Other OT-Related Information Do I have a chance at OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am an undergrad health sciences major at james madison university, pre-occupational therapy. to be honest, this forum freaks me out because everyone has such high GPA's. At JMU, its really hard to get above a 3.0, let alone a 3.5 with a major like health sciences. I have a 2.99 right now as a sophomore (rising junior) and I got a C in anatomy, planning to retake though. I have 15 observation hours already and am planning to observe at a hospital this summer. What can I do NOW to ensure that I get into OT school, it is such a huge dream of mine and I've been doubting myself recently.

Members don't see this ad.

I had similar problems and ended up having to retake both A&P I and II. My GPA is a 3.3 which knocked me from even getting an interview at well known and very competitive schools. I would try to get as many shadowing hours and volunteer hours as possible.Shadow in inpatient, outpatient, hospitals, geriatric facilities, pieds, etc. Shadowing is definitely important but a lot of programs also want to see that you are involved in the community as well. Develop great relationships with OTs you shadow and people you volunteer for, this will pay off when you need them to fill out recommendation letters.

Start looking into schools that do not use OTCAS. In my experience, schools that have their own applications focus much more on you as a whole rather than just your grades and test scores. Look into schools that are not as well known or that are in more rural parts of the country, often these schools do not get as many applicants. If you can move away for school, widen your search to all over the US. Be flexible, you may get accepted to a school in an area that you do not way to live but it is only for 2.5 years then you can move wherever you want.

Start thinking about what you are going to write in your personal essay. This is where you sell yourself to the school and make them realize why they have to have you as a student. An amazing personal essay can make you stand out so start jotting down thoughts now and write then rewrite it multiple times. Also have multiple people read it over and give feedback.

If you're a great test taker then take the GRE and find schools that look at test scores. If you have scores way above their minimum requirements this can also set you apart from others. Focus on getting the best grades possible your junior year. Many schools look at your last 60 credit hours so try to get as many A's as possible.

Hope this helps some! It's super stressful but just remember that in the end it will be worth it!

Reactions: 1 users
Work your butt off to raise your gpa. Get observation hours in a variety of settings. Get involved in other things that interest you. During my ugrad, I did research, worked, and was a volunteer emt.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am a senior at JMU so i thought me answering would help :) I agree, coming on here and seeing all these high GPAs are intimidating. I had around a 3.1 after my sophomore year so i was in a similar situation. I managed to raise it to around a 3.35 by the time i applied to all of the schools, so definitely work as hard as you can to raise that obviously. It will be easier to do so once you are through those gen eds and actually get to focus on classes you are passionate about! Besides that, DEFINITELY get as many hours as possible, and also in various settings. My GPA was below average for a lot of schools, and i believe the fact that I have 150 hours in 3 different settings were a big part of me getting into to the places I did. Message me if you have any other questions for sure!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi yall!

I'm an OT1 at Creighton University, and I was in your shoes just last year. I only had a 3.3 GPA and about a 3.3 science GPA. I got 3 interviews at schools, and was waitlisted or rejected everywhere except for Creighton. The application process can be super hard on you, but its overly rewarding in the end! My best advice is to work hard to get the GPA as close to 3.5 as possible. Get a bunch of experience in different settings, not just one. That way you can have a lot to talk about in interviews. Also; volunteer and hold leaderships positions. Do all you can to make yourself well rounded. Most interviews are closed - meaning if they invite you to an interview they are no longer focusing on your grades, and it solely counts from the interview. The professor who interviews you wont have anything from your application, and your grades don't come into play anymore. Just remember that!! Also - the chances of getting into private school is better than public (AKA why im paying 32,000 a year for a degree....) always something to keep in mind! I absolutely love Creighton University and I'm really happy that I decided to get a doctorate. Let me know if anyone wants my email to talk further or ask any questions. I love helping out new applicants.

Reactions: 4 users
Idk anything about your school. Pretty sure all OT programs screen people who dont have a 3.0. OTCAS probably discards your app if the schools have it set that way. They probably wouldn't admit you without a 3.5 cum or sci gpa. Acing A and P is important.

Last 60 creds with upward movement is the best way.

Can you take classes at a comm college or another university?