Do I have a chance of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSHH1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior biology major with psychology minor. I have a 3.56 gpa.
I am currently studying for the MCAT for this summer. I have been a physiology TA for many semester and continue through senior year. Volunteered with homeless shelter clinic, ER at local hospital, and special needs programs. I am president of my honor society, and started many new volunteering and leadership opportunities in it. I have approximately 50 shadowing hours and 5o volunteering hours. I will hopefully be in the summer undergraduate research program at my local medical school this summer. The practice test I have taken for MCAT approximate my score to 510. My state med school is UNMC.
So, what I am asking is do I have a chance to get in? I feel like others are so much smarter than me, so I worry that I do not stand out at all. I have good interview skills but I honestly do not know how far that gets people. My grades are "mehhh..." and I do not have any amazing stand out qualities/experiences.
What do you guys think...? Do I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a junior biology major with psychology minor. I have a 3.56 gpa.
I am currently studying for the MCAT for this summer. I have been a physiology TA for many semester and continue through senior year. Volunteered with homeless shelter clinic, ER at local hospital, and special needs programs. I am president of my honor society, and started many new volunteering and leadership opportunities in it. I have approximately 50 shadowing hours and 5o volunteering hours. I will hopefully be in the summer undergraduate research program at my local medical school this summer. The practice test I have taken for MCAT approximate my score to 510. My state med school is UNMC.
So, what I am asking is do I have a chance to get in? I feel like others are so much smarter than me, so I worry that I do not stand out at all. I have good interview skills but I honestly do not know how far that gets people. My grades are "mehhh..." and I do not have any amazing stand out qualities/experiences.
What do you guys think...? Do I have a chance?

You seem to be on the right track. I would recommend a gap year and finishing strong to bring up your GPA (and end with an upward trend). Ace the MCAT; take it only when you are ready. 50 volunteering hours is a bit low, so you should try to get that number higher.