Do I have chance at Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saphireee343

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!! I am a going to be a junior this fall at a public university in My state.. My major started off as psychology... But then I realized that I really want to be in the medical field so I added biological sciences this year. So first off my GPA at the moment is pretty low... 2.5. :( I have been struggling a little for the last 2 years. Well I wouldn't say struggling but I have just been having a super hard concentrating and just organizing everything in life. My freshmen year in 2014 (fall) I made 2 C's and a B. I also had like 3 withdrawals. That spring semester I did horrible!!!! I made an F in a super easy class which is really embarrassing and also I had 2 W's. (I honestly didn't know/understand what a withdrawal was, but now I do) I was super stressed out during that semester for a number of reasons and I also made 2 C's that semester. I took 2 classes during the summer and made 2 Ds. Fall of 2015 (sophomore year) i took 2 classes and made As. That spring I took like 19 hours and made 2 A's 3 B's 1 C and a D. This summer I took 3 classes. I failed chemistry made D in oral com and a C in developmental psych. The main reason I failed chemistry is because I didn't turn in a **** ton of assignments. That sounds horrible, I know! My transcript is horrible and really embarrassing. I've been having breakdowns panicking because I feel as if it's too late to fix my gpa and get accepted to med school...
I know by reading this post I may seem like an idiot lol but I am not. I have a really hard time focusing, I have poor time management skills, even with day to day life, and my brain is on 1001 things constantly, so I am actually getting evaluated for adhd next week b/c my doctor reccomended me to do so. So y'all tell me what are my chances of getting into med school if I do pretty well the next two years!!!! (Morehouse or Meharry)

I told myself that if I do have adhd (which I know I do) and even after treatments and therapy If I still do poorly then I'm not going to even try the whole med school thing anymore...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would have to retake classes that you got a C or D in. But even that, AMCAS averages the retakes so your GPA won't bump up significantly just by this alone.

AACOMAS does full grade replacement, so any class you retake, the higher one is the one used to calculate your gpa's. Assuming you retake those low grade classes, do well, your gpa will bump up much higher.

Then there's the mcat. But, I wouldn't even bother with that right now, until your grades are situated.

Reactions: 1 user
You would have to retake classes that you got a C or D in. But even that, AMCAS averages the retakes so your GPA won't bump up significantly just by this alone.

AACOMAS does full grade replacement, so any class you retake, the higher one is the one used to calculate your gpa's. Assuming you retake those low grade classes, do well, your gpa will bump up much higher.

Then there's the mcat. But, I wouldn't even bother with that right now, until your grades are situated.
Thanks! Most of the classes I got a C/D in were prereqs or electives. None of them were in any science classes, except the F I got in chemistry this summer... I'm going to take it once step at a time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Most of the classes I got a C/D in were prereqs or electives. None of them were in any science classes, except the F I got in chemistry this summer... I'm going to take it once step at a time.
My University allows you to repeat up to 12 hours (only Ds and Fs) which replaces your old grade In your GPA but you can still see the D or F on transcript. If I repeat those classes and make As + Bs for the next 2 years could I still have a chance?

My University allows you to repeat up to 12 hours (only Ds and Fs) which replaces your old grade In your GPA but you can still see the D or F on transcript. If I repeat those classes and make As + Bs for the next 2 years could I still have a chance?
AMCAS doesn't follow your university grade replacement policy.
The non-Texas DO school do allow replacement of grades, though.

Everyone has a chance, if that's what you're looking to hear. But again, you would have to turn the gpa around big time. And crush the MCAT, and have all your ECs in order.

So y'all tell me what are my chances of getting into med school if I do pretty well the next two years!!!! (Morehouse or Meharry)

Pretty darn hard to get even an interview from those 2 schools if you're not African American

AMCAS doesn't follow your university grade replacement policy.
The non-Texas DO school do allow replacement of grades, though.
Pretty darn hard to get even an interview from those 2 schools if you're not African American
Really? I am AA though. Hopefully if I get my **** together I will be able to apply.