Do DO school care greatly about researching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobe3mat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a 4th year student and just wondering does DO school really care about researching as your EC. I am currently very active in my church, and if given the opportunity I rather get a job as an EMT or something that gives me clinical hours and experience over researching. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

If I was you I'll take no chances. Do emt and part time research. Cover any and all bases. Take no shortcuts.

If I was you I'll take no chances. Do emt and part time research. Cover any and all bases. Take no shortcuts.
I don't know if this is necessarily the best advice. I would think schools would much rather see real commitment than a bunch of part time activities. I'm not sure if DO schools would care about research, as long as you had other real, long-term commitments. DO schools aren't really well known as research institutions (although some are), so I would recommend the EMT job if that's what you truly want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm a 4th year student and just wondering does DO school really care about researching as your EC. I am currently very active in my church, and if given the opportunity I rather get a job as an EMT or something that gives me clinical hours and experience over researching. What do you guys think?
The best advice I can give you at this point is to buff up your clinical hours. Seeing that you are a 4th year student, the likelihood of a couple of months of research really building up your resume is relatively small since it will be a short commitment. From the interviews that I had, schools seemed like they wanted to see if you were active in furthering your own understanding of medicine through shadowing, clinical exp, etc. That being said, most of the DO schools I interviewed at asked about research too. You really need to look at the mission statements and goals of the schools you are planning on applying to. Schools like DMU, KCUMB, PCOM and even MSU-COM, which have strong research programs, will want to see some interest in research along with clinical experience to see if you are a good match for the school. If it is possible to do both and survive your last year of undergrad, I'd try to do both in order to cover all bases. If not, then go with the EMT job since it sounds like something that you are more interested in. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful to you.

Bottom line ... if you aren't interested in it, don't do it. Admins at some DO schools like KCOM and PCOM see like 4k apps a year. This finely tunes their sense, and they can spot a half-assed EC from a mile away. If you do a semester of research, simply to slap it on your application because you think you "need" it ... it isn't going to impress anyone. However, if you really love working for your church, for example, and you're passionate about it, and spend a lot of effort on it, this is going to shine and give you a lot more cred, strike up more interesting conversations during the interview, etc, etc.

I agree with the above posts. Spend your time shadowing and trying to get clinical hours. I had zero research and hardly any volunteer hours, but had a bunch of shadowing and thousands of hours of clinical work as a tech in the ER. I only went to interviews at my top two choices, but none of the interviewers asked me why I didn't do any research or why I didn't have much for volunteer hours. However, they ALL commented on my shadowing and clinical hours. In fact, one interviewer at KCOM was relieved when he saw that ~90% of my experiences came from clinical work in the ER rather than volunteer hours in the hospital. At the same time I'm not saying that volunteer hours aren't important because they are, but keep in mind that quality>>>quantity. I attempted to volunteer in the ER at another hospital and that lasted about 10 hours before I stopped...carrying papers back and forth and stocking IV trays wasn't my idea of a quality experience. I had more fulfilling experiences volunteering at the Humane Society which is where I did the bulk of my volunteer hours.

Also, I should probably mention that the reason I didn't have much for EC's was because I was working 2 20 hr/wk jobs while taking 15-18 hours of classes...so I didn't really have a lot of extra time to do much. I just made sure that the jobs I worked were medically relevant.

How did you find out about the clinical work in the ER? Also, did you have to get certified to do that?

Thanks

You really need to look at the mission statements and goals of the schools you are planning on applying to. Schools like DMU, KCUMB, PCOM and even MSU-COM, which have strong research programs, will want to see some interest in research along with clinical experience to see if you are a good match for the school.

Not necessarily. I go to one of those schools you listed and I didn't have any research whatsoever. Some of my classmates did research, but many I know didn't.

Research plays a smaller role in your application to osteopathic schools than clinical experience does. I'd get as much clinical time as possible.

Not necessarily. I go to one of those schools you listed and I didn't have any research whatsoever. Some of my classmates did research, but many I know didn't.

Research plays a smaller role in your application to osteopathic schools than clinical experience does. I'd get as much clinical time as possible.
I stand corrected then. I guess they really only bring things like that up if you did it in order to see how committed you really were. I just know research and clinical exposure were brought up in all of my interviews, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else will have the same questions/conversations.

When do you graduate? If you can't really give that much time to doing a good research project (i.e., possible presentation or paper) then I wouldn't even bother. If you, instead, get a job as an EMT and put in a month or two of running with a company I would do that.

How did you find out about the clinical work in the ER? Also, did you have to get certified to do that?

Thanks
I just kept an eye out on job openings on the hospital's website. When I applied, there was no certifications required, but now you have to have either a CNA or EMT certification.

On average osteo schools do pump out less publications than allopathic ones (this may be a funding thing?) - so maybe along that logic one could say research is less important for DO apps...so tough to say -
....with a little googling you can see the quality of publications coming out of each school; for instance UMDNJ, PCOM, MSU etc have quality research being produced...these schools may especially note research experience and interest....[can anyone note others?]

Depending on time, my advice would be to pick one and stick with it - its tough to split your time between the two and have quality time in either (especially a research project, which usually can take >year)

Quality research and a publication or even an abstract can do great things for you...and depending on what you want to specialize in/ or do fellowship, a solid publication in a good journal is always a positive that can bolster your resume years down the line

hope that helps

Last edited: