do i need to do away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankNecrosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right now I'm leaning towards psychiatry, but I am also interested in FP. I did my inpatient psychiatry rotation locally and loved it! I am now getting ready to schedule my rotations for next year and I am debating on whether I need to do away psychiatry rotations at residency programs. I would actually really like to do inpatient psychiatry at the same local hospital. But, I know I should seek another institution/ opportunity. Also, my school will only allow three rotations in any one area, and am already planning on doing a child psychiatry rotation in the spring of next year.

So should I try to do an away rotation at a place I could see myself doing residency, or should I do the inpatient psychiatry rotation that I LOVED.

Also, what sort of letters of recommendation will I need to be competetive in psychiatry. I know I can get a great letter from the psych rotation I have already completed, but will I need another letter from a psych doc?

Thanks SO MUCH for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Covered in past posts. Do a search. Doing away rotations isn't necessary to get in, but may help you decide if it's a good fit for you.

Besides a solid letter from psych good letters from any field are fine.

It'd be best to have 2 psych letters if you can. I only had one because I worked with the same attending on both my rotations and my interviewers definitely noted that I only had 1 letter. They didn't really care, but it was noticed.

Are you an USAMG/USIMG/FMG/DO?

USAMG's don't need to do an away to get in just about anywhere except the most competitive places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you an USAMG/USIMG/FMG/DO?

USAMG's don't need to do an away to get in just about anywhere except the most competitive places.

I'm a DO? I didn't think that would make me all that less competetive in psychiatry? Should I step up my game a little?

I'm a DO? I didn't think that would make me all that less competetive in psychiatry? Should I step up my game a little?

I don't think it matters that you're a DO. But I can only speak from my experience as a USAMG.

I generally think pretty much everyone should do an away rotation, but more for yourself than for your application. It is often very helpful to see how your specialty of interest is practiced at other institutions--what is the same, what is different. Until you see other programs and hospitals, it can be hard to tease out what you like/dislike about the specialty itself, vs what aspects are artifacts of local institutional politics. That can help you figure out what exactly you're looking for in a residency as well.