Do I have a shot at MD? or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I received my MCAT score today (6/1 exam) and got a 504 (129/125/125/125). I felt confident in the CARS and Psych sections so I am not sure why it didn't reflect in my score, but I know I am capable of something higher. My cGPA is 3.71 and sGPA is 3.75. My activities include research, a lot of community service (local and national), shadowing, tutoring various subjects, teaching assistant, four leadership positions in social justice/service organizations, and volunteering abroad.

I am trying to figure out what to do next. Do you think I should retake the exam in August and apply this cycle for MD? Or will I have to definitely take a gap year? I am also applying to some DO schools but really want to try my best to get into an MD program.

Any comments and suggestions on MD/DO schools are welcome!! Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you URM? What is your state of residence?

Regardless, you are competitive for all D.O. schools, so if you're fine with D.O., definitely apply this cycle.

M.D. will be a gamble if you are not URM. 504 is definitely not an auto-reject, though. You could try your state M.D.'s if you have any. Retake the MCAT if you're dead set on M.D. for better chances, and only if you feel like you are able to raise your score to 508+.

Are you URM? What is your state of residence?

Regardless, you are competitive for all D.O. schools, so if you're fine with D.O., definitely apply this cycle.

M.D. will be a gamble if you are not URM. 504 is definitely not an auto-reject, though. You could try your state M.D.'s if you have any. Retake the MCAT if you're dead set on M.D. for better chances, and only if you feel like you are able to raise your score to 508+.

Thank you! I would not be considered URM (I am Indian/Asian) and I live in GA! I think I am leaning towards retaking it, but I wasn't sure how badly the timing would affect my chances this cycle.

Retake MCAT, shoot for 507+ and apply next cycle if you really want that MD.

If you don't care or want to apply now, apply only DO. You are competitive at all DO schools except AZCOM, CCOM, Touro-CA and NY, and Western-COMP.