Do I need Post-Bacc? DIY or Formal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cupcake100

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been a frequent visitor to SDN and have finally decided to create my own post. I would appreciate any help you could provide!

Background: I am a recent graduate with the hopes of becoming a doctor. I struggled my first two years and it really negatively affected my GPA (info below). There is an upward trend after I started taking upper-divisions.

I've been reading a lot of literature and I am confused as to what my next steps should be. To lift my GPA I'm unclear if I should do a DIY postbacc or a formal one (or maybe even a SMP?? Or both??). Being able to tailor my coursework along with the price is why I'm considering DIY. BUT I'm wondering if the letters and linkages from a formal program would be worth it.

What are my chances into getting into med school? I'm afraid that even if I were to get straight A's in postbacc it won't be enough.

Thanks!

Info:

GPA: cGPA 3.113, sGPA 2.9 (with a 3.6 upper division GPA, 2 semesters of Dean's honors list)

MCAT: 511

Shadowing 60+ hours.

Involved in research during undergrad.

Involved in multiple volunteer organizations (tons of hours). I have had a couple leadership positions within these organizations.

Currently working as a scribe.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. I have been a frequent visitor to SDN and have finally decided to create my own post. I am feeling pretty lost and deflated and would appreciate any help you could provide!

Background: I am a recent graduate with a BS in Neuroscience with the hopes of becoming a doctor. I struggled my first two years and it really negatively affected my GPA (info below). There is an upward trend after I started taking upper-divisions, however, multiple B's and C's in my first two years have really hurt my GPA.

I've been reading a lot of literature and I am confused as to what my next steps should be. I figure there's no way I'd have a chance applying DO as is. To lift my GPA I'm unclear if I should do a DIY postbacc or a formal one (or maybe even a SMP?? Or both??). There would be multiple classes I'd have to retake (namely Chem/Physics) along with "advanced" coursework. Being able to tailor my coursework along with the price is why I'm considering DIY. BUT I'm wondering if the letters and linkages from a formal program would be worth it.

Also, I'm afraid since I have so many science credits from undergrad I will have to take a lot of classes to make a significant difference on my GPA. Less important but still something I am considering, I took my MCAT in 2019 and I'm worried it won't be feasible to complete postbacc and apply before my MCAT expires.

What are my chances into getting into med school? I'm afraid that even if I were to get straight A's in postbacc it won't be enough.

Thanks!

Info:

GPA: cGPA 3.113, sGPA 2.9 (with a 3.6 upper division GPA, 2 semesters of Dean's honors list)

Shadowing 60+ hours.

Involved in behavioral research during undergrad.

Involved in multiple volunteer organizations (tons of hours), most of which provided outreach to underserved areas. I have had a couple leadership positions within these organizations.

Currently working as a medical scribe.
Can you give us your year by year GPAs?

It's wild to think someone capable of a 511 could be excluded from medical school candidacy. Does your state medical school(s) have a master's program linked up with the school specifically?

Hi everyone. I have been a frequent visitor to SDN and have finally decided to create my own post. I am feeling pretty lost and deflated and would appreciate any help you could provide!

Background: I am a recent graduate with a BS in Neuroscience with the hopes of becoming a doctor. I struggled my first two years and it really negatively affected my GPA (info below). There is an upward trend after I started taking upper-divisions, however, multiple B's and C's in my first two years have really hurt my GPA.

I've been reading a lot of literature and I am confused as to what my next steps should be. I figure there's no way I'd have a chance applying DO as is. To lift my GPA I'm unclear if I should do a DIY postbacc or a formal one (or maybe even a SMP?? Or both??). There would be multiple classes I'd have to retake (namely Chem/Physics) along with "advanced" coursework. Being able to tailor my coursework along with the price is why I'm considering DIY. BUT I'm wondering if the letters and linkages from a formal program would be worth it.

Also, I'm afraid since I have so many science credits from undergrad I will have to take a lot of classes to make a significant difference on my GPA. Less important but still something I am considering, I took my MCAT in 2019 and I'm worried it won't be feasible to complete postbacc and apply before my MCAT expires.

Thanks!

Info:

Shadowing 60+ hours.

Involved in behavioral research during undergrad.

Involved in multiple volunteer organizations (tons of hours), most of which provided outreach to underserved areas. I have had a couple leadership positions within these organizations.

Currently working as a medical scribe.
Although I’m not in Med school yet, your MCAT score is awesome! No need for a formal post bacc or SMP in my opinion. Do a DIY post bacc and retake your C’s. Add extra science classes in there too. As long as you do well, you should be okay. Bring it up to at least a 3.2 for your science GPA.

Reactions: 1 user