DO fellowship after MD residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoosername

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for DOs to pursue an osteopathic fellowship (of any type, not just OMT) after completing an allopathic residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes with some requirements. Usually an AOA approved internship needs to be completed. This is at least a rule in PA.

You can get your first year of ACGME residency approved as an "AOA internship."

You don't have to go back and do another year.

You can get your first year of ACGME residency approved as an "AOA internship."

You don't have to go back and do another year.

This doesnt always happen. ~90% are approved but it can stink if your in that 10%

also, please pay attention to the current proposed modification to the rule 42 modification of the approval process for ACGME internship. It may become much harder than it is now.

This doesnt always happen. ~90% are approved but it can stink if your in that 10%

Just don't do a an ACGME residency in the same town where there is an AOA residency. Use some common sense.

Just don't do a an ACGME residency in the same town where there is an AOA residency. Use some common sense.

The thing that frustrates me about this, is that there may a limited # of osteo residencies in "the same town" AND, their offerings, i.e in house fellowships, maybe nill and that may be the only osteo program to "choose" from, making it not a choice. So the moral is: go to the only osteo program with less offering, or choose from the many allo programs and get screwed in the end b/c there was an osteo program in the "same town"?!? How to deal with this dillemma?

IS the AOA actually going to backtrack on the resolution!?! They should just let students do whatever they want. Why be all poopy about it?Its gonna be like that eventually anyway, as new recruits file in, I would imagine. Why delay the inevitable?

The thing that frustrates me about this, is that there may a limited # of osteo residencies in "the same town" AND, their offerings, i.e in house fellowships, maybe nill and that may be the only osteo program to "choose" from, making it not a choice. So the moral is: go to the only osteo program with less offering, or choose from the many allo programs and get screwed in the end b/c there was an osteo program in the "same town"?!? How to deal with this dillemma?

Um. Apply to both. You only get in trouble if you fail to apply for the AOA program.