Do I have chances to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heatherp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm a junior (undergrad) and my cumulative gpa is a 3.6, but this semester I took on too many activities (including school activities and a promotion at work), and the result was my grades dropping. I have a flat 3.0 gpa for this semester, and was wondering if i still have a good chance to get into medical school. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I will in the spring. And since I'm going to have a drop in my gpa, does that mean I'm going to need a higher MCAT score to be considered?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm a junior (undergrad) and my cumulative gpa is a 3.6, but this semester I took on too many activities (including school activities and a promotion at work), and the result was my grades dropping. I have a flat 3.0 gpa for this semester, and was wondering if i still have a good chance to get into medical school. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I will in the spring. And since I'm going to have a drop in my gpa, does that mean I'm going to need a higher MCAT score to be considered?
If your overall GPA is 3.6, including the 3.0 for this term, then you'd likely be fine with a average-for-acceptees MCAT score, so long as you have an upward grade trend next year before applying. If you did not include the 3.0 in the cumulative GPA you gave us, then I figure your overall GPA is down to a 3.5 or so. Logically, for your admission chances to be the same, you'd aim for a stronger MCAT score to compensate (along with the upward grade trend). See sector9's sticky at the top of this forum for a better appreciation of the change in chances depending on application stats for past applicants.