving underrepresented populations

Current List:

1. Marian

2. Midwestern-Chicago

3. Des Moines University

4. Ohio University

5. Philadelphia College

6. Philadelphia College - Georgia

7. Rowan University - NJ

8. Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace

9. Kansas City University

10. Lake Erie

11. Lake Erie Bradenton

12. Alabama

13. Idaho

14. Arkansas
I prefer to stay in the midwest if possible

Have you taken the GRE?

IMO, this is a competitive PA application. If the newest MCAT is still below 500, I'd look into the GRE and start CASPA (PA application) while there is still plenty of time to apply and take it.

Just an option.