do DO schools ignore really high stat applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
like this comment!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have a 3.85c/3.9s with no grade replacement and a 33 mcat taken once, but I have weak ECs.

I was wondering whether the DO schools will ignore my app thinking I wouldn't go to their school because my stats may be too high for their class averages?

Also, do DO schools give out scholarships to entice good prospective students to come like MD schools do?

Thanks

It may be considered since they may feel that you will be accepted elsewhere with such strong stats. Especially if you apply DO and MD.

DO's do provide scholarships to students but for the most part I haven't seen many DO programs provide half-ride, full-ride medical school scholarships out to exceptional accepted students like the MD counterparts. I've seen more fiscal awards given (10K for a student meeting a certain academic stats criteria).

How weak are your EC's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you shadow a DO, or get a LOR? If not, they may view it as a 'backup' option, especially if they are private DO schools (higher tuition).

Generally speaking, I think DO schools have a bit less free cash, but I may be wrong.

Just DO this cycle. Not like the admissions of the DO schools will know, right?

If you're only applying DO then you have nothing to worry about. Yes schools will not know but they may in fact ask if you are apply MD. So your rationale for "why DO" needs to be strong since they may think you are BS-ing them due to your high stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 3.85c/3.9s with no grade replacement and a 33 mcat taken once, but I have weak ECs.

I was wondering whether the DO schools will ignore my app thinking I wouldn't go to their school because my stats may be too high for their class averages?

Also, do DO schools give out scholarships to entice good prospective students to come like MD schools do?

Thanks

I had 1 friend who had the exact same stats that you do. I even made a thread about it because I was wondering if DO schools rejected people who applied to MD schools.

He did not get a single interview from any DO school he applied to, but is at a NY MD medical school now.

But this could just be a n=1 story.

Feels weird being "over qualified" for a school.

Anyways, with regards to the "why DO". Do you think the schools with significant ACGME matches care about this? I heard that some DO schools are very OMM heavy whereas some schools aren't. Am I wrong on this? Just as a note, I am genuinely interested in learning OMM techniques that, if I find effective, I will incorporate into my future practice in medicine.

Honestly I'm not sure, maybe @johnamo or @Mad Jack might have some better insight regarding that question.

Only three schools ignored my app, despite being DO focused- PCOM, NYCOM, and Rowan. Everyone else bit. Probably could have gotten a bite out of one of the three with a well-crafted LOI, but it is also possible what really hurt me was only having 50 volunteer hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only three schools ignored my app, despite being DO focused- PCOM, NYCOM, and Rowan. Everyone else bit. Probably could have gotten a bite out of one of the three with a well-crafted LOI, but it is also possible what really hurt me was only having 50 volunteer hours.

But you worked in healthcare as well right?

But you worked in healthcare as well right?
Yeah, but that doesn't preclude me from hopping through the hoops. A lot of schools have a minimum filter for certain things, it's entirely possible that I just needed 100 hours and then my app would have been acceptable. Impossible to say though. My clinic experience was extremely strong, everything else was extremely weak ot nonexistent in the EC department.

Bit as in they gave you an interview?

Were you an applicant with stats close to mine? If so, anything I should look out for in the interviews in terms of the questions?
I had a 3.8/35. You will get zero questions about being overqualified and will be treated the same as every other interviewee.

Reactions: 4 users
I had a 3.8/35. You will get zero questions about being overqualified and will be treated the same as every other interviewee.

Are you at an allopathic school?

if that is true, you very well might not have gotten any MD acceptance anyway, even with an early/broad application. It is very common to see people with strong stats but weak EC's get rejected across the board by MD.

Reactions: 1 users
if that is true, you very well might not have gotten any MD acceptance anyway, even with an early/broad application. It is very common to see people with strong stats but weak EC's get rejected across the board by MD.
Certain lower and mid-tier MD schools have taken similar students in the past. I mean, I had over 10k clinical hours and a few other things. I also had string connections at Quinnipiac, which also heavily favors clinical hours above all else. Had I waited a year and added some volunteer hours, I probably would have gotten into an MD school, but I was unwilling to wait, cause I'm old as dirt.

Certain lower and mid-tier MD schools have taken similar students in the past. I mean, I had over 10k clinical hours and a few other things. I also had string connections at Quinnipiac, which also heavily favors clinical hours above all else. Had I waited a year and added some volunteer hours, I probably would have gotten into an MD school, but I was unwilling to wait, cause I'm old as dirt.

Dirt isn't that old depending on where you're at!

Oh, and what I can tell you, OP, is that you'll stand an excellent chance at Nova, LECOM, and Touro. They love high stats, so if any of them appeal to you, apply.

This is a pre-med urban legend. My school has accepted people with Stanford/Harvard caliber stats.

They do not ignore high stat applicants but they do tend to look for more well rounded individuals than MD schools. That being said the stats for students enrolling at DO schools are a level below that for MD schools. People with high stats are more likely to choose MD over DO, but there are high stat students at DO schools, quite a few at mine, many could not get into MD.

MD schools will ignore you for being several years out of school, they often make it harder for older applicants to gain admission, DO schools tend to value things like maturity and life experiences. Having excellent grades and MCAT scores won't keep you out of consideration at most DO programs though.

They do not ignore high stat applicants but they do tend to look for more well rounded individuals than MD schools. That being said the stats for students enrolling at DO schools are a level below that for MD schools. People with high stats are more likely to choose MD over DO, but there are high stat students at DO schools, quite a few at mine, many could not get into MD.

MD schools will ignore you for being several years out of school, they often make it harder for older applicants to gain admission, DO schools tend to value things like maturity and life experiences. Having excellent grades and MCAT scores won't keep you out of consideration at most DO programs though.

Thats worrisome. I graduated from college 3 years ago and am 25 years old. ughh

Thats worrisome. I graduated from college 3 years ago and am 25 years old. ughh

If you have been out of school more than 5 years, to many Allopathic schools that is seen as a negative. Unless you were doing something extraordinary with that time like working for the Peace Corps or some kind of major altruistic activity. I looked at the statistics for my undergraduate school, applicants to allopathic medical schools who were outside of school more than 5 years had a much lower rate of admission than those who were only out a year or two or seniors.

Regardless if your initials are "MD" or "DO" or "MBBS"(UK equivalent to MD), you will be a physician.

If you have been out of school more than 5 years, to many Allopathic schools that is seen as a negative. Unless you were doing something extraordinary with that time like working for the Peace Corps or some kind of major altruistic activity. I looked at the statistics for my undergraduate school, applicants to allopathic medical schools who were outside of school more than 5 years had a much lower rate of admission than those who were only out a year or two or seniors.

Well its been 3, and I have had an illness to treat and get under control. Major reason I've been out for so long. In fact this is my first time applying. My original plan was to be the traditional pre-med until illness hit me hard senior year.

Well its been 3, and I have had an illness to treat and get under control. Major reason I've been out for so long. In fact this is my first time applying. My original plan was to be the traditional pre-med until illness hit me hard senior year.

I think if you explain that in your application, they won't hold that against you in that case. Many other people spend time out of school doing things unrelated to healthcare, MD schools tend to be kind of rigid, whereas DO schools tend to see the whole application. I know this from my own experience applying to both.

I interviewed at two Allopathic institutions and they grilled me as to why I was applying so many years after graduating. DO schools saw my experience in the real world as a refreshing and interesting topic. It was quite a contrast.

As I stated before whether you are an MD or DO, you will still be a physician.

I think if you explain that in your application, they won't hold that against you in that case. Many other people spend time out of school doing things unrelated to healthcare, MD schools tend to be kind of rigid, whereas DO schools tend to see the whole application. I know this from my own experience applying to both.

I interviewed at two Allopathic institutions and they grilled me as to why I was applying so many years after graduating. DO schools saw my experience in the real world as a refreshing and interesting topic. It was quite a contrast.

As I stated before whether you are an MD or DO, you will still be a physician.

MD schools can grill me all they want, I'm just gonna tell them the truth. If they cant accept that I refuse to apply to medical school while ill, then so be it.

I'm sure they will be more concerned of my 29 MCAT than that though.

MD schools can grill me all they want, I'm just gonna tell them the truth. If they cant accept that I refuse to apply to medical school while ill, then so be it.

I think that might be the case, most MD schools want at least a 30, the average is 31 for MD schools. Make sure you highlight activities outside of school that would indicate to them that you would be suited to be a medical doctor, such as your ability to work with other people.

I think that might be the case, most MD schools want at least a 30, the average is 31 for MD schools. Make sure you highlight activities outside of school that would indicate to them that you would be suited to be a medical doctor, such as your ability to work with other people.

I have phlebotomy and hospice work! Plus I got hired as a medical scribe recently

Thanks
No, it won't be ignored. This is a classic SDN myth.

Regardless if your initials are "MD" or "DO" or "MBBS"(UK equivalent to MD), you will be a physician.

I graduated in May 2013 and did a year of research followed by Teach for America (entering 2nd year). I'll be applying June 2016. How would that be seen by allopathic schools?

Trying out the multi-quote function for the first time (with kudos to Winged Scapula)

I can't see a school dinging you for making a good choice. Applying when you're off your game is not a good choice.

A 29 is still in striking distance for a decent number of MD schools. the bolded is key to balance of the < avg MCAT.

Always a plus. I think you know that I also highly value hospice work.
I have phlebotomy and hospice work! Plus I got hired as a medical scribe recently

I also have a high opinion of both teachers and TFA. I believe that some other Adcoms have also expressed this view.
I graduated in May 2013 and did a year of research followed by Teach for America (entering 2nd year). I'll be applying June 2016. How would that be seen by allopathic schools?

Reactions: 3 users
Hmmm...it works! Whaddya think, kids?
I notice your responses are usually above the text you've quoted (either with multiquote or the old fashioned way) rather than below. So I keep having to turn my computer screen upside down to read things the usual way.

Reactions: 2 users