Do I need to retake? Just took DAT, Satisfied.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalSB2016

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took the DAT, I am so happy to be done and honestly wished I got a higher score but to be honest I am happy with my score because I feel like I can still be a strong candidate. I know there are a lot of over-achievers on SDN questioning wether to retake their 23AA because of a 22 on BIO, I never expected to get such scores so my expectations were around a 20AA and ended up with a 19AA.
I wanted to know with strong ECs, hospital experience, 400+ hours shadowing, around 3.5 gpa and a Master program in Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine, if I will still have chances to hear from schools as I do not want to take the test again. Math was super difficult and time was really an issue, I ran out of time and started guessing. I hear that math is least weighted while RC is weighted the most, so I hope that gives me benefit of the doubt. Be nice guys, thanks for your advice and help.
Breakdown
PAT 19
Reading Comp 23
QR 16
GCHEM 19
BIO 18
OCHEM 19
TS 19
AA 19

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your scores are fine. Plenty people get in with a 19AA.

Reactions: 5 users
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is known for higher standards and encouraging people to retake. Your DAT scores are "fine" depending on where you apply. You should apply broadly to private dental schools. If you are feeling ambitious, then you can retake for a 21+ AA and apply to more selective schools.

Reactions: 4 users
The average of your scores is good (19), but there is an issue with the quantitative reasoning. To the best of my knowledge, most schools won't accept DAT scores in any area below a 17 or 18 so if you have oppurtunity to take it again that's what I would do.

Reactions: 1 user
19AA is fine, however, I personally would retake. That's just me though. Plenty of people get in with a 19AA

Reactions: 1 users
6 interview, 5 acceptances here with a 19 AA. You are fine.

Reactions: 5 users
My friend got accepted to two schools his first time applying with a 19AA and a 3.4 GPA, 3.3 science. Interview well though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all the input guys.
Does anyone know the truth behind the cuttoffs and if they apply to math. I've seen on some threads that the above 17 cutoff is only for sciences and then I've also seen it's for math included. Anyone been through this or know of anything as of fact. Thank you

No retake necessary, lift gpa to 3.6+ if possible and apply early

Don't retake.. waste of time/money. Improve other aspects of your app.

So I just took the DAT, I am so happy to be done and honestly wished I got a higher score but to be honest I am happy with my score because I feel like I can still be a strong candidate. I know there are a lot of over-achievers on SDN questioning wether to retake their 23AA because of a 22 on BIO, I never expected to get such scores so my expectations were around a 20AA and ended up with a 19AA.
I wanted to know with strong ECs, hospital experience, 400+ hours shadowing, around 3.5 gpa and a Master program in Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine, if I will still have chances to hear from schools as I do not want to take the test again. Math was super difficult and time was really an issue, I ran out of time and started guessing. I hear that math is least weighted while RC is weighted the most, so I hope that gives me benefit of the doubt. Be nice guys, thanks for your advice and help.
Breakdown
PAT 19
Reading Comp 23
QR 16
GCHEM 19
BIO 18
OCHEM 19
TS 19
AA 19

I think it depends on where you apply! Avoid selective schools!
best of luck!

Check the DAT averages of the schools you're interested in and decide from there. If it's lower than the average at most of those schools you probably want to retake. IMO the DAT is one the easiest aspect of one's application to improve so don't be afraid of retaking it if will improve your chances.

I think you are fine. Most schools do not put a lot of emphasis on the QR. However, some schools may require a 17 cut off, Apply smart (apply to schools that fit your stats/research what cut offs they have), apply early, and broad!