do health science classes count as BCMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatescience

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this was answered before!

Members don't see this ad.

No. They count as HEAL.

...Unless, of course, the title, subject, and content of these courses lie in the realm of anatomy, physiology, or other subjects that fall within the BCPM category. I took many courses that could have easily have been counted as BCPM (biology), but I chose to stay conservative with my judgement calls and reserved this strictly for courses that were titled: "Human Anatomy", "Human Physiology", "Musculoskeletal Human Anatomy", etc... I just wanted to make sure that there could be no arguments made against these courses falling under biology (which AMCAS clearly states that anatomy and phsiology courses certainly do). Other courses like: "Exercise Physiology", "Biomechanics of Human Movement", etc., could have easily fallen under physiology and physics (exercise physiology was nothing more than human physiology with an emphasis on exercise, and biomechanics was nothing more than physics applied to human movement), but I didn't want to press the matter (either way my BCPM gpa was awesome without it)...

...if AMCAS disagrees with you they will just make changes accordingly, or send your application back to you so that you can make changes accordingly. If you can get your professors of these courses in question to verify to AMCAS that the subject matter of these courses lie in the realm of BCPM then you can overturn AMCAS' initial decisions. The only negative aspect of AMCAS calling you on your course classifications would be delays in the processing of your application, which is no big deal as long as you get your application submitted as early as possible.

I simply recommend you carefully read the AMCAS instructions regarding this matter, ask your pre-med advisers and counselors about this matter for their opinions, and ultimately make your own decision based on what you think is right. There is plenty of flexibility within AMCAS' policies (they even told me that people were able to count some of their psychology courses as chemistry courses because they argued that the subject matter largely dealt with the chemistry of the nervous system...go figure...).