do employers check your medical history?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mongoose539

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
wondering if an employer (pharmacy) would check your medical history... what meds you've been taking in the past, etc, and make judgment based upon it.

most worried about some SSRI's i took during a stint of depression after seeing my gf's dad die right in front of me.

also concerned if a medical marijuana card would show up through some kind of search

Members don't see this ad.

I seriously doubt any school would look up a medical history during the application process. Only after admission would I imagine medical history comes into play (passing drug tests and other tests to work at certain cites).

I realize that it's really anecdotal, but even my supervisors, who know I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was discharged from the Army, don't ask, and never did ask, about medication.

As far as medical marijuana... I've got no idea how that'd factor into Pharmacy school or a job in a Pharmacy. I have to assume that to discriminate against you based on your legal prescription(s) would be illegal.

Members don't see this ad :)
wondering if an employer (pharmacy) would check your medical history... what meds you've been taking in the past, etc, and make judgment based upon it.

most worried about some SSRI's i took during a stint of depression after seeing my gf's dad die right in front of me.

also concerned if a medical marijuana card would show up through some kind of search

Better question is CAN they. I would think you'd be protected by HIPAA. I mean, I can't go check your medical history, so why would an employer be able to?

Legally, I think the most that they can do is ask whether that you have a condition that would prevent you from performing your duty even with reasonable accommodations made (for example, a blind retail pharmacist).

A "prescription" for marijuana is not legal because it is a C-1 drug. It will show up on a drug test. The company will have the right to refuse to hire you because of that.

Funny how Marijuana is listed as a C1.

(1) Schedule I.—
(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision." [8]
No prescriptions may be written for Schedule I substances, and such substances are subject to production quotas by the DEA.
Under the DEA's interpretation of the CSA, a drug does not necessarily have to have the same abuse potential as heroin or cocaine to merit placement in Schedule I (in fact, cocaine is currently a Schedule II drug due to limited medical use):[10]

A ( )

B ( )

C ( )

Bogus [x]

Makes sense....

Legally, I think the most that they can do is ask whether that you have a condition that would prevent you from performing your duty even with reasonable accommodations made (for example, a blind retail pharmacist).

This is on every application I've seen and it's about as far as employers can go. As someone who has BEEN an employer, my application (which was drawn up by my attorney) had this very question on it.

"Do you have any medical or mental illnesses that will restrict you in the performance of your duties? yes no"

Mainly, this is protection for the employer. If it turns out you had a pre-existing physical condition that wouldn't allow you to lift over 10 pounds and you were just hired in a lumber yard.. well.. they're gonna fire you. When you try to collect unemployment or sue the company they're gonna refer back to your application in which you didn't show your pre-existing medical condition.

Be careful with how you answer that question - it could really bite you in the ass in the future. If you have something you're concerned about bring it up with the employer and get it in writing. It's a smart thing to do.

i believe its illegal.

trust me, if its hard enough to get into people's medical records for security clearances, and even then there were a ton of steps we had to go through. there is no way you can get it as an employer (legally).

there is confidentiality between doctor and patient, no one can get your prescriptions or medical records without a release from you.

can they ask you? now thats a different issue, but i know for a fact they can not dig through your medical records without your consent.

touchy subject... especially with the drug testing that employers can do

i wonder how marijuana is looked at

Prop 215 requires what's known as a recommendation from a physician, it isn't a prescription, so Genesis is correct. And it is also a Schedule I narcotic, so really he is not wrong at all.

He is only wrong if he means that there is no way to legally use marijuana medicinally, be he is not wrong by saying that a prescription for MrJ is illegal, because these are not prescriptions (like for MediCann).

Funny how Marijuana is listed as a C1.

(1) Schedule I.—
(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision." [8]
No prescriptions may be written for Schedule I substances, and such substances are subject to production quotas by the DEA.
Under the DEA's interpretation of the CSA, a drug does not necessarily have to have the same abuse potential as heroin or cocaine to merit placement in Schedule I (in fact, cocaine is currently a Schedule II drug due to limited medical use):[10]

A ( )

B ( )

C ( )

Bogus [x]

Makes sense....

Most C-II drugs are, in my opinion, more dangerous that marijuana. Alcohol certainly is, and nicotine is much, much worse. But the system is much harder to change than it is to put in place, so we're left with what we have. It's sad.

Prop 215 requires what's known as a recommendation from a physician, it isn't a prescription, so Genesis is correct. And it is also a Schedule I narcotic, so really he is not wrong at all.

He is only wrong if he means that there is no way to legally use marijuana medicinally, be he is not wrong by saying that a prescription for MrJ is illegal, because these are not prescriptions (like for MediCann).

Point taken, although, I felt like he/she was implying that any use of marijuana was illegal and thats not the case. I'm sure he/she will clarify.

You should read the Americans with Disabilities Act: http://www.independentliving.org/docs3/ada.html#104

Regarding background checks:

Employers may not ask job applicants about medical information or require a physical examination prior to offering employment. After employment is offered, an employer can only ask for a medical examination if it is required of all employees holding similar jobs.
If you are turned down for work based on the results of a medical examination, the employer must prove that it is physically impossible for you to do the work required.

Regarding illegal drugs:

d) Definition of Illegal use of drugs.

• (1) In general. The term illegal use of drugs means the use of drugs, the possession or distribution of which is unlawful under the Controlled Substances Act (21 USC 812). Such term does not include the use of a drug taken under supervision by a licensed health care professional, or other uses authorized by the Controlled Substances Act or other provisions of Federal law.
  • (2) Drugs. The term drug means a controlled substance, as defined in schedules I through V of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act.
On a side note: According to this LA times article http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-me-marijuana25jan25,0,6346968.story?page=2

The ONLY state in the US with any laws that protects you from getting fired for medical marijuana use is Rhode Island.

So there you have it. Either you move to Rhode Island, or be an unemployed pharmacist.