DO CHANCES: sGPA 3.21, cGPA 3.35, non-sGPA 3.61, MCAT ~25

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMedStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just want to get an idea of what my chances may be at a DO school.
sGPA 3.21, cGPA 3.35, non-sGPA 3.61;
MCAT (i dont have my score yet, but i think i bombed the physical section) ~25?
I signed up for a retake Aug. 7.

I have great LOR from DO, 2 science professors, 1 non-science, and an employer!
I have interned at a hospital for 300+ hours.
Shadowed MD and DO.
Involved in the community. Went to Mexico for clinic trips.
Did research.

I want to apply for this cycle. What are my chances?

My current DO-list includes:
- TOURO-CA
- COMP
- COMP-NW
- AZCOM
- PCOM
- TUNCOM
- ATSU-SOMA
- CUSOM
-ACOM
- PNWU
- WVSOM
- KYCOM

Can I add anything else to that list?

Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take practice exams? If so, what were your averages? I've read of quite a few people here on snd being accepted with a 25, but a 26+ could make a huge difference. I thought I absolutely bombed my PS too (literally wouldn't have been surprised if I got a 6), but ended up getting a 9...so who knows, there could be a favorable curve for you too!

Anyways, you will have the highest chance if you apply ASAP. Have you sent your primary yet? If not, try to submit as soon as you can with the pending MCAT. You can list just one school that you're not really interested in attending, for the sake of getting verified early. When you get your MCAT score, you can then add the schools to which your stats are competitive. It's really going to depend on the MCAT since your GPAs are on the lower side.

Your list looks good. I think you can only apply to one Western at a time? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that your application at one location will essentially be on hold until a decision is made at the other. They also like high MCATs, as does Touro. But hey, adding a couple "reach" schools is worth a shot! Just get your app verified and make sure you have a strong personal statement, and complete your secondaries quickly as well. :)

Did you take practice exams? If so, what were your averages? I've read of quite a few people here on snd being accepted with a 25, but a 26+ could make a huge difference. I thought I absolutely bombed my PS too (literally wouldn't have been surprised if I got a 6), but ended up getting a 9...so who knows, there could be a favorable curve for you too!

Anyways, you will have the highest chance if you apply ASAP. Have you sent your primary yet? If not, try to submit as soon as you can with the pending MCAT. You can list just one school that you're not really interested in attending, for the sake of getting verified early. When you get your MCAT score, you can then add the schools to which your stats are competitive. It's really going to depend on the MCAT since your GPAs are on the lower side.

Your list looks good. I think you can only apply to one Western at a time? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that your application at one location will essentially be on hold until a decision is made at the other. They also like high MCATs, as does Touro. But hey, adding a couple "reach" schools is worth a shot! Just get your app verified and make sure you have a strong personal statement, and complete your secondaries quickly as well. :)

Thanks so much for your response :D. I am not too sure about my average but I am submitting by the end of June. Writing my personal statement at the moment. I really hope I get somewhere!

For DO, the GPA is a little more concerning than the MCAT, but looks like your ECs are solid. Good luck!