This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cogechi216547

Reaction score
OptomCAS calculated:

cGPA = 2.91
sGPA = 2.66
I just want to know if I even have a chance. I take my OAT on the 20th of this month and I am pretty sure I can get well over 300 if I continue to slave myself for the next week and some change. I have over 2000+ hours of shadowing and working as a tech, I have 3 stellar letters of rec, plenty of community service that dates back to high school, I am in a well known sorority and have plenty of organization and leadership experience including membership in POPS at my school... I am just scared and this is all I can think about. I've aplied to ICO, IAUPR, Nova, SCCO, UIW, and I'm still thinking about applying to UC Berkeley, UP Kentucky, and MCPHS.

Midwestern has already rejected me based on low GPA. But that's it.

My top choice is Nova but I am afraid my GPA may be too low.

I just need some real advice or words of encouragement.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OptomCAS calculated:

cGPA = 2.91
sGPA = 2.66
I just want to know if I even have a chance. I take my OAT on the 20th of this month and I am pretty sure I can get well over 300 if I continue to slave myself for the next week and some change. I have over 2000+ hours of shadowing and working as a tech, I have 3 stellar letters of rec, plenty of community service that dates back to high school, I am in a well known sorority and have plenty of organization and leadership experience including membership in POPS at my school... I am just scared and this is all I can think about. I've aplied to ICO, IAUPR, Nova, SCCO, UIW, and I'm still thinking about applying to UC Berkeley, UP Kentucky, and MCPHS.

question: "Midwestern has already rejected you" before interview or after interview? thanks

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a solid chance at schools like MCPHS and NECO. Even the other schools like NSU you mentioned based on your character and experience in the field. I don't think I'd bother applying to Berkley though. The chance for that school is very slim. You probably shouldn't even look at IAUPR, you'd get in 100%, but you'd end up struggling/dropping out or something. I've heard terrible things and I don't think its worth it. If you don't get into any school this year, just take a gap year and focus on raising your GPA.

When you get interviews, just make sure to let your personality shine! I can really tell that you're a well-rounded person which is what most optometry programs look for. And the way I see it is if a school already rejects you based on GPA alone, it is probably not a place where students like us can thrive.

Good luck on your OAT! Just make sure to do a LOT of timed practice and I'm sure you'll be fine. We all need words of encouragement and this forum has really helped me to boost my confidence for the OAT so hopefully I managed to help you out in some way.

I think you have a solid chance at schools like MCPHS and NECO. Even the other schools like NSU you mentioned based on your character and experience in the field. I don't think I'd bother applying to Berkley though. The chance for that school is very slim. You probably shouldn't even look at IAUPR, you'd get in 100%, but you'd end up struggling/dropping out or something. I've heard terrible things and I don't think its worth it. If you don't get into any school this year, just take a gap year and focus on raising your GPA.

When you get interviews, just make sure to let your personality shine! I can really tell that you're a well-rounded person which is what most optometry programs look for. And the way I see it is if a school already rejects you based on GPA alone, it is probably not a place where students like us can thrive.

Good luck on your OAT! Just make sure to do a LOT of timed practice and I'm sure you'll be fine. We all need words of encouragement and this forum has really helped me to boost my confidence for the OAT so hopefully I managed to help you out in some way.
I'm definitely going to submit my application to MCPHS and NECO now! This means a lot.

I’m in the same boat as you and recently I’ve been panicking about this cycle too. It’s all I think about everyday but I’ve been trying to take the advices I got on here. Don’t let it get to you. Midwestern has a minimum science gpa of 2.75 and that’s why you were screened out. There’s plenty of other schools that don’t have that science gpa requirement(although they will say the recommend it to be a certain gpa). Nova is one of those schools I believe. Your overall needs to be at least a 2.8 but your science is recommended to be 3.0 and above. That doesn’t mean they won’t look at your application. A great OAT score and your experiences and rec letters also matter. Good luck this cycle!

OptomCAS calculated:

cGPA = 2.91
sGPA = 2.66

My top choice is Nova but I am afraid my GPA may be too low.

Hey, did you hear back from any schools?