Do I have the right type of research for an MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

random57

Reaction score
I've been considering getting an MD/PhD, however much of my research has been in behavioral neuroscience (attention research and epilepsy related research with mice) and more recently neuropsychology/neurolinguistics research. I have done research in three labs starting my sophomore year (currently a junior) and have worked full time over the summer in an epilepsy lab. I don't have any publications but was first author for an abstract my PI presented on at a conference. If I want to pursue a biomedical science PhD will my lack of traditional bench research prevent me from getting acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say the type of research that you've been doing would prevent you from getting into a program. Rather, you've worked in 3 different labs in ~1 year. You should instead focus on having a longitudinal experience in a lab, and be productive during that experience. The more you focus on one lab, the more you'll have to show for it: conference presentations (of your own), publications, etc.

Reactions: 3 users